MLB Ejections 161-163 - May, Cuzzi (NYY)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1704 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HP Umpire Ben May ejected Yankees Manager Aaron Boone and 1B Umpire Phil Cuzzi ejected Yankees CF Brett Gardner and pitcher CC Sabathia (strike three call; QOCN) in the bottom of the 6th inning of the #Indians-#Yankees game. With one out and none on, Yankees batter Cameron Maybin took a 3-2...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it important for MLB to step up and take care of the juvenile antics, particularly the recent penchants of Gardner and Boone?  Because this behavior is seen by the kids that play the game.  By not leveling some sort of additional penalties, MLB is reinforcing the notion that this behavior is acceptable.  Kids will and do imitate it.

Jump to about 17:30 and watch the behavior of Oklahoma’s FIRST BATTER of the game.  His behavior continues throughout the whole game (and infects other players).  While it isn’t Gardner bat-jacking level of misbehavior, I can guarantee it isn’t the look Little League wants.  Stomping around, slamming helmets, then yelling out on the field ... wonder where he saw that?

Boone and Co are an embarrassment to the pinstripes. Life long Yankee fan and it’s getting  harder and harder to root for this team. 

O'Neil and Kaye are no better. Lost huge respect for Kaye today claiming he doesn’t see why Gardner’s antics are ejectable. Ask either one of those guys if they would accept that kind of behavior from their kids.  

16 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Not sure what the kid was bitching about.  The umpire should have called him out the instant his follow through knocked the ball out of F2's mitt on strike 3.

Dead ball, no?

On 8/17/2019 at 7:27 PM, The Man in Blue said:

Why is it important for MLB to step up and take care of the juvenile antics, particularly the recent penchants of Gardner and Boone?  Because this behavior is seen by the kids that play the game.  By not leveling some sort of additional penalties, MLB is reinforcing the notion that this behavior is acceptable.  Kids will and do imitate it.

Jump to about 17:30 and watch the behavior of Oklahoma’s FIRST BATTER of the game.  His behavior continues throughout the whole game (and infects other players).  While it isn’t Gardner bat-jacking level of misbehavior, I can guarantee it isn’t the look Little League wants.  Stomping around, slamming helmets, then yelling out on the field ... wonder where he saw that?

I understand your direction, but .......to me, that's just a frustrated 12 year old ;) 

On 8/17/2019 at 8:29 PM, grayhawk said:

Not sure what the kid was bitching about.  The umpire should have called him out the instant his follow through knocked the ball out of F2's mitt on strike 3.

He couldn't see it, but .. the ball was never actually caught

33 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

I understand your direction, but .......to me, that's just a frustrated 12 year old ;) 

I agree. I don't even think the "yelling" was at anyone in particular or that egregious. If I hadn't seen the previous play and just cut to this, I wouldn't have even thought he was yelling (if he even was).