Jacket Recommendation

johnnyg08

15 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

I'm good on jackets, but I get questions from umpires about what jacket to get. Is this the one umpires are wearing now? If not, what are umpires wearing?

For my FED games, I have these (I call the second one my MadMax Special):

image.png.77a39d4acbc2588c82a24b992f43d593.png

image.png.ed4fa3ad4cec4efd842eb74189ea01a1.png

• Thanks 1

OP, be sure to check with your local association...light blue and white stripes is generally but no always considered a softball jacket while red and white stripes is generally considered a baseball jacket. I also have a plain all black, super thin pullover rain jacket that I only wear during summer and fall ball.

~Dawg

As for the OP question . . . I'm guessing you are referring more to style, but I would advise guys to think about what jacket they need weather-wise.

I've never gone for a thermal (heavier weight) despite being in Central Illinois.  I figure I can add layers of just about anything underneath.  Some guys want the heavier "coat" rather than a jacket.

I've usually gone with the standard half-zips shown above.  This past year, I acquired the "MLB-style" all-black pullover with the zip off sleeves.  Even found and picked up navy ones (sorry Max) for softball.  I really like this extremely versatile light-weight pullover, but I wish they were a little more durable.  I had a seem tear after two or three uses.

On 2/11/2024 at 4:49 PM, johnnyg08 said:

Is this the one umpires are wearing now?

Screen Shot 2024-02-11 at 6.49.21 PM.png

This is the one most umpires are being directed to own/wear. MiLB has gone to this as "the" jacket, and several college associations have followed suit. 

... of course, because some associations have adopted it, more than a few other associations have adopted a slightly different one (anyone out in the West USA knows of this, yes?). Sorry, I don't have a photo example of it handy. 

13 hours ago, JSam21 said:

The standard is still the jacket with the white shoulder stripes. 

Of course it is. But of course, someone always wants to be different. Yet, "they" don't want us to be different... except when they do. :crazy: 

On 2/12/2024 at 8:18 AM, 834k3r said:

For my FED games, I have these (I call the second one my MadMax Special): 

image.png.ed4fa3ad4cec4efd842eb74189ea01a1.png

Why? Because it's navy? I would will never willingly buy a navy jacket, with/without those stupid stripes, beyond the one navy jacket I have, which is a Majestic Convertible in navy. That's it. Wisconsin recently saw that stubborn ol' putz retire and black being reintroduced as the primary color, if not a useable option. Arizona has used black for at least the past 8 years I've been here. Beyond that, I don't see myself calling amateur baseball in environments needing a navy jacket... 

... or using navy at all. :fuel: 

MLB has used black jackets with sky blue shoulders / stripes in recent years. It's not a bad look at all, just different. Majestic did roll out a black w/ sky blue & white striped ThermaBase jacket for 1(? - 2?) year(s), and then I'm sure Smitty made a replica. The stigma of it being a "softball" jacket is not quite appropriate... the navy and sky blue & white striped jacket is softball, intended to match/complement the sky (powder) blue & navy striped softball umpire shirt. Of course, there were jokers working both baseball and softball who would wear their powder/baby blue & navy & white umpire shirts for baseball, and wear their black & sky blue & white striped jackets for both baseball & softball, as a cost-saving measure. 

12 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

Even found and picked up navy ones (sorry Max) for softball.

Hey! You don't have to apologize to me... If you work softball, and TPTB direct you to wear navy, then get navy-based stuff. You can call me a hypocrite all you want over this topic – "Well, Max, TPTRTNFHS direct "it shall be navy", so why are you griping about it?" – and I don't care. 

With some nifty gifts from colleagues and some fortuitous finds, I've got the following for when the temperature drops:

• Majestic convertible (zip-off sleeves), x2
  • Smitty convertible (zip-off sleeves), x3 (league patched)
  • Majestic "Squall" jacket (w/ white wrist stripe), x1
  • Majestic ThermaBase jacket w/ charcoal shoulders, x1
  • Majestic Coach's Insulated jacket (w/ charcoal flanks and pockets!!!)
  • WakeWear Plate Coat

The way I look at it, if I'm on a cold 2-man game, it doesn't really matter if I match the PU. And, if I'm on a cold 3- or 4- man game, it's only going to be a college-level or higher game wherein the conference or league I'm working is providing the uniform (or directing us to purchase it, ie. out west here).