Little pottymouths

Paperipper17

What's the most obscene thing you've heard from a kid?

Last fall I had a juniors game, 12-13 YO, most of these kids' first time on the big fields. R1 goes into second on a steal. Throw beats him by two steps, but, inexplicably, F6 lunges at him. Tags him high on the chest, almost to the neck, well after R1's foot hits the bag. Safe. I'm barely out of my stance when the 12YO F6 yells "Out by a mile, sh*thead!" So long, thanks for playing. Say whatever you want, as far as I'm concerned, but keep it under your breath and don't direct it at me. I've heard some pretty bad things both as an umpire and a player, but it was the age that shocked me. I realize 12 isn't too young to learn the words, but I thought it was too young to direct it at an adult :2cents:

A guy I work with often loves to tell the story about the time a nine YO batter told him he "had to be f***ing blind to call that a strike."

Any other glowing displays of mature expressions of indignation?

Edited by Paperipper17

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I've had much of an issue with younger kids cussing.

But as I agree with your thought of if its under their breath and not directed at me I could care less. Though my money would be on there being some sort of correlation between these 10-12 y/o potty mouths and their parents being the overly obnoxious ones...

got to blame it on the parents...

I called a kid out on strike 3 in a JV game.....he took his bat and stuck the plate while yelling

F%$K!!, F%$K!!,F%$K.!!....

um thanks for playing.....his dad said "why arent you in the game?" He said he got thrown out for something he said....

(now no kidding this is what the dad said)

"what did you F%$king say?"

(the kid replied)

"I dont F%$king know!!"...

true story.....

Edited by Stan W.

I'd have to agree, there almost has to be a correlation between the blowhard parents and the out-of-control kids. And as for the JV kid...just wow. If that wasn't an obvious reason for the hook, I don't know what was. I understand getting a little heated, but heated and obnoxious are two different things. Sounds like that's another case of first-class parenting too.

I do a lot of LL and the majority for me now is Juniors and up but from time to time if we are short handed I may be asked to do a majors or even minors. I have no problem tossing a 13 year old on the spot if he says the magic words but I know it's just a matter of time before I have an 8 year old drop a F bomb on me or something like that. I know this cannot be tolerated at any age but would you handle the situation any different due to the age of the player. I know they have to go but would you handle the actual ejection any different?

I do a lot of LL and the majority for me now is Juniors and up but from time to time if we are short handed I may be asked to do a majors or even minors. I have no problem tossing a 13 year old on the spot if he says the magic words but I know it's just a matter of time before I have an 8 year old drop a F bomb on me or something like that. I know this cannot be tolerated at any age but would you handle the situation any different due to the age of the player. I know they have to go but would you handle the actual ejection any different?

That's hard to say. On one hand, as my dad always says, if you're man enough to say the word, you're man enough to handle the consequences. On the other hand, the kid is probably just repeating something he heard his parents say. But, then again, should that really be our problem? It's a tough question. Even when I ran the 12 YO that called me a "Sh*thead," I heard plenty of buzzing the rest of the game. Any ump that tosses an 8 or 9 YO kid will, I'm sure, catch hell no matter how gently he does it.

I had an 11-12 yr. old game several years back where we had to stop a game because of the time limit after the visitors had already gotten back out on the field. The pitcher dropped the f-bomb (more like yelled it) in the sentence "$%&^ cheaters!" while he was still on the field. There wasn't anything I could have done about it since the game was over.

Please keep tossing these little darlings who do this.

That way, I won't have to correct the mistakes you make when you don't do what's right. :cheers:

Couldn't agree more. Had another guy tell me about a 13 YO he rung up who looked back at him and muttered "f***ing horsesh*t call." he said he warned him. My trigger finger was ITCHING hearing that story. Could not believe he didn't run the kid.

My sister was helping out in a kidergarten class, and one little five year old girls was not having a good day.

"I hate everyone one of you..." as she pointed across the classroom. She then ran her finger from horizon to horizon, and exclaimed "....and this is all bull$#/+".

Yeah, that was straight from Dad, after a tough day at work.

I had an 11-12 yr. old game several years back where we had to stop a game because of the time limit after the visitors had already gotten back out on the field. The pitcher dropped the f-bomb (more like yelled it) in the sentence "$%&^ cheaters!" while he was still on the field. There wasn't anything I could have done about it since the game was over.

You can certainly toss after a game is over as long as you are still on the field.

Couldn't agree more. Had another guy tell me about a 13 YO he rung up who looked back at him and muttered "f***ing horsesh*t call." he said he warned him. My trigger finger was ITCHING hearing that story. Could not believe he didn't run the kid.

His eyes would have rattled at getting tossed so fast.

I was doing a 12U game and heard a 12 year old, mumble to himself after a K..... Next time I heard it, ie another K, I stopped took off my mask and told him "I dont want to hear that from a young man like you again". Crowd got very quiet...and his mom thanked me after the game...

One of our HS umpires called me last season to report an EJ, as they are required to do. Close play at third, runner is banged out. He looks at the umpire, and says "Bullsh*t", but goes on into the third base dugout. Umpire steps into foul territory to tell the coach that he is restricting the player to the dugout. In the process of the explanation, he hears "F-you" from said player. Sorry coach, now he can pay the ejection fine to the state....

One of our HS umpires called me last season to report an EJ, as they are required to do. Close play at third, runner is banged out. He looks at the umpire, and says "Bullsh*t", but goes on into the third base dugout. Umpire steps into foul territory to tell the coach that he is restricting the player to the dugout. In the process of the explanation, he hears "F-you" from said player. Sorry coach, now he can pay the ejection fine to the state....

I've always wondered when it became ok for guys even that age to throw that kind of language at any adult...wouldn't have had to toss me. My dad woulda had me halfway to the car before I got the "you" out of my mouth.:bang:. And in college, my coach would have had me go straight to the track behind the field. Why can't coaches control their kids? I see more encourage it than I do trying to stop it.:D

I've always wondered when it became ok for guys even that age to throw that kind of language at any adult...wouldn't have had to toss me. My dad woulda had me halfway to the car before I got the "you" out of my mouth.:BD:. And in college, my coach would have had me go straight to the track behind the field. Why can't coaches control their kids? I see more encourage it than I do trying to stop it.:o

You and I grew up in the same world. What's happened since then? :home:

You and I grew up in the same world. What's happened since then? :o

:ranton:Parents don't have kids anymore. They have precious snowflakes who are never wrong, never at fault, and never held accountable, and we big, bad umpires, as you well know, only do the job to exert authority and vent our frustrations:rolleyes:. Parents would rather accuse us of trying to cheat their little angels out of a victory in game three of a city 10U rec league than admit that maybe, just maybe, the other team's runner got under the tag at second. And that's exactly where they get it from. In another post I talked about my first 10U game last week, where the fans were getting so bad that my girlfriend decided to watch game 2 from the car after the parents saw us together between games. Literally A: afraid for her safety, and B: was tired of hearing me called every name in the book and a few new ones. I've called DIII and JuCo (Fall), HS, and everything below, and never has something like that happened. But it seems like the younger the kids, the worse the parents.:BD:

Anyway. That's been stewing for awhile:stir. Nothing like a 21-year-old talking about kids these days, right? :home:

Edited by Paperipper17

and we big, bad umpires, as you well know, only do the job to exert authority and vent our frustrations:rolleyes:.

A friend of mine was working a 13-15 yr old BR game a couple years ago. Guess one team wasnt happy with him. All of a sudden he hears one of the moms in the crowd say "the umpire probably goes home after the game and beats his dog!".

Friend whips off the mask and the lady is half way to her car by the time my friend figures out who she was.

Damn funny if you ask me.

Paperipper,

My theory is that most of them are uneducated about things, except for the (misconception) about umpires always being wrong. As such, they think their little star actually has a legitimate chance of getting the big contract one day, and everytime we call something against them, we are derailing that chance. Put 20 or so of them together and you have bread chaos.

Exactly. What, you didn't see the Brewers scout in the press box with the gun on that kid throwing 41? The one that walked five straight and punted his glove across the dugout when he got yanked? And obviously you missed the cross-checker from the Rays. He was watching the left-handed second baseman that struck out three times, then threw the bat against the fence while his dad dog-cussed you for daring to suggest his son's eye for the zone isn't on par with Jeter's. Not to say these kids don't have the same shot of reaching that level as everyone else...but at that age it's about instruction before winning. And if you think your kid is infallible, you aren't teaching him a thing.

A friend of mine was working a 13-15 yr old BR game a couple years ago. Guess one team wasnt happy with him. All of a sudden he hears one of the moms in the crowd say "the umpire probably goes home after the game and beats his dog!".

Friend whips off the mask and the lady is half way to her car by the time my friend figures out who she was.

Damn funny if you ask me.

That is pretty funny:clap:. At least she knew to book it before he sent her out himself. Stupid ump, with his superior vantage point, years of training, and unbiased view. Who does he think he is. :crazy:

Chuck:

First welcome to the site. Second I absolutely agree that many parents are idiots and the younger the kids the worse they are. Third, why is your umpire restricting a player for yakking. I am assuming Fed because they are the only level that has player restriction that I can think of. However, the only reason to restrict a kid is for being an illegal sub. There is no other reason allowed. I have heard of many guys trying to exactly what your buddy did and there is no rule support for it. :shrug:

Do you have a local or state rule that makes that legal? :shrug:

I've called DIII and JuCo (Fall), HS, and everything below, and never has something like that happened. But it seems like the younger the kids, the worse the parents.

There's two reasons for this:

1. There are more parents present.

2. The kids with the bad parents don't make to DIII, JuCo or HS. They're snuffed out at a young age by coaches that care.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a 13 year old F1 last year covering the plate tell me a call was F*#King bullSH*#. His team and hi specifically had been warned about language. While it doesn't offend me, I'm sure not gonna take it in such context.

Me: " Coach, need you need a new pitcher"

HC: "Why"

Me: "Your's is out of the game"

Fairly painless ejection. League convenor was on site so no need for a report!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been lucky in the fact that I have coached in the same league both baseball and softball and know most of the kids. Also, being on the board helps too. I for one won't tollerate any foul mouths on my team. If I know a kid has a history of it, I won't even draft him. I also, at the beginning of the season before the first practice schedule a parents/players coaches meeting and let them know it won't be tolerated, if I hear it in a game I'll pull the offender and they'll watch the rest of the game from the dugout or if it continues they'll be watching from the stands with their parents.

My theory is that most of them are uneducated about things, except for the (misconception) about umpires always being wrong. As such, they think their little star actually has a legitimate chance of getting the big contract one day, and everytime we call something against them, we are derailing that chance. Put 20 or so of them together and you have bread chaos.

I live in Elk Grove CA and this idea is what we call tournament ball. These teams are filled with parents who think their kid is the next superstar and we don't have the right to call his pitches balls if they are off the plate or to call strikes if they don't swing the bat. Some off the comments I get when I do these tournaments are awful. I had one guy who during the game would say something on every pitch that didn't go his way and after the game made it a point to come see me and tell me how bad my zone was. I didn't even grant him a reply. I had anther coach tell me in the plate meeting of a 13u tournament "lets not miss any calls today" :wave:

I don't know why these parents are like this. Its like they think that yelling at the umpire is a part of the game. I really hope that they would learn at some point but I doubt they will.