Throw from OF to 1B goes out of play

rhinolith

Question

OBR

Batter hits hard line drive to RF and F9 played it quickly on one hop and threw to 1B in attempt to get batter-runner. Ball sails over F3 and out of play. A good throw would have easily retired the batter-runner.

Is batter-runner awarded 2B? To me, that’s obvious, but my partner said that’s only for throws from an infielder. He was adamant about it so I let it go and coaches didn’t say anything.

Thank you.

8 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, rhinolith said:

OBR

Batter hits hard line drive to RF and F9 played it quickly on one hop and threw to 1B in attempt to get batter-runner. Ball sails over F3 and out of play. A good throw would have easily retired the batter-runner.

Is batter-runner awarded 2B? To me, that’s obvious, but my partner said that’s only for throws from an infielder. He was adamant about it so I let it go and coaches didn’t say anything.

Thank you.

Only response to this is:  🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 1

The award for a ball (other than a pitch or pick from the rubber) thrown out of play is always 2 bases. The only difference between an infielder an outfielder throwing it is whether it's TOP or TOT.

The standard is TOT. The exceptional case is first play by an infielder, which is TOP.

The two overlap when the throw occurs prior to the BR touching 1B, so... in the OP, 2 bases, the BR should have been awarded 2B. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, rhinolith said:

OBR

Thank you.

It would only matter if B/R was past first base before the ball left the hand of the fielder.

Outfielder - third base

Infielder - second base

In no scenario is it first base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

It would only matter if B/R was past first base before the ball left the hand of the fielder.

Outfielder - third base

Infielder - second base

In no scenario is it first base.

If the batter was the only runner and was past 1B when the infielder threw it would be TOT.  Why "eat it" is sometimes the best advice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1