Ebay finds

conbo61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1976 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Star-Hollow-Steel-FM25-LMX-Traditional-Baseball-Catchers-Mask-Silver/382552801198?hash=item5911ec7fae:g:IAwAAOSwz-ZbhpqW   @Thunderheads is this an errant listing? The description says hollow steel but it looks like titanium. I don't think All Star has made this mask in hollow steel have they?? If its an error, this is a bargin for someone at $84.99.

7 minutes ago, midtnump said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Star-Hollow-Steel-FM25-LMX-Traditional-Baseball-Catchers-Mask-Silver/382552801198?hash=item5911ec7fae:g:IAwAAOSwz-ZbhpqW   @Thunderheads is this an errant listing? The description says hollow steel but it looks like titanium. I don't think All Star has made this mask in hollow steel have they?? If its an error, this is a bargin for someone at $84.99.

it is ........  all of All Stars masks are hollow steel unless it's the MAG.    This ad is for a regular FM25 but they used the wrong photo

12 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

it is ........  all of All Stars masks are hollow steel unless it's the MAG.    This ad is for a regular FM25 but they used the wrong photo

I thought something was up. It looks too much like this one from All stars website. https://www.all-starsports.com/protective/all-star-traditional-catching-masks.html

2 minutes ago, midtnump said:

I thought something was up. It looks too much like this one from All stars website. https://www.all-starsports.com/protective/all-star-traditional-catching-masks.html

right, it is .......... either the ebay person is trying to deceive, or .... just made a mistake

7 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

right, it is .......... either the ebay person is trying to deceive, or .... just made a mistake

We should email the guy and ask.  Notice his little disclaimer under the photos? If the pic is wrong, then it's basically All-Star's fault he says.

11 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

rip him to pieces wolfe man! :D 

I very politely just informed him of the differences between his mask photo and the listing description.  We'll see if it changes. :)

• Haha 1

@Thunderheads, @wolfe_man, @midtnump... the eBay photo is of a FM25Ti... Titanium.

All-Star does not make a “silver w/ tan” FM25 in hollow steel. They make a grey FM25 in hollow steel with tan LMX pads, but it’s noticeably different and darker than the Titanium version.

Also consider that all stock-standard, brand-new FM25 hollow steel masks have the brand-tab on the chin guard... both to advertise their I-Beam system (not found or necessary on the Titanium) and to hamper the use of single-strap throat guards (eg. Diamond) being hung incorrectly off the bottom of the chin guard.

How hard is it to post a photo of the actual mask??

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MadMax said:

@Thunderheads, @wolfe_man, @midtnump... the eBay photo is of a FM25Ti... Titanium.

All-Star does not make a “silver w/ tan” FM25 in hollow steel. They make a grey FM25 in hollow steel with tan LMX pads, but it’s noticeably different and darker than the Titanium version.

Also consider that all stock-standard, brand-new FM25 hollow steel masks have the brand-tab on the chin guard... both to advertise their I-Beam system (not found or necessary on the Titanium) and to hamper the use of single-strap throat guards (eg. Diamond) being hung incorrectly off the bottom of the chin guard.

How hard is it to post a photo of the actual mask??

Preach brother! :)

The worst part about all of this is the seller is a sporting goods store.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Preach brother! :)

The worst part about all of this is the seller is a sporting goods store.

Secondary bad part is... if this is a TI, then $85 is a straight up steal. If it is a Hollow Steel, $85 is a straight up rip off.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 7:07 AM, MadMax said:

@bluetick48 and @tpatience – you both got sad-face reactions on your posts representing the stinkface of loathing jealousy.

Trevor – are the black-tabbed grey pads a one-off? Know the story to them?

Tick – words cannot describe how upset I am with you. Instead of consulting the gear conclave here, and alerting us to this recent sighting of a unicorn disguised as a plowhorse, you recalled all the stuff we’ve discussed, recognized it, and took a chance that paid off brilliantly. Now there are only two questions: A) is it a true titanium model or a Titanal model (both steals at the price you paid), and B) are you going to use it, or re-rig it with Nike pads to re-sell it to an oaf for $350+?

Well Done, both of you.

@MadMax, I didn’t have a direct line to you to seek council and advice, so i had to pull the trigger quickly. I did notify @tpatience of the find and luckily for me it turned out to be the real unicorn you speak of. (Mask on the right) I’ll be hanging on to these till I call it a career or I fall on hard times. 

BC911A76-8ECA-47A3-AE79-F4D26707B425.jpeg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

Ah, the Champro CP2x. The "One that Snuck Through... For Awhile".

Notice how it looks. Looks a lot like a Wilson Gold, doesn't it? While Douglas wasn't allowed to progress their design, and Riddell and All-American were served with Cease & Desist orders (because of Patent Infringement), Champro wasn't viewed as an immediate threat, and was tolerated for the short time it was in circulation (Riddell, All-American, and Douglas are direct rivals to Wilson in football pads). It's a very good unit, using more modern foam and technical wicking fabric for its padding jacket, but lacks the ailettes (gap protection plates). Like the Champion P2xx, it is narrower / slimmer than a Gold, Platinum, and the Schutt XV. One of the things that Champro took from this design and progressed into their new CP3x series is the ability to conform around the torso cylindrically.