Fall Ball Schedule

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3892 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

How's your fall ball schedule looking?

My association is gearing up for what looks to be a busier than usual fall ball season. Some of the high schools in our area who were in a "league" using a less expensive and less qualified umpires association have joined another which we have the contract for so there will be more fall ball games for us.

I'm excited to start to work more again I was even just scheduled my first weeknight game in a long time.

I love fall ball because the pressure is off and it's a great time to work on some of the things you've wanted to, but didn't want to distract yourself from the game.

I may need to contact my assignor.... I haven't hear a peep, with the exception of a Labor Day tournament that I worked this past weekend. :HD:

There are very few teams that field fall ball teams, though, so it wouldn't surprise me if I don't get any games. And that's OK, because I've got a nagging achilles heel that needs some rest, and besides, my gear's all cleaned up and put away! ;)

For now, it's beer brewing season! Woo hoo!

Our highschool fall ball has been up and running for two weeks now. That along with football has me in the road alot. Almost as much as spring and summer. By the way, how many of you guys do more than one sport and do you think doing one helps you with the other?

I do baseball, softball, football & wrestling. Working the different sports gives you a different perspective on game management. The tolerances (of coach/fan/player behavior) are different in the different sports and the actions open to the official vary.

For the same action, I can eject in baseball/softball, throw an unsportsmanlike flag (15 yard penalty, 2 = eject), and award a penalty (team point, 2=eject) point in wrestling.

Other than that the games and the mechanics are all very different.

I do baseball and soccer. As Larry says the mechanics are different from sport to sport and wat is acceptable is different from sport to sport. But, game management is the same no matter. Whether I throw a card or eject a coach, it's all management. I think it does help, methods are different but the thought process is the same.

Its only my second year in high school football and it truly is a different animal than baseball. You guys are so right though about game management. The football coaches are more vocal it seems than baseball but handling them is still pretty much the same. I do enjoy the Friday night games alot.

How's your fall ball schedule looking?

My association is gearing up for what looks to be a busier than usual fall ball season. Some of the high schools in our area who were in a "league" using a less expensive and less qualified umpires association have joined another which we have the contract for so there will be more fall ball games for us.

I'm excited to start to work more again I was even just scheduled my first weeknight game in a long time.

I love fall ball because the pressure is off and it's a great time to work on some of the things you've wanted to, but didn't want to distract yourself from the game.

Warren this is the first year that my Fall season is slow. My first game is scheduled for tomorrow but in all likelyhood it will be rained out. It's been raining all day here in NY and the weather calls for more rain tomorrow.

Also, for the first time in many a year we are competing with another assignor for business. Also, the economy is bad and some of the leagues are asking for one umpire only.

All in all from the HS season through summer my schedule has not been near what it was the past 4/5 years partly due to a new assignor taking some business away from us and partly due to a terrible summer in which many of my games were rained out.

Pete Booth

I do baseball, basketball, and am just starting softball this fall. I actually have one softball game, one middle school basketball game, and one baseball game this week. Oh and then a night of youth football games on the side, so I'm doing four sports this week. (I'm not registered for football but it's a small rec league)

I'm still finishing up Adult league, and started fall ball a few weeks ago. DH every Saturday 10 and 12:30 through October. It's nice to be able to still do games, but not at the grinding pace of spring and summer. It's also nice to get done in time to get to the stadium to watch my Boise State Broncos win...............again!

I love doing Fall baseball, the temperature is lower, the attitudes are more relaxed, and the pay is the same. Can't ask for any more than that!

• 3 years later...

Found this old thread.

How is everyone's fall ball schedule looking?

Locally we have some college stuff, college club games and I am hearing about some 90' jr league stuff to help bring some of the 60' kids up to the big field.

This is a great time for the newer umps to work with the older guys - and a great time for the older guys to work on stuff to get better. Looking forward to it.

This should be a busier than usual Fall/Winter for me. I will be doing USSSA Tournaments whenever possible. I have the local Pony League. Lou is seeing if he can get me some junior/senior league baseball games. I will also be assigning High School JV/Freshman DH's starting in October.