Jerry Layne leaves the game ... ball 4 or foul?

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3302 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Ok ...

Jerry Layne takes a ball off the glove of Cervelli for ball 4 right in the eye slot of his Wilson Titanium ....  He wants to stay, but leaves the game.   Now, the discussion is ...ball 4 , or foul ball?   Cabrera has fun w/ the Pirate fans.

Also ....  I noticed this on Monday, but .... check out the jackets the guys are wearing??  I haven't seen this one yet (only in this series).

http://m.mlb.com/video/v75704983

Despite she-who-must-be-obeyed being a tigris Fanaticus, I would have kept him at bat.  His reactions were not that of someone who had received ball four (start trotting to 1B) but rather that of someone who fouled off the ball (sticking around the plate).

Despite she-who-must-be-obeyed being a tigris Fanaticus, I would have kept him at bat.  His reactions were not that of someone who had received ball four (start trotting to 1B) but rather that of someone who fouled off the ball (sticking around the plate).

No, .... he was waiting and wondering about a 'check-swing' ........and the fact that there was a delay w/ Layne's injury.  I understand the logic, but there's 2 sides to that coin....  :2cents:

I was watching the ballgame.  It didn't seem, on the number of replays, that the ball ever touched the bat.  I did not see any directional change of the flight of the ball until it hit Cervelli's mitt...then into Layne's mask.   That was a heck of a shot.  It looked like he was checking to see if he had all his chicklets in place.  Hopefully, nothing serious comes from this.

Not sure if it was this crew or a different one, but I saw those jackets earlier this week too. At first I thought they were wearing long sleeve shirts with the convertible ThermaBase on top. I'm confused about the MLB umpire attire now. Too much to keep up with.

I don't have the ball hitting the bat either. 

Didn't see contact with the bat and on the replay you can hear there's only two touches--one of the ball hitting the glove and the other of the ball hitting Jerry in the face.

Agreed. It looks like Cabrera hung around the plate because there was a check swing and nobody made a call on it. You can see him looking down to first for a call right after the pitch.

• Like 2

I think F2 was arguing so hard because he didn't want to look like an idiot for practically whiffing on the pitch.

I agree that the ball never hit the bat.

• Like 1