Major League Replica Shirts: Now in Long Sleeve and Other Updates

JimKirk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2604 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

SMITTY
LONG SLEEVE BLACK/GREY version of the Major League Replica Shirt is now available. We are pricing these shirts at $39.99 but have an introductory offer if anyone is interested.
https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Clothing-Apparel/Shirts/S313-BK_Smitty-MLB-Replica-Long-Sleeve-Umpire-Shirt-Black-with-Charcoal-Grey

SHORT SLEEVE BLACK/GREY ended up being our most popular shirt style this fall. So, if you got one, you're in the in-crowd. :) 

SHORT SLEEVE SKY BLUE is still expected in January (no definitive date).

I do not anticipate the SKY BLUE LONG SLEEVE will be offered at this time but could easily be in the future.

Note that all Smitty replica shirts are made in the USA which is why they were able to have them available before Majestic.

MAJESTIC
Short sleeves in BLACK/GREY are finally in transit after a mixup and should be available some time this week.

Short sleeves in SKY BLUE are coming at an undetermined later date.

Is not making any LONG SLEEVES available for 2017 to our current knowledge.

Questions?
Happy to answer them.

Untitled-34.jpg

1 hour ago, JimKirk said:

Good question. Monday, December 12th.

Awesome. Would the majestic look just like the Smitty because they're both 'replicas'? Would the Majestic carry a higher price point? If you're allowed to answer that haha. 

5 hours ago, JimKirk said:

SMITTY
LONG SLEEVE BLACK/GREY version of the Major League Replica Shirt is now available.

SHORT SLEEVE BLACK/GREY ended up being our most popular shirt style this fall. So, if you got one, you're in the in-crowd. :) 

I do not anticipate the SKY BLUE LONG SLEEVE will be offered at this time but could easily be in the future.

Note that all Smitty replica shirts are made in the USA which is why they were able to have them available before Majestic.

MAJESTIC
Short sleeves in BLACK/GREY are finally in transit after a mixup and should be available some time this week.

• Done. Sold (1) at least. Will be pointing this out to colleagues. #NoJacketsForPUs
  • Sorry, won't be buying one, since the Majestic is, as you say, is to arrive any day now.
  • Sorry, won't be buying one, since a Majestic version is anticipated at some "later date".
  • If Smitty wants to free up resources to produce a Sky Blue long sleeve, they could consider ending the Classic Navy and Classic Powder (those last two words actually hurt to type together) long sleeve shirts. No one should need to buy those any more. :fuel:
  • That's commendable. An actual American textile company. Such a rarity. They must have EPA and Dept. of Labor agents swarming over their facilities daily.
  • Done. Sold (as soon as they hit your site).
  • Will do. Again, as soon as they hit your site. Please keep us updated.
  • They didn't make the '10 available to the public as a long-sleeve, leaving Honig's (first) and then Smitty to produce long-sleeved variants. Dale Scott was the only MLB umpire (that I recall) who ever wore a '10 Sky Blue long sleeve.
3 hours ago, Stk004 said:

Awesome. Would the majestic look just like the Smitty because they're both 'replicas'? Would the Majestic carry a higher price point? If you're allowed to answer that haha. 

The Majestic will be using their latest, smooth CoolBase fabric, whereas the Smitty will be using their "attempt" at it. The Smitty will, size-for-size, be a bit more generous of cut (a Large Smitty will be slightly more roomy and longer than a Large Majestic). The Majestic will have their logo on the sleeve or flank, whereas the Smitty places their logo on the center of the yoke.

2 hours ago, lawump said:

@JimKirk,

Do you guys sew numbers on the sleeves if we ordered numbers go with the shirts?

Thanks!

Pardon my jumping in front of Jim on his (forthcoming) answer, but U-A does not sew numbers on. Nor do they do hems / custom alterations on pants. These services may seem like another aspect of comprehensive customer service (which U-A is known for), but it poses a significant logistical challenge to the outfitter / retailer. If there is a screw up in which number ("Guys, I wanted 23, not 22... my finger must have bounced when I ordered"), or a number goes out of stock (even short term), or there is anything wrong with the shirt otherwise that the outfitter didn't notice ("Hey, this collar is fraying, it's defective"); these things not only complicate returns and honoring of warranties, but in getting the product to you as quickly as possible. I think U-A prides itself on getting you the best items it can in as expeditious a manner as possible so you can start using them promptly.

I mean, I'd hate to see a guy order a Sky Blue shirt with number #8 on it, in black, only to find out that A) his association actually assigns him #52, since one of the "senior" guys has been squattin' on 8 for years, and B) that he's been misinformed, and Sky Blue shirts should have White-Sky-Black numbers on them. And, as a bonus, C) he wasn't ready for a XL to be so baggy and roomy, and wants a Large instead. So, guy wants to return & exchange the shirt. What's U-A to do?

• Like 1

I'm bummed about UA taking over. I live about 20 minutes from a Majestic factory and a lot of folks here could lose jobs.  This area was Majestic's HQ before they were bought. Before VF bought Majestic they used to have a GREAT outlet sale once or twice a year where you could jerseys, shirts and jackets at great deals.

*** sigh *** The only constant is change.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stk004 said:

Im waiting to see the Majestic versions before I say anything certain. Smitty did use what the MLB guys are wearing as a model so I would want to say "yes, they are very similar". However, it's my understamding that what the MLB guys wear and what's coming were made in two different locations. I still want to answer "yes" but would rather wait and see.

Yes, I'm allowed to answer that. :) We are planning on selling the Smitty lower because it costs less than the Majestic. We've not made a final decision, but they'll be within $5 of each other for sure.

Hope that helps.

49 minutes ago, MadMax said:
  • Done. Sold (1) at least. Will be pointing this out to colleagues. #NoJacketsForPUs
  • Sorry, won't be buying one, since the Majestic is, as you say, is to arrive any day now.
  • Sorry, won't be buying one, since a Majestic version is anticipated at some "later date".
  • If Smitty wants to free up resources to produce a Sky Blue long sleeve, they could consider ending the Classic Navy and Classic Powder (those last two words actually hurt to type together) long sleeve shirts. No one should need to buy those any more. :fuel:
  • That's commendable. An actual American textile company. Such a rarity. They must have EPA and Dept. of Labor agents swarming over their facilities daily.
  • They didn't make the '10 available to the public as a long-sleeve, leaving Honig's (first) and then Smitty to produce long-sleeved variants. Dale Scott was the only MLB umpire (that I recall) who ever wore a '10 Sky Blue long sleeve.

The Majestic will be using their latest, smooth CoolBase fabric, whereas the Smitty will be using their "attempt" at it. The Smitty will, size-for-size, be a bit more generous of cut (a Large Smitty will be slightly more roomy and longer than a Large Majestic). The Majestic will have their logo on the sleeve or flank, whereas the Smitty places their logo on the center of the yoke.

Pardon my jumping in front of Jim on his (forthcoming) answer, but U-A does not sew numbers on. Nor do they do hems / custom alterations on pants. These services may seem like another aspect of comprehensive customer service (which U-A is known for), but it poses a significant logistical challenge to the outfitter / retailer. If there is a screw up in which number ("Guys, I wanted 23, not 22... my finger must have bounced when I ordered"), or a number goes out of stock (even short term), or there is anything wrong with the shirt otherwise that the outfitter didn't notice ("Hey, this collar is fraying, it's defective"); these things not only complicate returns and honoring of warranties, but in getting the product to you as quickly as possible. I think U-A prides itself on getting you the best items it can in as expeditious a manner as possible so you can start using them promptly.

I mean, I'd hate to see a guy order a Sky Blue shirt with number #8 on it, in black, only to find out that A) his association actually assigns him #52, since one of the "senior" guys has been squattin' on 8 for years, and B) that he's been misinformed, and Sky Blue shirts should have White-Sky-Black numbers on them. And, as a bonus, C) he wasn't ready for a XL to be so baggy and roomy, and wants a Large instead. So, guy wants to return & exchange the shirt. What's U-A to do?

Wow! That's even a better explanation than mine.

I was toying around with the idea in the future but you came up with some scenarios that I hadn't even thought of. ;) Thanks @MadMax

All kidding aside, we sell LOTS of numbers. We've found most of our customers, who do not have a local outfitter, prefer ordering them separate for the reasons you mentioned.

Get the shirt.

Try it on.

Make sure you like it.

Make sure the number is correct.

THEN put the number(s) on.

It happens sometimes that the wrong number is ordered. It's very simple for us to put the right ones in an envelope with a stamp on it and having the customer do likewise - instead of dealing with a bigger shirt/coat return issue for both parties if we had put it on.

18 hours ago, acpar72 said:

@JimKirk when will we see the jackets?  Its been two seasons now and nothing yet for us.  I happen to have gotten my hands on the light jacket (with short white stripes on the wrist and full zip) and it is really nice. 

You may know more than I. We elected not to take Majestic up on their offer to book a quantity of jackets ahead of time not worn or approved on-field at the MLB level...and that we could not see beyond an illustration.

May check now to see what the score is now that you asked.

7 minutes ago, acpar72 said:

I think a lot of us would certainly like the cold weather jacket that they wear now. 

I would. It would be nice to have something between the full on Majestic Thermabase jacket and the Smitty/Majestic convertible jacket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acpar72 said:

I think a lot of us would certainly like the cold weather jacket that they wear now. 

If the one you are thinking is the one I'm thinking - MLB umpires call this their rain jacket (but they wear it at other times), that's a sharp jacket. However, it's not the one Majestic was considering to release. Would have been all over that one.

• Like 1

SMITTY

LONG SLEEVE BLACK/GREY version of the Major League Replica Shirt is now available.

SHORT SLEEVE BLACK/GREY ended up being our most popular shirt style this fall. So, if you got one, you're in the in-crowd.  

MAJESTIC

@JimKirk,

Do you guys sew numbers on the sleeves if we ordered numbers go with the shirts?

Thanks!

@MadMax, just let me know what I need will you?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Apparently the Smitty logo on the upper back of the new mlb replicas isn't exclusive to baseball. Smitty will be getting some great advertising this next month with all the college basketball officials sporting the Smitty shirt, logo clearly on display any time they go to the monitor for reviews. Not sure if Smitty is supplying all shirts for the tournament but they all had them on lat night.