ball hits batters hands while swinging

mac266
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1294 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I actually had this situation this weekend. Runner on first, 1-2 count. Swinging strike 3 curve ball that bounces off the batters front foot. R1 takes off. 

I immediately call “TIME!” I then came out in front of the plate and said, “The ball hit his foot! That’s strike 3, He’s Out!” I then placed the runner back on first, and then went back to my position behind the plate and got things going before a coach could even think about arguing. I think I sold it pretty good cause not even a fan complained. 

On 7/22/2020 at 11:27 AM, Vegas_Ump said:

First and foremost, this is a hit batsman.  "Time!" is the right call to make.  

And this, and for other valid reasons, is why we, as umpires, should correct any and all colleagues who (mis)use any other variations of “Time!” – “Dead ball!”, “My Time!”, “Hit by pitch!”, “That hit ‘im!”... none of those utterances kill a baseball. Only two words kill a baseball – “Time” and “Foul”.

When you only use those two (killing) words, you give your brain time to process the action that your eyes just viewed (and what your ears heard).

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 8:10 AM, noumpere said:

It's not a foul -- so if this had happened with two strikes, the batter would be out on strike three.

That is my only question on this. On strike three, can the batter advance to first as if it is a dropped third strike?

On 8/16/2020 at 7:32 PM, The Short Umpire said:

I actually had this situation this weekend. Runner on first, 1-2 count. Swinging strike 3 curve ball that bounces off the batters front foot. R1 takes off. 

I immediately call “TIME!” I then came out in front of the plate and said, “The ball hit his foot! That’s strike 3, He’s Out!” I then placed the runner back on first, and then went back to my position behind the plate and got things going before a coach could even think about arguing. I think I sold it pretty good cause not even a fan complained. 

^This...all day long.

Come up big. Come up confident. Get the runners moving. Put the ball in play. And don't rush it.

~Dog

2 hours ago, Mr Ump said:

That is my only question on this. On strike three, can the batter advance to first as if it is a dropped third strike?

Well, in the OP, the ball hit wither the bat or the hand, so the ball is dead either way -- no D3K (but runners, including the batter, may be awarded bases or declared out based on other rules that apply.)

On 7/20/2020 at 7:43 AM, maven said:

Call "Time!" instead, as with most other dead balls. (BTW: slow down and give yourself time to process this action. See it all, process, make one—correct—call.)

All good stuff by everyone above! You know, I honestly learn or relearn something every time I visit this website. Once we say, "Time!" we got all day to figure out what we got.

Also, the process here is the same as in other seemingly complicated plays, but which really aren't so complicated when I remember that everything that happened up until the instant the ball became dead = "Probably matters."  Anything that happened after the instant the ball became dead = "Doesn't matter--fahgettaboudit!"

Question after I kill it:  "What do I got?"

Answer:  "I got a dead ball, so I got all fricking day to figure out what I got!"