Gear and Apparel Setup

jlutgen0
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2225 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

During the season, what is your setup with all of your gear and apparel?

I'm itching to get back so I made myself a closet in the back seat of my car with a wooden clothes rod that has all of my shirts, pants, jackets, and undershirts hanging from it. Then in my trunk I have a small box for backups (indicator, brush, sunglasses, cup, etc), box for primary small gear, base and plate shoes in their boxes, and then a larger bag with my shin guards, cp, and mask.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

When I worked, I used to take "all" my stuff.  THat was too much, and too much got faded from the sun.

If I coordinated with my partner on what we would wear, I started taking just that color -- two plates (one was a back up), one base (in an emergency, I could wear the plate shiort on the bases; I couldn't wear the base shirt behind the plate), two plate pants, one base pant (for the same reason).

These fit nicely lying flat in my trunk on top of the suitcase holding the rest of my gear.

Some old shoe boxes worked nicely as a substitute hat caddy.

• Like 1

I have an SUV. A clothing rod across the back seat for pants and shirts, a large plastic bin for plate gear, a small bin for miscellaneous small items (plate brushes, indicators, shoe laces, pens, etc.), and two small plastic bins for shoes. I leave the tops off of the bins so things can air out.

As a/the “Road Umpire”, the season never really ends, so I keep all my gear in a condition ready-to-go. Assigners and colleagues know I can get anywhere in the Valley in under an hour (sometimes 30 minutes or less), and I can be on the field within minutes soon after.

Just tell me the ruleset we’re using, and away we go.

I heavily rely on my Nike Brasilia 5 duffel bag, holding my shins, masks (2-3), CP (Schutt XV’s are hella-light!), plate and base shoes, personal protectors (always carry a spare), ball bags (blacks and grays), belts, and other accessories. I also carry a spare set of shoelaces, electrical tape, black duct tape, and an ample supply of sunblock. My pants (one each of plate and base) are folded into a garment sleeve at the top of the bag.

Like @umpstu, I use a garment bag to carry any/all shirts. Here in AZ, the 2010 Vertical-Stripe shirt in black is the workhorse, of course followed by 2010 sky/polo/light blue. The 2016 Panel shirt is catching on, so I have a set of those too. Because my CP is not a bloated sofa cushion with campware dinner plates on it, I do just fine with one size of shirt. In that garment bag, too, is my most versatile garment (and @Stk004 will be miffed when he reads this), my Majestic Convertible jacket.

My closet holds the other 16 colors and variations of shirt I have, and if I have time to coordinate, then I grab my favorites (Bermuda blue, gray) and take them along.

Lastly, I have a hat tote from Lids to carry all the hats I need (4&6 -stitch in AIA and 4&6 -stitch in plain black, 2 of each, just in case), as well as my baseball sunglasses.

I also have a cleaning caddy stocked in my car, as well as a compact REI camping stool. So, when I arrive on-site, I can either change at the car, or grab all 4 items (duffel over one shoulder, hat tote on the other) and dash to the locker / change room.

Laundry and gear prep time at home is like a hobby for me.

I have a pair of those large 3-drawer Sterilite clear plastic storage bins, about $18 each at Wal-Mart. One has 3 large drawers, the other has 2 large drawers and 2 half-height drawers for glasses, indicators, other small stuff. I used to use a rod for shirts and pants, but didn't want to have sun fade them. Plus, sometimes it's better not to advertise you're the umpire! I leave my stuff in the car the entire year - it's always there (except for laundry) so no worries about forgetting anything. Chest protector stands up in the space on the side between one of the drawers and the side, shins and chair in front, shoes lined up behind 2nd row seats (minivan with 3rd row folded down).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdIqlc3aUhXLmI0Vc6W-Awithout the casters

• Like 1

You umpires who use the rods across the back seats, aren't you afraid somebody will break in your car and steal gear?Just wondering.
I keep it all covered with a white sheet so nobody can see what it is, all you can see are the hangers on the rod. That also keeps the sunlight off of everything. Everything else is in the trunk.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just got a Dewalt wheeled 38" job box. It holds all my gear and clothes. Shirts and pants are in plastic storage boxes and undershirts, tights, and socks are loose on the bottom. Built a divider to keep gear and clothes separate. Holds everything and I keep it in the bed of my truck. Always ready and never have to worry if I forget anything. cd18a63c62a869bccfbf5654202d87fd.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, smoyer said:

You umpires who use the rods across the back seats, aren't you afraid somebody will break in your car and steal gear?Just wondering.

Yes and no. My windows are tinted.  I have a smaller SUV now but I always have 10 soccer jerseys, 2 pairs of shorts and 3 pairs of socks. Now that I am umpiring again all gear is in the trunk and I have one of those trunk covers that roll up. 

I use a rod across the backseats for my shirts.  All other gear is neatly organized in my trunk.  I use small tubs for shoes and smaller gear/brushes/indicators and laundry basket for plate gear and other backup items (pads, belt, socks, etc.).

I have window shades on my car to help keep sun out.  I'm thinking of doing the sheet thing though.  I don't like garment bags as it's a hassle taking stuff in and out of them.