8U Shortstop Ejection

kolton.black
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1737 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I was umping an 8U rec PONY game.  One kid on the HT kept getting mad because he was a travel player on a bad rec team and his teammates were making errors.  When he was playing shortstop, he got a throw from one of the outfielders and spiked the ball.  Then, he threw the ball as hard as he could to the pitching coach and the coach almost missed it.  I told the kid to calm down because he was going to hurt someone.  On his next at bat, he grounded out to the pitcher and he got fired up.  In the next inning, he was back at shortstop and he threw the ball hard again to the coach.  This time, the coach missed it and the ball hit a kid in the side of the head while he was walking back into the dugout.  I ejected the 8 year old and he sat with his mom for the rest of the game.  After the inning, the HTHC thanked me for throwing the kid out because he needed to be taught he can't get through life crying all the time.  Ever since the ejection he has been a much calmer kid.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Lou B said:

Why didn't the manager/coach bench the kid?

I agree with your ejection but the manager could have taken disciplinary action against the kid well before it got to this point.

My bet is that he didn't want Mommy or Daddy to get mad at him for hurting their baby boy's feelings. . . . or he just didn't have any BALLS!

Popeye.jpg

• Like 1

I've found that travel ball players on a rec team are typically the bad apple. They think they're better than everyone else, when it's usually that mom and dad have enough money to put their kid on a travel team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yawetag said:

I've found that travel ball players on a rec team are typically the bad apple. They think they're better than everyone else, when it's usually that mom and dad have enough money to put their kid on a travel team.

To be fair, travel ball players generally ARE a lot better than rec. And it's not close.

Not that that is an excuse for poor sportsmanship

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 6:11 PM, Lou B said:

I agree with your ejection but the manager could have taken disciplinary action against the kid well before it got to this point.

And risk losing the travel ball player on his rec team!?

On 6/19/2019 at 2:11 AM, Lou B said:

Is there a mandatory play rule?

Back in a previous life, when I did LL, I had a manager ask me to give a kid no leash because of MPR. He lasted a pitch.

Yes, there is a Mandatory Play requirement in LL.  So, if the kid gets out of hand, just play him the Minimum and tell him (his parents) when he straightens out/starts behaving he'll get more playing time.

As an ump, there is no way I'm booting a kid based on a manager request.  If the kid does/says something that warrants an ejection he gets one, if not, he doesn't.  

21 hours ago, jjb said:

I believe the proper mechanic here is to turn to the HC and ask "do you want to handle this or should I?"

Gone is the day when spanking would have been the proper mechanic ...

Re: mandatory play — that is a good point.  Back when I ran our local league I had a coach who pushed every year for us to put in a provision that would allow an exception for the benching of players who didn’t make it to practice, caused problems, etc.  Problem is, I knew he was right, but he was just pushing for it so he could bench certain players.  He always pulled some shenanigans to get kids off his teams.

As a league, we discussed it but felt it was too cumbersome.  We would have to rely on coaches to report who was at practice, keep track of that, answer parents’ complaints if the information was wrong.  Maybe not a good excuse, but we did not have the capability (volunteer manpower) to do it.