spark2212

Replacing injured runners

Question

Let’s say someone hits a home run but gets hurt and can’t finish running the bases. Can someone run for him? Does his run automatically score? Is he out? What happens?

17 answers to this question

Obviously, Mr. ArchAngel72, you read my post but it seems you did not read the post immediately before mine—the one I responded to. That post stated categorically that there were no other live ball awards besides a base on balls and I was trying to show that there were.

Since you want a more relevant-to-the-OP reply, I will give you one. Here’s the actual OBR rule concerning injured runners.

2019 OBR rule 5.12(b)(3) When an accident incapacitates a player or an umpire;

(A) If an accident to a runner is such as to prevent him from proceeding to a base to which he is entitled, as on a home run hit out of the playing field, or an award of one or more bases, a substitute runner shall be permitted to complete the play.

• Like 1

Here’s a real example--

On Sept. 14, 2005, the Boston Red Sox defeated the Toronto Blue Jays 5-3 at the Skydome. The difference in the game came courtesy of second baseman Tony Graffanino, who launched a two-run home run in the top of the fifth inning off of Blue Jays starter Josh Towers.

The thing is that Graffanino could not complete his home run trot because the runner on first base at the time suffered an injury that didn’t allow him to finish running the bases. Who was that runner? Gabe Kapler.

While running around second base, Kapler stumbled and ruptured his left Achilles tendon. Kapler was unable to continue running, which halted Graffanino at first base until Red Sox manager Terry Francona had to substitute a pinch-runner--who turned out to be Alejandro Machado--to finish running the bases for Kapler, allowing Graffanino to finish running the bases as well:

• Like 1

His replacement is allowed to finish running the bases for him. I believe this is all rule codes.

30 minutes ago, yawetag said:

His replacement is allowed to finish running the bases for him. I believe this is all rule codes.

This is true of any base award where the ball is dead, correct? What about base awards where the ball is live?

9 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

What about base awards where the ball is live?

In what instances are bases awarded (by the umpire(s)) and the ball remains Live? Can you name any?

Technically, Ball 4 is an award of First Base to the Batter-(Runner), and the ball does remain Live. Besides this, though, every other base award or placement of runner(s) involves the calling of Time, making the ball Dead. Thus, any number of substitution or replacement means can be employed (within the rules available) to rectify and complete the award.

2019 OBR rule 5.06(b)

(4) Each runner including the batter-runner may, without liability to be put out, advance:

(B) Three bases, if a fielder deliberately touches a fair ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril;

(C) Three bases, if a fielder deliberately throws his glove at and touches a fair ball. The ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril;

(D) Two bases, if a fielder deliberately touches a thrown ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play;

(E) Two bases, if a fielder deliberately throws his glove at and touches a thrown ball. The ball is in play;

For all of the ones @Senor Azul mentioned, I'm letting play continue while the runner's on the ground and injured (assuming he's not in a position to be further injured). I'll play finish out, which will ultimately include him being tagged off base (unless he hobbles back to a base). Once play is relaxed, I'm calling time.

If the tag occurred before the base he was awarded, I'm awarding the base and allowing his replacement to complete the award from the last base the injured player touched. If he was injured past the base he was awarded, then he's out.

25 minutes ago, yawetag said:

For all of the ones @Senor Azul mentioned, I'm letting play continue while the runner's on the ground and injured (assuming he's not in a position to be further injured). I'll play finish out, which will ultimately include him being tagged off base (unless he hobbles back to a base). Once play is relaxed, I'm calling time.

If the tag occurred before the base he was awarded, I'm awarding the base and allowing his replacement to complete the award from the last base the injured player touched. If he was injured past the base he was awarded, then he's out.

Exactly.  We're not going to take away an award (even if it's "delayed") just because a player is injured.

Same thing on CI, for example.

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

In what instances are bases awarded (by the umpire(s)) and the ball remains Live? Can you name any?

Technically, Ball 4 is an award of First Base to the Batter-(Runner), and the ball does remain Live. Besides this, though, every other base award or placement of runner(s) involves the calling of Time, making the ball Dead. Thus, any number of substitution or replacement means can be employed (within the rules available) to rectify and complete the award.

I suppose you are correct. I was thinking of delayed dead ball awards, but that still does involve a dead ball eventually. 

How do we deal with a delayed dead ball award where other runners are awarded a base past where the injured runner is? Do they have the choice of not accepting the award, or only accepting part of the award? Do you, at some point (and if this is the case, when), kill the play, allow the substitution for the injured player, then let all runners finish their awards? If it's not one or both of those two, runners would be forced to pass another runner, and I can't imagine that's correct. 

2 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

2019 OBR rule 5.06(b)

(4) Each runner including the batter-runner may, without liability to be put out, advance:

(B) Three bases, if a fielder deliberately touches a fair ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril;

(C) Three bases, if a fielder deliberately throws his glove at and touches a fair ball. The ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril;

(D) Two bases, if a fielder deliberately touches a thrown ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play;

(E) Two bases, if a fielder deliberately throws his glove at and touches a thrown ball. The ball is in play;

I'm sorry but these rules have no meaning to me as to what the OP's question was.  These explain about what happens to a runner or what they are awarded should a fielder do a,b,c,d, or e.

I do not see how they reflect what happens to an injured runner.

Now this is LL

I did see from 3rd BU a kid earned a 4 ball walk upon his trot up to 1st he stepped in a soft spot and wrenched his ankle.  He collapsed right there and went into tears.  No other runners so.  Being its LL HP calls time for injury. Kid is replaced by a "special pinch runner"  (LL rule)  who goes to 1st base and the injured child hobbled off on his own power after 3 min or so.

So MLB

same situation I imagine time would be called if no one was on, and the injured player would be assisted off the field and a substitute would be announced and enter.

Home Run  same thing although Gibson managed to man up and hobble around the base path.  To be blunt I don't think any MLB player short of breaking their leg would not trot out a home run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biscuit said:

I suppose you are correct. I was thinking of delayed dead ball awards, but that still does involve a dead ball eventually. 

How do we deal with a delayed dead ball award where other runners are awarded a base past where the injured runner is? Do they have the choice of not accepting the award, or only accepting part of the award? Do you, at some point (and if this is the case, when), kill the play, allow the substitution for the injured player, then let all runners finish their awards? If it's not one or both of those two, runners would be forced to pass another runner, and I can't imagine that's correct. 

You're making it too hard.  Treat it just as if the runner (for whatever reason -- maybe he thought the ball was dead or something), stopped running.  Let the action play out.  Enforce any rules / awards / outs based on baserunning errors, etc.

On 8/9/2019 at 4:21 PM, Senor Azul said:

Obviously, Mr. ArchAngel72, you read my post but it seems you did not read the post immediately before mine—the one I responded to. That post stated categorically that there were no other live ball awards besides a base on balls and I was trying to show that there were.

And it’s my post that you’re replying to, and no, there are no other Live ball awards.

The cited rule states “may advance”, and each of those instances give the number of bases the runner(s) may advance, but it also states that the runners advance beyond those bases at their own peril. Yes, it clearly states that the ball remains in play (Live). However, we (umpires) do not make base awards while the ball is Live (except a Ball 4 Walk).

So, If a Runner pulls his hamstring, or twists an ankle, or is otherwise unable to get himself to the “awarded” base while in one of these situations, do we allow the ball to come back in, tag the injured runner, and register an/the out? Certainly not! We call Time (thus deadening the ball) and award and/or place runners as necessary. And do we require that the injured runner hoists himself up and hobbles to the next/awarded base, and only then be substituted or replaced? No, that’d be silly!

The same goes for Obstructions. If/when they occur, the ball stays Live... to a point. If the Obstructed Runner arrives at the base-to-be-awarded without further hindrance or a play upon him, then we disregard the awarding of Obs. If he proceeds past the base-to-be-awarded, then he does so of his own volition and peril. At the close of the play, do we call Time and award or place the Runner(s) at the bases? No... unless, again, the Obstructed Runner comes up short of the awarded base.

Señor Azul does have a valid point and citation that a substitution can be made for the purposes of completing an award. But therein lies my point. To make any substitution, whether offensive or defensive, the ball has to be dead, does it not?

So let me present the next question: if a Batter hits a ball that invokes an award – whether it be a Ground Rule Double, or a 3-Base Award because a fielder threw his glove at the ball, but the Batter-Runner tore his Achilles’ tendon coming out of the box – do we award his replacement / substitute the awarded base directly, or do we “insert” the substitute at the point of BR’s injury, and the substitute proceed to run the bases as the original BR would have?

(FWIW, I would implement the second option).

Let’s go to the Wendelstedt manual once again to see how to handle base awards for detached equipment on a batted ball.

“The umpire will immediately signal a three base award. The ball is left in play and runners may advance beyond their award at their own peril. If the defense gains possession of the ball, and no runner is attempting to advance, the umpire will call time and award the runners their bases.

“If, when the defense gains possession of the ball, at least one runner is attempting to advance, the umpire will leave the ball in play until all action ceases, or until a runner is tagged before reaching his awarded base.”

P101:  No one on, no outs, 1-2 count. The batter lines the next pitch fair down the first baseline. The right fielder throws his glove and strikes the ball just before the BR reaches first base. The ball shoots farther away into foul territory. When the right fielder finally throws the ball into the infield, the BR (a) has stopped at second base. (b) is tagged while sliding into third base. (c) reaches third base safely. (d) is tagged while sliding into the plate.

Ruling:  The umpire should signal a three base award when the ball is touched. In (a), the umpire should call time and award the BR third base. In (b), the umpire should call time when the BR is tagged, and award him third base. In (c) and (d), the play stands.

13 hours ago, MadMax said:

So let me present the next question: if a Batter hits a ball that invokes an award – whether it be a Ground Rule Double, or a 3-Base Award because a fielder threw his glove at the ball, but the Batter-Runner tore his Achilles’ tendon coming out of the box – do we award his replacement / substitute the awarded base directly, or do we “insert” the substitute at the point of BR’s injury, and the substitute proceed to run the bases as the original BR would have?

I'm writing the substitution on my lineup. It's up to them to complete the award correctly. And, if not, it's up to the defense to appeal correctly. My guess is that one of two things will happen:

(1) The substitute starts where the injury occurred and proceeds through the bases correctly.

(2) The substitute goes straight to the awarded base, but the defense doesn't even know he did anything wrong.

15 hours ago, MadMax said:

I think the rule is clear on this:

If an accident to a runner is such as to prevent
him from proceeding to a base to which he is
entitled, as on a home run hit out of the playing
field, or an award of one or more bases, a substitute
runner shall be permitted to complete the
play.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.