Base shoe recommendations

Sw-ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 760 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Looking for a new base shoe for this season, been recommended the nb ones but they seem to be out of stock just about everywhere. I've never used a "umpire" shoe, my last ones were old basketball shoes. I have a pretty narrow foot so like nike running shoes and stuff like that fit great.

2 hours ago, Sw-ump said:

I've never used a "umpire" shoe, my last ones were old basketball shoes.

Funny you say that… with Nike assuming the MLB contract from Majestic (or, more appropriately, from Under-Armour, who backed out of it), they influenced New Balance to withdraw from their own MLB contract, one they shared with Reebok at one point. 

As such, Major League Umpires are now at liberty to wear Nike base shoes, if they wish. And, some are wearing… Jordans!

Since I operate primarily in the American southwest, I myself prefer more airy, fabric-based footwear instead of the stereotypical, leathery “base shoes”. I’ve been favoring Nike Huarache Turfs instead of more outlandish Jordans. My absolute favorite is the Nike Air Zoom Vomero.

• Like 2

I tried the NB VAADU v1's at Max's recommendation and really like them.    I also agree that almost any shoes will work as long as they're athletic and give you traction.  They do not have to be umpire shoes.

I like the following shoes for base shoes:

1. Nike Air Diamond Trainer 11's in B/W
  2. New Balance VAADU v1's in B/W
  3. Reebok Zigs in patent leather all-black (basketball ref shoes)
  4. Pentagon K64 in patent leather (trying these now as they have more tread than my Reebok's on wet fields)
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sw-ump said:

I'm kinda between the huarache and zoom pegasus 37's, theyre on sale at dicks rn and are pretty similar to the zoom vomeros. Max do you like the vomeros over the huaraches?

Yes, he does and I qoute: "My absolute favorite is the Nike Air Zoom Vomero."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sw-ump said:

Max do you like the vomeros over the huaraches?

Awwwww, @wolfe_man knows me so well! ☺️

The Vomeros and Pegasus are virtually the same, while I'm under the impression that the Air Zoom Vomeros have a larger / longer air bladder inside; I certainly can feel it. The Pegasus line has been one of Nike's longest-running model lines, and I think is tailored to continued distance running, while the Vomeros are more... multi-role (?). 

The Huaraches are good, but they often run and fit rather snug. It's like a/your kid trying to hug ya for several hours on end – "I love ya, but geez, kiddo, let up on the hugging for awhile and let me breathe, will ya?" Great for one 7-9 inning game on the bases, but when you've got an entire day of baseball games, where you might be on 3-4 games on the bases, I think you'd want something cushier and allow your feet to at least coast. 

7 hours ago, MadMax said:

Awwwww, @wolfe_man knows me so well! ☺️

Just basic reading comprehension :BD:... I mean you did say it above. 

But we do learn a lot about others likes/dislikes on this page after several years of talking/discussing/texting.  Quick - ask me what your stance is on Wilson sofa cushion foam usage in CP's? 😁

:home: I quoted from right here:

On 3/9/2022 at 1:58 AM, MadMax said:

... My absolute favorite is the Nike Air Zoom Vomero.

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Just basic reading comprehension :BD:... I mean you did say it above. 

But we do learn a lot about others likes/dislikes on this page after several years of talking/discussing/texting.  Quick - ask me what your stance is on Wilson sofa cushion foam usage in CP's? 😁

:home: I quoted from right here:

Yeah, @MadMax is SOOO difficult to figure out, isn't he?! :D :rollinglaugh:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, concertman1971 said:

Anyone have thoughts on wearing the Nike Roshe G golf shoe on the bases? Great traction, and very comfortable. Nike Roshe G Men's Golf Shoes

That's funny you bring the golf shoe thing up here.  I've been considering that (spikless/turf style) golf shoe makes sense.  This Nike (FOR ME) has too much mesh, and on Michigan fields, they'd be a mess.  This shoe (or some version is worn by Jim Wolf) Nice and clean.....

image.png

21 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

That's funny you bring the golf shoe thing up here.  I've been considering that (spikless/turf style) golf shoe makes sense.  This Nike (FOR ME) has too much mesh, and on Michigan fields, they'd be a mess.  This shoe (or some version is worn by Jim Wolf) Nice and clean.....

image.png

Agree that these would be great for us 'up north' schools.   The mesh just gets all messed up with dirt/clay/dust too fast.  I try to stay as much leather as possible on mine. Easier to clean - and keep cleaned!

• Like 1

The thing to remember about golf shoes is that they are constructed for linear forward movement.  That said, they have walking, with traction, in mind much more than the rigors of running, which takes a much higher impact on the arches and achilles at foot strike and the roll through, which pressures the achilles more.  They also are not great for lateral movements.  In 2 and 3-person umpiring, we're doing a lot of changing directions, pivoting, etc.  With that, I look for the modern turf shoes, which have become ever more popular the past 5 years or so.  They are built more like cleats, but try and stay lightweight and cushioned.  New Balance shows this by offering mid heights on their last 2 versions to support stability and lateral movements. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, humanbackstop19 said:

The thing to remember about golf shoes is that they are constructed for linear forward movement.  That said, they have walking, with traction, in mind much more than the rigors of running, which takes a much higher impact on the arches and achilles at foot strike and the roll through, which pressures the achilles more.  They also are not great for lateral movements.  In 2 and 3-person umpiring, we're doing a lot of changing directions, pivoting, etc.  With that, I look for the modern turf shoes, which have become ever more popular the past 5 years or so.  They are built more like cleats, but try and stay lightweight and cushioned.  New Balance shows this by offering mid heights on their last 2 versions to support stability and lateral movements. 

that was actually one of my concerns w/ a golf shoe

On 3/16/2022 at 10:23 AM, Thunderheads said:

image.png

Providence!

My conference opener is (was? I'll get to that...) scheduled for a notoriously muddy field that more resembles the Fire Swamp. As such, I ordered a pair of backup shoes from Amazon last week that were "true-to-size." BullSH*#.

Concurrently, I changed our internet/cable plan and thus, had equipment to return. With these two events, I had planned to return that and the shoes at the same time while rushing yesterday evening, as both places are in the same mall and I would be leaving this morning for the Saturday-Sunday series. 

Come yesterday morning, we had a switch of our crew chief. Shortly thereafter, the other member of our crew sends us an email: "Uh, the school's website now shows Sunday/Monday." WTF... The university had not informed the conference of the switch. After much, umm, conversation, we got the official word. 

With that, I no longer had to rush around last night and could use my leisurely Saturday to run those errands. Nestled between the cable store and the UPS store is a Skechers outlet, so on a whim, I stopped in to see if I could find these shoes for tomorrow. After walking the aisles,I wandered to the clearance section.

There was one pair. Of the pro. In black and white. In my size. Marked down to $112 from $160.

Less swearing today. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Matt said:

My conference opener is (was? I'll get to that...) scheduled for a notoriously muddy field that more resembles the Fire Swamp.

Which summoned that similarity? 

• The fire spurts?
  • The lightning sand (which you cleverly discovered so we now know what to avoid)?
  • or, the Rodents of Unusual Size???

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matt said:

There was one pair. Of the pro. In black and white. In my size. Marked down to $112 from $160.

Less swearing today. 

Is there anything better than finding exactly what you want on clearance?  Maybe an onion ring at the bottom of your basket of fries?

I also love The Princess Bride.  A unrated multigenerational classic 

These prices for these shoes are just nuts, especially the ones that are just mesh. I got a VERY comfortable pair of black mesh Skechers from Costco for around $30 iirc, but I do wish they had a similar leather shoe for the cold and/or muddy games.

I wear and have worn a version of Nike air max runner for probably last 10 years. Love them.  I search eBay constantly looking for more   Newer styles only seem to have the heel bladder, some don’t look as appropriate as I’d like  

Most recent pickup however are these, good shape, cleaned up nicely

Jordan 11’s Barons 

8C0EBF6E-09AE-4E3F-97F3-91B0155E28AB.thumb.jpeg.7f37b9d8f7111090745f30c0f98b7456.jpeg

On 3/19/2022 at 1:22 PM, Matt said:

Providence!

My conference opener is (was? I'll get to that...) scheduled for a notoriously muddy field that more resembles the Fire Swamp. As such, I ordered a pair of backup shoes from Amazon last week that were "true-to-size." BullSH*#.

Concurrently, I changed our internet/cable plan and thus, had equipment to return. With these two events, I had planned to return that and the shoes at the same time while rushing yesterday evening, as both places are in the same mall and I would be leaving this morning for the Saturday-Sunday series. 

Come yesterday morning, we had a switch of our crew chief. Shortly thereafter, the other member of our crew sends us an email: "Uh, the school's website now shows Sunday/Monday." WTF... The university had not informed the conference of the switch. After much, umm, conversation, we got the official word. 

With that, I no longer had to rush around last night and could use my leisurely Saturday to run those errands. Nestled between the cable store and the UPS store is a Skechers outlet, so on a whim, I stopped in to see if I could find these shoes for tomorrow. After walking the aisles,I wandered to the clearance section.

Less swearing today. 

The Pro isn't made in just black and white any longer, and has 'red' on the  body and sole unfortunately. Well, how do you like them?

47 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

The Pro isn't made in just black and white any longer, and has 'red' on the  body and sole unfortunately. Well, how do you like them?

Funny you mention that...when I was checking out, they mentioned they might have the version with the red and I think my reaction could not have been more instantaneous.

I didn't get to use them, because the rescheduling shenanigans continued. Shortly after initially leaving my house, I got word we were pushed back 90 minutes. Went back home for an hour, left and drove 2.5 hours, then got the call we were off as I was entering town. 

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

Funny you mention that...when I was checking out, they mentioned they might have the version with the red and I think my reaction could not have been more instantaneous.

I didn't get to use them, because the rescheduling shenanigans continued. Shortly after initially leaving my house, I got word we were pushed back 90 minutes. Went back home for an hour, left and drove 2.5 hours, then got the call we were off as I was entering town. 

damn .... wow .......

can you post a photo of the "pros"?