What Do You Want To Know?

MidAmUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3283 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

How many years of umpiring did it take you guys to break into the NCAA ranks?

This one is funny for me...

I was umpired USSSA slowpitch and did really well. I moved to NorCal and got into HS football ( which i still do). Then when baseball came around they asked me if i would be interested in doing HS baseball, and i said "hell yeah"..my 1st yr of organized baseball was Freshman and JV ( which in NorCal is 1 man) well i got my break doing a Double header JV game, the varsity coach was watching the game and thought i did really well, hustled and all that stuff, he called the assigner the next day. 2 days later i got a Varsity game, and bam i was hooked.

After that 1st season i umpired all kinds of baseball. LL, pony, USSSA, triple crown. I got to work with 2 D1 guys who told me about a clinic and so I went.  they ever tell you that you ( personally speaking ) think you know what you're doing and then when you get to a clinic, forget about i was like "wow"... I stood in line practiced, practiced and kept going back in line for the double play footwork...and kept going till Scott Higgins said "get out of line". after the clinic i was asked to come and work a college scrimmage ( now in my head i said, what I just got into baseball like 6 months ago, just learning 2 man, and now you want me to do 3 man?) so i went and the assigner was like " i know that you dont know 3 man and that's ok, i just want to see you work the plate".

I was hired into the CCCBUA group which handle all the JUCo and NAIA in NorCal... i was on cloud 9. after 1 year of HS ball i got into JUCO AWESOME.

I worked a half of season and then moved to Mid Missouri. i umpired like 3 games that season, then got into American Legion stuff just to keep working baseball.

the fall i attended 2 clinics ( I will admit i became a clinic whore) a 3 man and Jim Evans 3 day clinic in NJ. I had already decided i was going to attend Umpire School, but not sure when.

the next season ( which is 2nd season in College ball, i worked every NAIA game that was thrown my way ( i'm a stay at home dad with lot's of availability). i was fortunate enough to get asked to work the NAIA conference tournament and NAIA regionals.

My break into D1 came at the NAIA regionals in 09' my 2nd year in college baseball. this is the conversation. My NAIA assigner who also assigns at a D1 school, Him another guy and myself were sitting there watching a game, and the assigner got a text saying he needed a umpire at the D1 school for a weekend series. he then looks over to us and ask " which one of you want's it?"  the other guy said " well i might be able to go"... he then looks at me and says " you want it?" I said " i know your not asking me right?" yea he says I watched you work all week and you'll be fine. So that my friends is how i got my 1st D1 games.

every off season i have been too 2-3 clinics, I was hungry, eager and wanted to get better.

The next year i got 3 more D1 games at the same school and my crew chief was Midamump.

• Like 2

I started umpiring in 1994.  Started getting college assignments in 1997.  Was hired in a D-2 conference in 2001 and a D-1 conference in 2008.  Obviously a lot of breaking in has to do with availability and ability...although you don't have to have a lot of ability if you are available for a 12:00 start on a Tuesday.  Some of it has to do with being in the right place at the right time (I worked my first D1 game because I was going to watch my friend work and one of the guys on the crew came down with food poisoning before the game).

Food poisoning, eh?

That's... convenient...

Should I still be taking notes, or... ?

:wave:

It's not just years, but age and maturity. I started in 1995 and did my first NCAA game in 2011--but I was 15 when I started, 24 when I did my first JUCO game, and 30 when I got into NCAA. As Jason says, it's also having opportunity. Due to my career, I wasn't able to get into an association that had an NCAA pipeline, but when I did, I was in the NCAA ranks within two years.

A big part of moving up is being seen by those 'who count'. This can either be at a clinic or even fall games.

In Maine I had to apply with recommendations (and  minimum amount of years with a varsity schedule), take a rules test (college) to see if we knew the rules differences, work a double header as a field test. Of course there is a fee to this.

After all of the testing is done the results a reviewed by the state board, then passed on to the coordinator that assigns our state's conferences. We then of course have to pay the coordinator's fees, take another test then get assignments if all is good to that point.

Fortunately my first year, I was getting D-3 games, and the number of assignments has grown since that year. We are fortunate to have the oppurtunity to be evaluated by our assignor and e-board members by watching the games via the internet (for many of the games). This helps to get assignments as well.

The biggest thing that I found that helped me, was to keep your ears open, talk to and work with senior respected members and work hard to improve with every pitch.

I am now an e-board member and do evaluations for our local HS board. I learned a lot from feedback given to me, that helps pass on information to younger members, and give  logical reasons for the advice.

Most of all - don't fear change and moving to the next level - embrace the chance, learn the next level well and most of all have fun.

Guy's this is an awesome topic thanks @MidAmUmp for starting this. 

I have gone through and hidden a lot of sidebar conversations not to take away from the importance of this topic. 

If you have a sidebar comment please use the sidebar tool by enclosing your post or comment with the sidebar blocks.

[sidebar] Your comments here [/sidebar]

Something that I want to know, may be easy to most of you. To me my biggest weakness or problem behind the plate, regardless of age, is the inside to outside pitch that may cross just a few inches of the front outside corner of the plate and continues off the plate. I am so inconsistant on this type of pitch. How do you handle these pitches?

Thanks

@midtnump

To try and answer your question. I've always tried to get that pitch. Didn't think I was doing the best job with it. Sometimes me and my positioning. Sometimes catchers butcher it. Sometimes pitchers just aren't consistently around the zone enough to get that pitch.

Fall 2013 I went to the Topeka Premier Umpires (3 Man) camp. I had Dan Weikle, NCAA Div II Umpire Coordinator and Bob Jones, former CWS umpire and former Big 8 and Big 12 along with other DI conferences assigner watching me. I always thought I had a pretty good stance and saw most of the pitches. They had me get very close to the catcher. Waaaaay up in the slot. And focus on track to the mitt. See the ball, with my eyes moving, not my head, all the way until the catcher receives it.

Wow! What an improvement. Timing improved too. I'm not great. I don't get all of them. But, when the ball runs across that plate and the pitcher has been around the zone, the catcher received without butchering it and I haven't taken a piss down my leg, I can really see and get that pitch for a strike and have the intestinal fortitude, confidence and conviction to effin call it. Why? Because I really saw it well.

I can do this regardless of the count or game situation.

I wouldn't have believed it worked that well. I'm short of statute, 5' 9" but still pretty quick and mobile for my age with no knee problems. Worked for me.

My .02.....

• Like 2

Something that I want to know, may be easy to most of you. To me my biggest weakness or problem behind the plate, regardless of age, is the inside to outside pitch that may cross just a few inches of the front outside corner of the plate and continues off the plate. I am so inconsistant on this type of pitch. How do you handle these pitches?

Thanks

On a pitch like that I call the catcher--if on a right handed batter the catcher back hands the pitch I ball it , but if he reached up and sticks it I will get that strike all day--the catcher has to catch the ball in his body frame

Thanks

There could be several reasons this is happening. I'd like to see a side view of your stance. If your slot foot isn't up in the slot far enough, you're taking your head/body out of the zone.

Describing this may not make sense, but here it goes...

I'd prefer to see an umpire face more towards the 2nd base or shortstop side of the field depending on RHB or LHB. You don't want to over do it, but if you do that you ensure your feet are in the slot and it get's your head/eyes seeing the entire zone. If your head is between the corner of the plate and batter's box line any pitch your eyes have to shift inside (to the left on a RHB and to the right on a LHB) is a ball. This allows you to see the outside corner very well. Another thing I'd recommend is making sure you can see the outside, front corner of the opposite batter's box - so on a RHB, I want to be able to see the front outside corner of the left handed batter's box. If I can see that, I know I'm in the slot and have a great view of the outside corner.

• Like 4

Why are we not describing pitches as they really are? They move on three planes, down, forward and in or out. It can really make a difference on this pitch to see a lefty with arm side run throwing away to a RH batter. I've got to see that pitch from his hand to the mitt, be able to describe what I saw as it moved in those three dimensions and decide if it was a strike. That's why I think only the catcher sees a pitch similar to I do. I love the idea of using the outside of the opposite batter's box as a check on how well I can see the ball away.

Great info guys, you have given me a lot of info to digest. @KenBAZ, you are correct, I should have described it the way that you did. Its that sidearm motion that runs away from the RHB at a sharp angle and catches the front outside corner of the plate. Also the catcher having to reach way outside of his body to make the catch. I tend to ball more of these pitches. Am I taking good pitches away from the pitcher?

Great info guys, you have given me a lot of info to digest. @KenBAZ, you are correct, I should have described it the way that you did. Its that sidearm motion that runs away from the RHB at a sharp angle and catches the front outside corner of the plate. Also the catcher having to reach way outside of his body to make the catch. I tend to ball more of these pitches. Am I taking good pitches away from the pitcher?

I don't know what level you work, but I would say HS varsity and above, the catcher cannot reach outside his body to catch a pitch for a strike. HS pitchers start to develop control and start to gain the ability to spot up. Catchers need to know how to properly catch pitches & get to the spot before the ball gets there. Sub varsity and below, just get strikes. The catchers aren't strong enough or smart enough to stick pitches and know where the ball is going to go before it gets there, plus you're also dealing with throwers vs. pitchers.

@midtnump

Based on your answer above I think Jason has already answered your question.

To echo his advice and offer it another way: Get the strikes any which you can based on the pitch only. You can't even factor the catcher into the equation unless he is blocking you from seeing the pitch as it crosses the plate.

Good luck.

Mid am ump... how about changing a call.. maybe a fair to foul or safe to out on a off the bag type play?... talk us through one of those.

Well...since you didn't start it, I guess I will.

The rule book & CCA manual (and other manuals depending on your level) discuss changing calls.

I would simply say this about fair/foul: If you aren't sure - say you get blocked out by a fielder at the last second (this shouldn't be happening very often), call it fair. Even though the rule book allows us to overturn a foul to fair and place runners, it's a hell of a lot easier to call it foul, put a strike on the board and return everyone to their TOP base if necessary. I'd rather deal with that argument than changing foul to fair.

Changing a safe/out call...

Again, there are protocols in place for what can & can't be changed and procedures for handling getting together to get a call right. I'm not a fan of simply getting together to appease the coach. If you're 100% sure, tell him that and stick to your call. Agree to disagree and move on. If you're not sure, get him off the field and call the crew together. Never, ever, ever, never, ever just turn and ask your partner what he has. You don't know what he was watching. You need to get together when/where no one else can hear your conversation. What I personally do when we get together is the calling umpire tells the crew what he has - even if it's pretty obvious what he has. Then ask if anyone else has any info that can overturn the call. It doesn't matter if you are a 30 year veteran or you're working your first game at that level, if you have info you'd better give it, and you'd better be willing to accept the info given. Then the Crew Chief discusses how to go from there (either changing the call and dealing with the other coach, or sticking with the call and how we're handling that coach). The calling umpire announces/signals the decision of the crew. If the call is being changed the calling umpire and crew chief need to discuss it with the opposing coach. If you are sticking with the call, simply confirm your call and go back to your positions. If that coach wants to argue, you should have already told him he can't come back out and if so he'll be ejected...right  :nod: . So he knows if he comes out he's getting run. You just turn to him and tell him, "Jim, you can't come back out here. If you do you'll be ejected." Ball's in his court and you do what you have to do.

I may take some heat for this, and it goes against protocols in place, but I really feel if you know 250% your partner missed it & THE DUGOUT OR COACH IS ON FIRE, you need to waive off the coach and get in there and at least tell your partner what you saw. Yes, the coach needs to stay under control and also control his team, but in a big situation that's not likely to happen if a call is OBVIOUSLY missed. Just like I said about fair/foul...this shouldn't be happening very often. I have never had to do this in my entire career. However, if I see the ball on the ground or something extremely obvious that my partner has missed and the coach or participants are in jeopardy of being ejected, I'm going to get in there and try to save them. I say that because what will you do if you miss one that bad, eject someone, then get together and change the call? You're going to have to do some explaining.  

• Like 8

@MidAmUmp

Jason,

That........was........awesome!

Fantastic explanation. Should be required reading for all college and high school umpires at a minimum. Hell, ALL umpires should read that. Best explanation I have ever read or heard.

Everyone, please commit this to memory. Make it part of your pregame with your partner(s).

Well worth the time to read.

Thank you for the effort. A great service for all of us.

@MidAmUmp

Great idea for a thread and great reading.  The question I was just chatting with a few friends about the other day has to do with moving from one area to another.  Example.... one of my good friends works NCAA Div 2, 3, NAIA and JuCo he has a good network in SoCal and he should be getting close to D1, but his wife is going to be placed for her surgical residency.  And there is a very real chance of moving cross country. He was asking me about umpiring in the midwest vs socal.  What would your words/thoughts on this would be.  What trends have you seen from umpires across the country......

@MidAmUmp

Great idea for a thread and great reading.  The question I was just chatting with a few friends about the other day has to do with moving from one area to another.  Example.... one of my good friends works NCAA Div 2, 3, NAIA and JuCo he has a good network in SoCal and he should be getting close to D1, but his wife is going to be placed for her surgical residency.  And there is a very real chance of moving cross country. He was asking me about umpiring in the midwest vs socal.  What would your words/thoughts on this would be.  What trends have you seen from umpires across the country......

I would first ask "what part of the Midwest?" 

@MidAmUmp

I would agree with @Matt - what part of the Midwest?

Overall I think the Midwest is maybe a little more "welcoming" than other parts of the country when it comes to quality umpires moving into the area...based on stories I've heard from quality guys with good resumes having moved from the Midwest to either coast.

When you move you are going to have to do several things...

1. A resume with good references. Les Wrinkles - the local dry cleaner who also assigns the hometown league isn't one of them. You want people who are known across the country, conference supervisors, etc.

2. Like it or not you're going to have to go to a clinic or something to be seen. Even a good resume with reputable guys who vouch for you will only go so far. You're going to have to prove you can do it.

3. In most areas you aren't going to immediately pick up your career where it left off in your old area. Again, the Midwest is probably more willing to place someone at the same level, but seniority and reputation have to be earned. Coaches won't know you and neither will your partners.

The best advice I would give anyone moving from one area to another is to sit back and study. Get to know the umpires, how they umpire, how they enforce things, how they handle situations, how they handle people. Too many guys come in on their high horse and want to show everyone "how things are done where I come from." Well...that's where you came from, not here.

I don't mean to piss anyone off with these stereotypical comments because a lot of it has to do with how coaches/teams behave in various areas, too...From what I've seen, east coast umpires are more "by the book" and put up with less crap. West coast guys are more laid back, but have maybe a cocky/know it all mentality. Guys in the Midwest tend to be laid back, easy to get along with (from the "Northern Nice" they get a little more red ass moving south), maybe call things less by the book and more with common sense. There are always exceptions to the rule, but these are things I've observed. If someone moves into a new area and tries to do things "their way", they won't be as successful as those who try to go with the flow.

Always my biggest question. What does everyone do for a living? How can you have a full time job with a full D1 schedule and mid week games thrown in on a Tuesday at 2pm?

I have a pretty forgiving workplace, but I think it will still prohibit me from ever seriously getting into college baseball.

@MidAmUmp

His move across country might be better.. as I have heard getting into D1 in Cali, is like pulling a hang nail. 

But what he need to do is find out who the assigners are ( case in point ask someone on here )  a few of us college guys really know people. ( i not saying i will put my name on the line for him to get games, but will find a number or email addy) and simply ask them about joining their staff.