Non-pitcher picks up ball next to the mound in between innings.

Question

High School Game:  In between innings, the third baseman picks up the ball laying on the grass near the mound and steps on the rubber.  He does not throw a warm pitch, he tosses it to the pitcher coming out to the mound.  The third baseman goes over to his position.  Has the third baseman replaced the pitcher?

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

This would fall under the “really?” category...I must have missed the rule that says if a kid picks up a dead ball as a courtesy to his pitcher, he becomes the pitcher.

Not for NFHS  

2006 NFHS Baseball Interpretations SITUATION 18: With a runner on first and the pitcher struggling in the top of the fifth inning, S1 comes to the mound and begins to throw his warm-up pitches. H

15 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, tstapenhorst said:

High School Game:  In between innings, the third baseman picks up the ball laying on the grass near the mound and steps on the rubber.  He does not throw a warm pitch, he tosses it to the pitcher coming out to the mound.  The third baseman goes over to his position.  Has the third baseman replaced the pitcher?

This would fall under the “really?” category...I must have missed the rule that says if a kid picks up a dead ball as a courtesy to his pitcher, he becomes the pitcher.

• Like 2

in LL this is actually a thing.  odd but it is

If he does not touch the rubber he is not but because he touched the rubber yep, new pitcher coming in and they must throw at least one live pitch. the only time and I mean only time it wont happen is if that player is out of innings.  I gotta go recheck what happens then but its a really odd quirk I hate it..

2 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

If he does not touch the rubber he is not but because he touched the rubber yep, new pitcher coming in and they must throw at least one live pitch. the only time and I mean only time it wont happen is if that player is out of innings.  I gotta go recheck what happens then but its a really odd quirk I hate it..

No ice cream!

1 hour ago, ShaunH said:

1 hour ago, ArchAngel72 said:

If I recall correctly it's some kind of attempt to stop gaming/angling

2 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

NO NO! In LL he must toe the rubber AND throw a warm-up pitch to be considered the new pitcher.  3.08( a)(1)

2006 NFHS Baseball Interpretations

SITUATION 18: With a runner on first and the pitcher struggling in the top of the fifth inning, S1 comes to the mound and begins to throw his warm-up pitches. His coach announces to the plate umpire the change, who marks it on his lineup card and announces to the home scorekeeper. After only four warm-up pitches, the defensive coach decides he wants a different player to pitch. The visiting coach argues that since the ball had not yet been made live, the substitution had not been made and he can change his mind. RULING: Once the umpire-in-chief has accepted the change, marked it on his lineup and announced the change, the substitution is in effect. The substitute pitcher must pitch until the batter then at bat, or any substitute for that batter, is put out or reaches first base, or until a third out has been made. Therefore, the coach cannot change his substitute pitcher until the pitching conditions have been met. The only exception to this requirement would be if the substitute pitcher became incapacitated or guilty of flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct. If there had been no announcement of the substitution, the unreported substitution would be considered to have been made when the pitcher took his place on the pitcher’s plate and the ball was made live. (3-1-1, 3-1-2)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

NO NO! In LL he must toe the rubber AND throw a warm-up pitch to be considered the new pitcher.  3.08( a)(1)

Well then I stand corrected they must have changed that I swear all he had to do was TOE the rubber with the ball.

maybe I'm thinking crossways on that cause I had a coach scrutinize it when it happened but I did not see it as I was retrieving a water from my cooler.  But yep a warm up pitch must be tossed

my bad

4 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Well then I stand corrected they must have changed that I swear all he had to do was TOE the rubber with the ball.

maybe I'm thinking crossways on that cause I had a coach scrutinize it when it happened but I did not see it as I was retrieving a water from my cooler.  But yep a warm up pitch must be tossed

my bad

I'm pretty sure he has to throw a warmup...but even if the requirement was just toeing the rubber, that is a far different scenario from simply incidentally touching the rubber as he picks up the ball.

Just now, beerguy55 said:

I'm pretty sure he has to throw a warmup...but even if the requirement was just toeing the rubber, that is a far different scenario from simply incidentally touching the rubber as he picks up the ball.

I had a player supposedly ( I did not see it)  pick up the ball, mimic throwing a pitch. Then he flipped it to the pitcher and jogged to RF.  This was what was explained to me by the coach and he said " I want that kid to pitch now cause he substituted in"  

I just said sorry coach I am alone here and I did not see it happen as I was getting a bottle of water as its 98% humidity and 92 degrees.

He walked away frustrated

but yeah I think I recalled it wrong. I should have looked it up

This was a high school game, and like Tborze said earlier "Not for NFHS."  I could not find it in the 2020 NFHS Rule Book.  I remember way back when I played high school, we were told by our coach if we touch the ball laying on the grass or the dirt of the mound, then that person has just replaced the current pitcher.  So we all learned to leave it alone unless we were the pitcher.  Thank you to all who provided input to my question.

I had a player supposedly ( I did not see it)  pick up the ball, mimic throwing a pitch. Then he flipped it to the pitcher and jogged to RF.  This was what was explained to me by the coach and he said " I want that kid to pitch now cause he substituted in"  
I just said sorry coach I am alone here and I did not see it happen as I was getting a bottle of water as its 98% humidity and 92 degrees.
He walked away frustrated
but yeah I think I recalled it wrong. I should have looked it up

There’s spirit of the rule, and then there’s letter of the rule. You can decide which applies when a kid putzes to the mound, has fun playing ball, then trots off to his position. It’s not necessary to give a coach a “gotcha” in this instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
19 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

my bad

Always been that way.

It’s been that way since 1976--

1975 LL rule 3.08(a)  If no announcement of a substitution is made, the substitute shall be considered as having entered the game when—

(1) If a pitcher, he takes his place on the pitcher’s plate;

1976 LL rule 3.08(a)  If no announcement of a substitution is made, the substitute shall be considered as having entered the game when—

(1) If a pitcher, the substitute takes position on the pitcher’s plate and throws one warmup pitch to the catcher.

From the 2019 Little League Make The Right Call:  As the defense takes the field in the top of the fifth inning; the shortstop (#18), picks up the ball, steps on the pitcher’s plate and delivers a pitch to the catcher (The term catcher refers to either the actual catcher for the game, any “warm-up” catcher or anyone acting as a catcher.). The pitcher of record is still in the dugout talking with his manager.

Ruling:  Number 18 is now the pitcher assuming he is eligible to pitch and must pitch to at least one batter. Either way, the original pitcher of record may not return to pitch. At the Intermediate 50-70, Junior, and Senior League Divisions, if the player replaced as pitcher remains in the game defensively they may return to pitch once per game, but only after the current pitcher meets the requirement of Rule 3.05(b).

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.