Mid-American Umpire Clinic (2 man from 9/5 - 9/8) --- anyone going?

1 minute ago, johnnyg08 said:

I'm not going, but I have gone before. You should go! It's a great camp! 

Thanks. I am pretty confident I'm going.  Did you get your own room while there or share with a fellow camper?  It's an 11 hour drive from here, so may fly and just get my own room.

1 minute ago, wolfe_man said:

Thanks. I am pretty confident I'm going.  Did you get your own room while there or share with a fellow camper?  It's an 11 hour drive from here, so may fly and just get my own room.

I had a roommate when I went last time. If I go again, I would get my own room because I'm older and crabbier now. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

I had a roommate when I went last time. If I go again, I would get my own room because I'm older and crabbier now. 🙂

That's what I'll have to decide... do I want a partner? Hmmm

27 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

I didn't share a room when I went. It was worth the extra money to me. YMMV.

I'm leaning on solo myself.  Then can sleep when I want without interruptions.

• Like 1

Obligatory...(he said he sleeps when HE wants "without interruptions"...)

Championship Sunday...

Random Umpire#1: I thought @wolfe_man was on this game today to close camp?

Random Umpire#2: Nah, he ain't worked a game the entire week of camp.

Random Umpire#1: Wow...so, he's workin' hard in his room on his mechanics and rule book study?

Random Umpire#2: Nah...he just told his family he was "going to umpire camp" so he could enjoy a quiet hotel room to himself with the A/C cranked and get caught up on his sleep this week...

Random Umpire#1: (thousand yard stare...) That's a pro move right there...

Radom Umpire#2: That's Wolfe...always with the pro moves...

~Dawg

• Haha 4

I can sleep at home...

If I pay $1600+ (total cost of trip for me to go) then you can rest assured that I'll not be sleeping in and missing the opportunity to get the feedback I so desire for me to grow as an umpire!

But I smile upon the jokes. :) Thanks for the laugh.

• Hotel $650 (avg $210/night plus tax)
  • Airfare $325
  • Camp cost $311 (with processing fee included)
  • Rental car $250
  • Other misc expenses $250
  • A weekend of great instruction, invaluable feedback and a possible opportunity to move into the CBUA ranks - Pricele$$

By my calculations, you could drive it for about $200 in gas[1] (granted 11 hours isn't "nothing", but I drove to Cincinnati from about 2 hours west of KC a couple of years ago - it's not SO bad) AND you get to write off $900 for your mileage on your taxes.

I used an AirBNB to save more money when I've been to that location. Based on last year's 3-man camp (mostly the same instructors), I wouldn't do that now that they have the hotel closer than some of the parking spaces you could get otherwise. If I was going this year, I'd stay at the camp hotel.

You really don't *need* a rental car, either if you're staying at the hotel. Getting to and from the airport to the hotel is the main thing. After that, there will be plenty of guys around that would be happy to give you a ride to any restaurants, etc.

Dang, I might have to come up some time during your camp just to meet you face-to-face.

[1] based on 25 mpg

On 4/23/2024 at 6:46 AM, wolfe_man said:

Hello fellow umpires, I'm seriously thinking about going to the Mid American Camp this year.  Is anyone else going?

I’m going 🙋‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, kylehutson said:

By my calculations, you could drive it for about $200 in gas[1] (granted 11 hours isn't "nothing", but I drove to Cincinnati from about 2 hours west of KC a couple of years ago - it's not SO bad) AND you get to write off $900 for your mileage on your taxes.

I used an AirBNB to save more money when I've been to that location. Based on last year's 3-man camp (mostly the same instructors), I wouldn't do that now that they have the hotel closer than some of the parking spaces you could get otherwise. If I was going this year, I'd stay at the camp hotel.

You really don't *need* a rental car, either if you're staying at the hotel. Getting to and from the airport to the hotel is the main thing. After that, there will be plenty of guys around that would be happy to give you a ride to any restaurants, etc.

Dang, I might have to come up some time during your camp just to meet you face-to-face.

[1] based on 25 mpg

Thanks for this.

I have considered a drive, but that's either leave very early on Thurs morning to get there in time for Camp in the afternoon and arrive mind-dead from the drive... or leave on Wednesday, but then that adds another hotel cost and another day off work.   Plus, it's Interstate 70 almost the whole way from here.  And with all the truckers on that route, 11 hours is a long drive when you can't just put the cruise on and drive anymore.  It's two lane most of the way out there and the trucks keep slowing you down as they take miles to pass another truck it seems.  So I've chosen to fly - but I do appreciate you looking into it for me and adding your experience.

I have considered just getting an Uber to the Holiday Inn Creekside since it's right at the fields (literally)... but they said there are two sites on the Camp's webpage, so I didn't want to be put in a situation where I needed a car to get to the second location for games and then be dependent on an Uber or bumming off a peer and inconveniencing them when I would have all my gear to take with me. 

I honestly don't mind spending the $1500 on the trip.  From all I've heard over the years, it's well worth it and I'm eagerly looking forward to attending!  If I was worried about costs that much, I could always try to talk a local buddy into coming along and sharing costs for hotel & rental car.  When I got started umpiring, I did need the extra money.  Now, it's more for hobbies, eating out, vacations, etc. so it doesn't hurt me to use the income from my HS season to cover this trip.  I thought about it last year, but am ready now to receive more instruction and start looking for the feedback & opportunities to get better and possibly move up to some college baseball.

I'd love to meet you face-to-face if you have the time and can make it.  It's always good putting names and faces together!

Thanks again.

• Like 2

• wolfe_man changed the title to Mid-American Umpire Clinic (2 man from 9/5 - 9/8) --- anyone going?