Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4125 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Besides the NCAA rule book itself, does anyone have good resources to learn the NCAA DH rule?  I have the BRD, but don't like how Carl explains this one.

Posted

I went through the book - wrote it on cards and studied/quizzed on it.

It's not as hard as you think.

The complicated parts in my mind to learn are when the P/DH are the same person, and the double switch stuff. Generally most team use the straight 10 player line-up, so it is usually not an issue. If the P/DH are the same person, treat it like the FED DH rule, as far as substitutions.

 

Posted

Somewhere (and I thought it used to be on the Arbiter site) is a pretty good .ppt on the rule -- showing lineup changes under various scenarios, etc.

​So I had a chance to enter "ncaa designated hitter powerpoint" into google and came up with a couple of hits that seem correct (I did not watch the entire presentation), cincluding:

 

http://www.powershow.com/view/25b3a-MjZlM/NCAA_powerpoint_ppt_presentation

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAAahUKEwia1b_E5JbGAhUXm4gKHS4xAuI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.angelfire.com%2Fdc%2Fdelco-umps%2FNCAA_DH_Rule.ppt&ei=kG-BVZrNA5e2ogSu4oiQDg&usg=AFQjCNHTSxDcYL2eC-uHsfVvT8omDVRP1g&bvm=bv.96041959,d.b2w

(and, yeah, I could shorten that).

 

Just remember that there's an "offensive" role and a "defensive" role, and once you've been removed from one you can't re-enter in that role  So, for example, you can't go from p/dh, to just dh, to F6 (eliminating the DH).  You could go from p/dh directly to F6 (eliminating the DH).

 If the P/DH are the same person, treat it like the FED DH rule, as far as substitutions.

 

​I don't think that's true.

 

Posted

It's the craziest DH rule ever.  They (the NCAA) should adopt the OBR rule on DH. Period. 

Just my $0.02

Posted

It's the craziest DH rule ever.  They (the NCAA) should adopt the OBR rule on DH. Period. 

Just my $0.02

​It will "never" happen.  The general goal ("my pitcher is also a good hitter, so I want to be able to use him as a hitter when he's done pitching") is a good idea at the college level.

Posted

I've got a DH rule laminated pocket-sized reminder card I bought several years ago at NCAA umpires rules meeting from either Honig's or Gerry Davis Sports. I've carried it some. (When I wore a plate coat). Never had to use it. Review it before first game each year. It seems to help. Thank The Lord I haven't had any crazy DH rule substitutions in any of my games to date. I don't think most coaches understand the rule either so they don't try it. I've had some former college player high school level coaches try to use that DH rule in HS games. My reply: "Sorry, nice try. Not happening in this game coach."

Posted

​So I had a chance to enter "ncaa designated hitter powerpoint" into google and came up with a couple of hits that seem correct (I did not watch the entire presentation), cincluding:

 

http://www.powershow.com/view/25b3a-MjZlM/NCAA_powerpoint_ppt_presentation

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAAahUKEwia1b_E5JbGAhUXm4gKHS4xAuI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.angelfire.com%2Fdc%2Fdelco-umps%2FNCAA_DH_Rule.ppt&ei=kG-BVZrNA5e2ogSu4oiQDg&usg=AFQjCNHTSxDcYL2eC-uHsfVvT8omDVRP1g&bvm=bv.96041959,d.b2w

(and, yeah, I could shorten that).

 

Just remember that there's an "offensive" role and a "defensive" role, and once you've been removed from one you can't re-enter in that role  So, for example, you can't go from p/dh, to just dh, to F6 (eliminating the DH).  You could go from p/dh directly to F6 (eliminating the DH).

​I don't think that's true.

 

The pitcher/dh can be replaced as the pitcher and remain as the DH. There is no re-entry in NCAA. If he does move to a defensive position, then the DH role is gone.

This rule was added when a friend of mine (just recently passed away) who was part of the rules committee. He had a pitcher that hit very well. He got this rule through. That pitcher went on to be a successful pitcher in the bigs. He just smiled when asked about it.

Posted

Please let the rest of us know if you learn the NCAA DH Rule.

It's pretty much impossible to learn/remember all of it when you're put on the spot during a game.

Get or make a DH card. I copied/pasted the rule, reduced it to 4pt. font, printed it on card stock front & back, had it laminated and keep it in my line-up card holder.

  • Like 1
Posted

Please let the rest of us know if you learn the NCAA DH Rule.

It's pretty much impossible to learn/remember all of it when you're put on the spot during a game.

Get or make a DH card. I copied/pasted the rule, reduced it to 4pt. font, printed it on card stock front & back, had it laminated and keep it in my line-up card holder.

​Oh c'mon, man! Just develop a photographic memory and you'll be all set!

:D

  • Like 1
Posted

Please let the rest of us know if you learn the NCAA DH Rule.

It's pretty much impossible to learn/remember all of it when you're put on the spot during a game.

Get or make a DH card. I copied/pasted the rule, reduced it to 4pt. font, printed it on card stock front & back, had it laminated and keep it in my line-up card holder.

​I haven't laminated mine, but I did the same thing.  I haven't had to use it yet, but in the same breath I'm not too proud to look if a situation comes up.  

Posted

Please let the rest of us know if you learn the NCAA DH Rule.

It's pretty much impossible to learn/remember all of it when you're put on the spot during a game.

Get or make a DH card. I copied/pasted the rule, reduced it to 4pt. font, printed it on card stock front & back, had it laminated and keep it in my line-up card holder.

​It's incredibly convoluted.  The resources provided so far have definitely been helpful.

 

Posted

I typed it in MS-word and printed it.  Then shrunk it with a copier and have it taped to the inside of my line-up card holder.  I love studying rules (I am a lawyer), but I gave up on this one...and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Posted

I have the laminated card that MidAmUmp made and keep it in my lineup folder.  If I ever am not sure I look at it first before I do anything. 

×
×
  • Create New...