NFHS New DH Rule

Guest Jimmy
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1505 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Jimmy

Player A is listed as the P/DH hitting 8th. Player B is hitting 5th playing CF.  In the 4th inning Player B is replaced by Player C in CF hitting 5th in a straight swap.  In the 6th inning Player B reenters as the P for Player A who continues as the DH.  Is this a legal move?

14 answers to this question

No, this is not a legal reentry for Player B.

NFHS 3-1-3  Any of the starting players may be withdrawn and re-enter once, . . ., provided such player occupies the same batting position whenever he is in the lineup.

51 minutes ago, Guest Jimmy said:

Player A is listed as the P/DH hitting 8th. Player B is hitting 5th playing CF.  In the 4th inning Player B is replaced by Player C in CF hitting 5th in a straight swap.  In the 6th inning Player B reenters as the P for Player A who continues as the DH.  Is this a legal move?

No.

First, remember that FED's "P/DH" stands for "Player/DH," not "pitcher." I'm not sure whether you have B reentering as "Player" or "pitcher." I recommend using "F/DH," but it hasn't caught on.

Next, when C subs for B, he get's B's lineup spot. When B re-enters, he gets his lineup spot back, and C must leave the game.

We don't care where any of them plays on defense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guest Jimmy said:

Hold on guys...Player B has reentry rights. He can reenter in any defensive position. He can most certainly come in and pitch for player A. The catch is, he reenters in the 5th spot in the batting order. Player "C" is done for the day. Player A, (starting F/DH), is still batting 8th. He can move to CF*,  or be replaced in the field by another sub (player D), with his replacement moving to CF*, and Player A remains DH for player D now playing CF*. 

* or any other position. In the OP CF makes it easier to follow 

All of the above are correct.  Keep it simple stupid (KISS, from my Marine days).  A starting player can only return once to the SAME SPOT in the line up.

Also remember that if the player/DH is substituted on OFFENSE (base runner, batter, anything, including a courtesy runner in the event the P/DH is the pitcher or catcher) the DH is killed.

If the player/DH is substituted on DEFENSE you have essentially made a traditional "10 man" line up.  The P/DH can continue to hit and the "substitute" can continue to play defense.

Coaches do not understand this rule.

18 hours ago, Richvee said:

Hold on guys...Player B has reentry rights. He can reenter in any defensive position. He can most certainly come in and pitch for player A. The catch is, he reenters in the 5th spot in the batting order. Player "C" is done for the day. Player A, (starting F/DH), is still batting 8th. He can move to CF*,  or be replaced in the field by another sub (player D), with his replacement moving to CF*, and Player A remains DH for player D now playing CF*. 

Good catch ... I was thrown off when the OP said "re-enters as the P for Player A" (I interpreted that as moving him to another slot).  He did not "re-enter for the P".  He re-entered into his proper line-up spot, then went to pitch.  Legal.

1 hour ago, maven said:

This is alarming coming from a former marine.

The rules include no capital punishments for any infraction.

i don't know the marine's rank, but this might also be corporal punishment.

And, in pro ball, some of the punishment might be a fine -- a capital punishment.

I'll wait for your groans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Richvee said:

This is how to make the substitution legal.  As the OP was written, Player B cannot enter on defense for Player A.  

5 hours ago, noumpere said:

i don't know the marine's rank, but this might also be corporal punishment.

And, in pro ball, some of the punishment might be a fine -- a capital punishment.

On the upside, I'd guess that guy has zero problems with coaches or parents.

2 hours ago, rzanew said:

This is how to make the substitution legal.  As the OP was written, Player B cannot enter on defense for Player A.  

Yes. We’re on the same page. Didn’t want the OP poster think that simply player B couldn’t come in to pitch. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, maven said:

On the upside, I'd guess that guy has zero problems with coaches or parents.

Very true.  And it is a shame we can’t “silence” folks on the field. You see their real character there.