jkumpire

Need Help, Harness for +POS Cobra CP

Hello folks,

It's been a while, hope everyone is doing well.

Two years ago or so I bought a a +POS Cobra CP. Nice, lightweight thing but Harness/straps was awful.

Tried to replace them with straps for a Force 3, and the clips did not attach to the CP slots. It was recommended that I get replacement straps for a System Seven CP.

With the end of my very short season I started putting my gear away and tried to put the System Sever straps on, and they didn't work either. The clips were too wide and too small to hit in the +POS socket, and the shoulder straps were so short I couldn't even get them close to over my head they were so short. It seemed like the System Seven straps were made for a kid's sized F2 protector than an umpire protector. I purchased the System Seven harness from a reputable umpire gear company, so I assume they got me the right stuff. 

Does anyone have an suggestions where I might some kind of harness for the CP that will work? Would out good friend umplife himself be the best way to go?

Thanks for your help, enjoy the season.

Yes. An it is the last harness you will ever use. Because Ray ( @Razzer) does the best quality work you will find!

You can either order it stock from Ray or Ump-Attire.com. or you can order it custom for a few bucks more (name, sleeve number, association insignia) directly from Ray at rbumpire37@gmail.com 

I would say "your mileage may vary." But with an Umplife harness, you won't. 

• Like 1

The System Seven harness is a quality product, it just isn't sized to fit some protectors. If your existing harness clips are on the side it might be long enough. But if the clips are on the front of your protector, it might not be. I bought one to use on my Platinum. It was so tight that it pressed into my diaphragm and made it feel like I couldnt breathe. If only the straps were a little bit longer...

1 minute ago, BretMan said:

The System Seven harness is a quality product, it just isn't sized to fit some protectors. If your existing harness clips are on the side it might be long enough. But if the clips are on the front of your protector, it might not be. I bought one to use on my Platinum. It was so tight that it pressed into my diaphragm and made it feel like I couldnt breathe. If only the straps were a little bit longer...

To Bret's point. I bought a System7 harness to be used with my Wilson Gold many years ago. But being on the bigger side, the straps kept coming undone. More often than not, in the middle of the game... or worse... in the middle of a pitch. It also had a tendency to rid up on me. So I would constantly be pulling it down. Or between innings hold it down. Almost like you see a football player do 

So I brought it to my local shoe cobbler and had them cut the bottom strap of my old Wilson harness, remove the bottom straps off my S7 DF, and attach the longer old Wilson straps to the neoprene. Mind you, this was all before I realized that Ray had introduced his harness. And that it was better in almost every way.

On 7/12/2020 at 8:22 PM, jkumpire said:

Two years ago or so I bought a a +POS Cobra CP. Nice, lightweight thing but Harness/straps was awful.

Tried to replace them with straps for a Force 3, and the clips did not attach to the CP slots. It was recommended that I get replacement straps for a System Seven CP.

A +POS Cobra, you say? :banghead:

Get the tape measure (or ruler) out, but I think we’re in for some heartache... it looks like Dan skimped on the harness, and those are only 1” webbing straps and side-release buckles instead of the usual 1-1/2” (1.5”). If they are 1.5”, then <whew> we dodged a bullet. But, I have a sinking hunch that they’re 1”, and that’s going to make fitting a third-party harness to it difficult, just short of practically impossible.

On 7/12/2020 at 8:22 PM, jkumpire said:

Does anyone have an suggestions where I might some kind of harness for the CP that will work?

Please convey how that +POS measures out, and we’ll see what we can do.

6 hours ago, MadMax said:

A +POS Cobra, you say? :banghead:

Get the tape measure (or ruler) out, but I think we’re in for some heartache... it looks like Dan skimped on the harness, and those are only 1” webbing straps and side-release buckles instead of the usual 1-1/2” (1.5”). If they are 1.5”, then <whew> we dodged a bullet. But, I have a sinking hunch that they’re 1”, and that’s going to make fitting a third-party harness to it difficult, just short of practically impossible.

Please convey how that +POS measures out, and we’ll see what we can do.

I can say for sure that they are 1" straps.

• Thanks 1

Hey @jkumpire, can you post up or send me a few photos of the Cobra’s harness points? I’d like to devise a solution for you...

Here are some photos of mine. I have Ray’s Harness attached now and it works very well. However before I had Ray’s I used a makeshift harness from parts of other CPs. The make shift  also worked very well. I used the 1” strap that it came with and the metal triangle pieces off some older CPs that I had laying around. 

0E245CED-23CC-479E-B9DB-A19EDE823EF1.jpeg

F193B08E-1A2E-4B40-B2AE-4DE84DEC562B.jpeg

• Like 1

Per the conversation on @RazzerFacebook Live post today. I would LOVE to see this chest protector in the hands of someone like Ray who could really market this thing and bring out it's true potential. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Per the conversation on @RazzerFacebook Live post today. I would LOVE to see this chest protector in the hands of someone like Ray who could really market this thing and bring out it's true potential. 

Isn't he working a CP of his own anyhow?

3 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Isn't he working a CP of his own anyhow?

I am working on a few things right now and hope to have some testing done in the next month or two

Exterior ABS protection with pad for impact displacement

Separate additional pad (washable)  for comfort and impact

Also working on a generic low profile pad replacement idea 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Razzer said:

I am working on a few things right now and hope to have some testing done in the next month or two

Exterior ABS protection with pad for impact displacement

Separate additional pad (washable)  for comfort and impact

Also working on a generic low profile pad replacement idea 

Excellent! I'm always looking forward to see what comes of your plans.

• Like 1