FPSR?

BRUMP
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 782 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

7 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!!!!  (NFHS) yes?  I still think it meets the NCAA definition also

Probably could've put this in the collegiate section. FED this is as easy as it gets. NCAA I'm interested in the opinions of the group. 

Yeah, you can move it. The NCAA portion is the only one really worth discussing.

what this guy said. HS this call is made, I’ve parked the Bat mobile, I’m in my Bat jammies, tucked in before the coach can say, “whoa, what do you mean…..how did he interfere?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

Admittedly the video isn’t great for angle, but it appears the contact is made on top of the bag as result of a pop up slide.  Slide was legal in regards to he was down before bag, leg wasn’t elevated, etc.

Again, couldn’t see great definitive angle if contact was made to side of bag, but if on bag or just beyond it in baseline extended, this is legal in college

• Like 1

NCAA Pop-ups are clean in college as long as there's no rolling action following through, which I don't see here.  I've got a legal slide carrying momentum through the baseline extended.  Mechanically, I want to be on the first base side making that call, if needed. 

23 minutes ago, humanbackstop19 said:

Mechanically, I want to be on the first base side making that call, if needed. 

Thank you for mentioning this as this was another portion I wanted to discuss. Where should we be as a PU to get this (keeping in mind this scenario being R1 and R3)

2 minutes ago, BRUMP said:

Thank you for mentioning this as this was another portion I wanted to discuss. Where should we be as a PU to get this (keeping in mind this scenario being R1 and R3)

Looking for the FPSR on this play in 2-person mechanics with R3/R1 - In reading the roll ball, I'm going to get to the edge of the home plate circle with my toes parallel on the foul line, now facing 2nd base (chest to ball).  FPSR is going to be top priority before the touch.  From this spot, I can stay on the slide, then, if clean assist for pulled foot/swipe tag and any potential overthrow by swiveling my head.  And.....get the touch of home plate with a very quick glance if possible (probably not).  It's give a little (the touch), to get a lot more potentially (FPSR, pulled foot, swipe tag, overthrow responsibilities.....). 

• Like 1

I'm inclined to agree that this is NCAA FPSR. It is close.

A pop-up has to be over the bag, so can't also have momentum carrying him through. 

For me there is too much horizontal, including that hip and less vertical than there should be.

If it wasn't FPSR I know the next time he is on the bases the ball will somehow find its way to his noggin; so I'm going with intent of the rule.

Excellent mechanics.

24 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

8-4 (b) does mention this ....unless there's more to it, for which of course, I could be wrong ;) 

image.png

It's like the HS "slides past the base AND THEN makes contact ..."  The timing / location of the contact matters

NCAA: pop-up, make contact on the base, and then momentum goes past the base -- legal.

• Like 2