Struggling With Plays at First When Working Solo

Sut'n Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2913 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

We're short of umpires and I've been working a good amount of games solo on the 90 foot diamond. Close plays at first are causing me to feel pretty uncomfortable. I'm pretty nimble so don't have a problem busting out but I don't feel like I'm getting a good look. Yes, I make it a point to get set and slow down my timing but I just can't find a way to get comfortable on these. When I bust out I clear to the left and loop toward the right. I'm wondering if I should be busting left and essentially stay on this path which is pretty much toward third base so as to get a better angle on the play at first. Throw in a soft toss to F3 which can't be heard and things get even worse.

All input appreciated.

I prefer to go further up the line to the left and a few steps in if I can. Angle over distance. If it's a soft toss and a banger, watch the reactions of the players. Mix their reactions with what you saw and you'll get your answer. When I do 14s that are used to one man umpires, they pretty much make their own calls. Runners walk off if they know their out or will clap and stay on the base when they're safe. Defensive player with drop their heads and throw the balls back when they've not made the out or slap their gloves when they've made the out.

When I'm doing one man, my nemesis is swipe tags. I've gotten better about slowing down and watching for the clues but I still know I'm missing more than I would be if I were out in b or c.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I rarely do 1-man work, but when I do I head towards the mound for a GB play at 1B. It gives me an angle to see BR touch 1B and puts me into the best place to start from if there is a second play to be called. 

• Like 2

I like to clear the catcher to the left, and head straight for the halfway point between 1st and 2nd. (1B side of the pitcher's mound) Get as far as I can until the throw is made. That's when I stop and set. Yeah, on a hard hit grounder you're not going to get more than a few steps, but those shouldn't be the bangers. More often than not the bang bang plays are going to come on the slow rollers. You can get some decent distance and I like that angle. Almost like calling plays at first from"B".

I prefer to go further up the line to the left and a few steps in if I can. Angle over distance. If it's a soft toss and a banger, watch the reactions of the players. Mix their reactions with what you saw and you'll get your answer. When I do 14s that are used to one man umpires, they pretty much make their own calls. Runners walk off if they know their out or will clap and stay on the base when they're safe. Defensive player with drop their heads and throw the balls back when they've not made the out or slap their gloves when they've made the out.

When I'm doing one man, my nemesis is swipe tags. I've gotten better about slowing down and watching for the clues but I still know I'm missing more than I would be if I were out in b or c.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Wow, at every level up through Varsity I have base coaches throwing exaggerated safe signs on outs that are not even close and BRs who are convinced they beat out hard 1-hoppers back to F1. Bangers at 1st at low volume can be tough but I'm trying not to factor in player, coach or fan reaction to make those calls.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I bust out from behind the plate after clearing B/R and F2 and head basically towards the mound shying to the right. I watch the ball get fielded since if it goes between the wickets we most likely will not have a play at 1st but may have one at 2nd... Head on a swivel if this happens to see the touch at 1st. Assuming the ball is fielded at that point I am slowing down so that upon release I am turning with the ball and fully stopped and watching the play at first. From this angle I can judge the flight of the ball, see the fielder, foot on the bag and see the B/R touch the bag. Other than being 45-60 feet away depending on how quickly all this develops I have a pretty good read on the play.

For steals stay put for the pitch. Once the pitch comes in call it as you take 2-3 large steps left and get set. As stated before... fielder at the bag, ball beats runner and tag is down you have an out unless you see something obvious... or they drop the ball :-) Left handed batter I still clear left as much as possible out of habit.

After the play give the count again as pretty much no one heard or saw what you called. 

On 5/19/2016 at 9:20 PM, Sut'n Blue said:

We're short of umpires and I've been working a good amount of games solo on the 90 foot diamond. Close plays at first are causing me to feel pretty uncomfortable. I'm pretty nimble so don't have a problem busting out but I don't feel like I'm getting a good look. Yes, I make it a point to get set and slow down my timing but I just can't find a way to get comfortable on these. When I bust out I clear to the left and loop toward the right. I'm wondering if I should be busting left and essentially stay on this path which is pretty much toward third base so as to get a better angle on the play at first. Throw in a soft toss to F3 which can't be heard and things get even worse.

All input appreciated.

Busting towards third gives you a worse angle, not a better one.

Busting towards first gives you the best angle you can get here without going foul. You'll have to decide how close to the line you'll want to stay, balancing the possibility of needing to make a call elsewhere.

On 5/20/2016 at 9:26 AM, noumpere said:

Break out to the left side and get as far as you can.  Usually 2 or 3 steps (because you still need to call the pitch).  If F4/6 has the ball at the base and puts the glove toward the ground, call the out.

This is about all you can do and if you have a swipe tag on the back side of 2nd base well...good luck. Make a call and stick with it.

The important thing about working 1-man mechanics is hustling enough to get the angles you need to make plays but not overhustling to the point that you're taking yourself out of position to cover the other plays. You're dealing with some major compromises here and you have to do the best you can.

• Like 2

Very easy.  Do the best you can.  Make sure you're not moving when you need to see the critical elements of the play.  

Make your call with confidence and move on.  

It's just one of you out there.  Do the best you can.  If they don't it... eff-em

If they still don't like it, start runnin' 'em.  

If you are noticing a pattern of unhappy folks, perhaps you are missing something....go back to the basics for how you'd take plays at first base in a 2,3 or 4 umpire system.

Keep your head up.

• Like 1

A little off topic but I've done a ton of 1 man work this season and it almost got me in trouble last night. I was working 3 man and I noticed that on every batted ball I instinctively busted out from behind HP, even with R2 or R3. It was brought to mind when R2 busted home and I was between HP and the mound, with the ball near 1B. :wacko2:

With an R2 or R3 I'm not going very far at all into the infield when working by myself. I'd rather work best as I can to get angles and not have to rush back to cover a plate at home behind me. That helps adjusting back to having a partner too.