Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4493 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Posted

I found out i will be doing a game alone this week, happy to do it just a bit lost its 15U which around here is full on mlb rules and the kids can hit/play so its a "real" game, I currently debating 3 ways to handle the game here they are below, which should i do? 1) Umpire from behind homeplate alone 2) umpire alone from behind the mound 3) ask for a parent volunteer to cover some infield for me. Please help!?

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted

@Sayhey - for the record, I don't work one man either. The only level that uses 1 man is coach pitch 8u. And, IMO, one umpire on that field is one too many. But I will gladly work those games if I get assigned to them. Easy $35 @ hour.

I hear what you're saying, and I don't necessarily disagree. But you are more fortunate than some of the other guys on here who do work one man. And if they refused, they'd just get scratched and another guy would work one man. Suddenly, the refuser finds that his phone isn't ringing and he's getting fewer and fewer games.

Remember, we are independent contractors. There's always someone else willing to work if you're not. I'd be slow to draw lines in the sand.

The day I say no to one man is the day I get fired period
  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

One man is the standard here for Babe Ruth ball.  I've done it for years, I "grew up" in one man.  If I said I wouldn't work one man games then I simply wouldn't work games because plenty of other guys will.

  • 0
Posted

Yes, Jocko, you are right about that. Lines in the sand can be foolish. We do not have a union but sometimes we describe ourselves as a brotherhood. What would happen if all the brothers got together and said in a respectful manner," hey, I deserve a partner". If you can sell the payer that they will get much better coverage with 2 umpires maybe that would do the trick or if you can hammer home the point that the players deserve 2 umpires.

My apologies for over simplifying a complicated issue.

  • 0
Posted

It's an idea that In theory works well . But what happens is you can't get everybody on board. Sure as groups we can take a stand , but somewhere down the line our "brothers" hear about the 1 1/2 game fee and agree to work the 1 man . For the record only 1 man games are frost, and lower JV ball . Most rec, USSSA , varsity is 2 man . But I know lots of guys who'll work 1 man for the extra fee .

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

Around here, pretty much all youth ball is one man. Most travel tourneys (over the weekend) go 2 man at 14 and up, but none of the youth travel or rec leagues do except VFW and Legion.  High School JV and under is all one man too.  Essentially, if you want to get 2 man assignments (work Varsity/Legion games) you better get very good at one man, and have a strong track record.  After a while, you'll get a crack at Legion/Varsity, and after you've proven to be good enough, you can work a full schedule of Legion/Varsity and above.  But you've gotta work your way to that point doing one man.  If you say no one man, you'll be done before you start.  

  • 0
Posted

There are many components to a baseball program. General manager down to someone washing uniforms. Grounds crew, burger and hot dog person. Secretary and team bus driver.

Announcer and music person. Coaching staff.

The purchase of balls, bats, clay, chalk, and tarps. Backstop maintenance.

Payment for a lease of land and water bills.

Sprinkler maintenance and mound maintenance

A cart to drag the infield. A grass mover.

Lighting for night games. Purchase and maintenance. It goes on and on, so a board could decide that enough money has already been spent. Let's cut our budget by keeping umpire fees as low as possible. Let's hire one umpire to do a 3 man job. Sounds like a good idea until there is a very close play at third base in a tie game. If you are going to pay 1.5 fee to 1 umpire why not hire a second umpire for .5 game fee cost and trim the budget somewhere else.

Another mind set would be to prioritize umpires in your budget from the start. If a board could be convinced that 2 good umpires enhance the league, bring the class level of the league up, maybe they would value umpires enough to hire 2

With travel ball the players are better and more competitive than ever. I think all the effort that is put into a program to make it an exciting experience for players and parents deserves good umpire crews. I think it is short sighted to save bucks by cutting crews down to the minimum. Someone said it is just a kids game, why bother. I think if we are going to do something, lets do it right. Let's have some class

Players play better and have a better experience

Our local Legion team competes at a high level

They play in the Legion World Series often.

They work hard to get better and they compete

When they are on the road at a tournament they go to team breakfast and when they return to their room their uniform is cleaned and folded and placed on their bed with their cap and socks

It is a touch of class and the players feel valued and they respect the program.

We work youth games like a varsity high school game. Call your partner the night before

Pre game and post game(beer/pizza)

Shined shoes or patent leather. Pro style shirts that are clean and match. Jackets that match and caps that are new and say," I take your game seriously and I am here to work". Honigs poly wool pants with pleats that actually see a dry cleaner once in a while. Patent leather belts and new mask pads. It's just a mind set of honoring the game. Respect. Passion. Class.

Everyone had to make a choice what kind of program they want.

  • 0
Posted

Grayhawk, I have seen the united we stand strategy work. We do not have 12 million people in our Valley so out volume of games is minuscule compared to yours. We also do not have millions of potential umpires to recruit and train. I stand by my statement and I believe it serves every umpire in America to listen to me

Refuse to work one man and your local area will change and stop assigning one man to a 3 man job. It is unfair and unnecessary. Are you telling me that a valley with 12 million people can not find and or train umpires so every game has a 2 man crew or better? Full disclosure would let you know that we split a 2 man fee 3 ways and have done so for 15 years. We do not umpire for money. We do it for the challenge and fun.

We spend most of our check on pizza and beer after the game. I count myself blessed to work high school ball 3-man. It is a lot of fun

Side note Billy Haze's 3- man clinic in Sacramento is great.the plate umpire and 1st base umpire from yesterday's Kentucky vs Kansas game were instructors at the camp last Nov. Benches emptied in that game. Billy Joe Speck and Scott Higgins did a great job of game management. You can attend the camp and then go back to your high school association and tell them you want to try 3-man. You will like it.

 

@ Sayhey - it has nothing at all to do with not having enough umpires here - quite the opposite actually.  It's not as if one umpire simply can't do an effective job.  I've worked solo in at least 60 HS games over the last 4 years and I've never had to eject and rarely have any problems at all - no more proportionally as compared to my 2 man games during the same period.  Maybe we are our own worst enemy when we go out and do a great job on a solo game.  So be it.

 

It's a simple matter of economics.  Budgets are shrinking, and entire teams are being scratched because the parents, who cannot be required to pay, are not paying.  A friend of mine has a son that is a freshman at the local HS.  He tried out and made the freshman basketball team.  The suggested donation, per family, was $900.  Only 2 families paid that amount and half of the families paid nothing.  The rest paid an average of less than $300 each.  The freshman team is now on the chopping block for next year because the school can't afford it.  You think they are worried about getting 2 umpires for freshman and JV baseball when they are just trying to get enough money together to keep a team on the field?  Each umpire in our association has had games cancelled because the schools ended up scratching the whole team.

 

In travel ball here, most of the tournaments are 2 man.  USSSA is 2 man, Extreme Diamond is 2 man and AAU is 2 man.  Of course, the game fees are only a little more than half the game fees for HS games, and for other solo work.  I can work a solo off-season HS level DH for about the same money as working 4 travel ball games for USSSA or AAU and be done in a little more than half the time.

 

As far as telling my HS association about 3 man - we're not a bunch of hayseeds down here you know.  We have one private school league that pays for 3 man varsity and 2 man sub-varsity.  Our playoffs are all 3 man until the semi-finals which are then 4 man.  We have a 3 man clinic sponsored by the association every year as well.  The association would love to have 3 man for all varsity regular season and 2 man for all other games, but if we demanded it, the schools would simply get their umpires elsewhere.  Again - just a matter of economics.

  • 0
Posted

To go back tothe OP: as a parent sitting in the stands watching my son play at various levels with solo umps and two man crews (and an occaisonal three sneaking in), I can tell you that the best way to get respect is what was said at the start of the thread: get out from behind the plate and show you give a damn and are going to hustle to be in a good position to see it.  Yup, not the easiest to bust out in the gear, but if F2 can bust his tail down the first base line to back up a throw at first, you can bust into the infield to get a good angle. Parents and coaches notice and appreciate it.  The kids don't notice, but they appreciate that the calls are better, even if they don't know why.

  • Like 2
  • 0
Posted

To go back tothe OP: as a parent sitting in the stands watching my son play at various levels with solo umps and two man crews (and an occaisonal three sneaking in), I can tell you that the best way to get respect is what was said at the start of the thread: get out from behind the plate and show you give a damn and are going to hustle to be in a good position to see it.  Yup, not the easiest to bust out in the gear, but if F2 can bust his tail down the first base line to back up a throw at first, you can bust into the infield to get a good angle. Parents and coaches notice and appreciate it.  The kids don't notice, but they appreciate that the calls are better, even if they don't know why.

 

In my last solo game a couple of weeks ago, as I was leaving the field, one of the spectators said, "Way to hustle out there.  You were right there at that play at third."

 

I don't really care if they think I got all the calls right or not.  People will always disagree depending on their angle or their desire to win.  But it's nice when they notice that I am working hard out there, regardless of the outcome.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

sometimes schools around here will assign one ump for sub varsity scrimmages - they pay the one ump a check and a half. They save money and the ump makes money and i will take them whenever offered

  • 0
Posted

and I umpire for the money..I m fortunate that my necessary 2nd job is one that I love and that pays pretty well

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

There are many components to a baseball program. General manager down to someone washing uniforms. Grounds crew, burger and hot dog person. Secretary and team bus driver.

Announcer and music person. Coaching staff.

The purchase of balls, bats, clay, chalk, and tarps. Backstop maintenance.

Payment for a lease of land and water bills.

Sprinkler maintenance and mound maintenance

A cart to drag the infield. A grass mover.

Lighting for night games. Purchase and maintenance. It goes on and on, so a board could decide that enough money has already been spent. Let's cut our budget by keeping umpire fees as low as possible. Let's hire one umpire to do a 3 man job. Sounds like a good idea until there is a very close play at third base in a tie game. If you are going to pay 1.5 fee to 1 umpire why not hire a second umpire for .5 game fee cost and trim the budget somewhere else.

Another mind set would be to prioritize umpires in your budget from the start. If a board could be convinced that 2 good umpires enhance the league, bring the class level of the league up, maybe they would value umpires enough to hire 2

With travel ball the players are better and more competitive than ever. I think all the effort that is put into a program to make it an exciting experience for players and parents deserves good umpire crews. I think it is short sighted to save bucks by cutting crews down to the minimum. Someone said it is just a kids game, why bother. I think if we are going to do something, lets do it right. Let's have some class

Players play better and have a better experience

Our local Legion team competes at a high level

They play in the Legion World Series often.

They work hard to get better and they compete

When they are on the road at a tournament they go to team breakfast and when they return to their room their uniform is cleaned and folded and placed on their bed with their cap and socks

It is a touch of class and the players feel valued and they respect the program.

We work youth games like a varsity high school game. Call your partner the night before

Pre game and post game(beer/pizza)

Shined shoes or patent leather. Pro style shirts that are clean and match. Jackets that match and caps that are new and say," I take your game seriously and I am here to work". Honigs poly wool pants with pleats that actually see a dry cleaner once in a while. Patent leather belts and new mask pads. It's just a mind set of honoring the game. Respect. Passion. Class.

Everyone had to make a choice what kind of program they want.

I still contend in my league we do 10U as one man, we all are fine with it 2 is over kill for those games its local travel not very competitive ball at all we simpily do not need 2 umps, in

12 or higher we need 2 and we send 2 normally this time is a special circumstance and its not feasible, its not ideal to be alone there but its needed, i love working alone in

10 U it works and helps me get in better shape, nothing wrong with working alone in

10U at all,

  • 0
Posted

As someone who has worked a lot of one man in my limited time umpiring - I would have to say that most of the advice listed here is the advice I got when I asked this site about one-man.  And it worked.  Good coaches will leave you alone and accept the fact that some calls (close tag plays, steals at 2nd) may be missed unless you wear an S on your CP.  However, another thing that I learned from some of the vets on here when working one man (particularly blue23ll and BigUmpire) is that the rats get no rope to gnaw on.  Shut them down and then send them off if they do anything except come to you on their best behavior. 

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

As someone who has worked a lot of one man in my limited time umpiring - I would have to say that most of the advice listed here is the advice I got when I asked this site about one-man. And it worked. Good coaches will leave you alone and accept the fact that some calls (close tag plays, steals at 2nd) may be missed unless you wear an S on your CP. However, another thing that I learned from some of the vets on here when working one man (particularly blue23ll and BigUmpire) is that the rats get no rope to gnaw on. Shut them down and then send them off if they do anything except come to you on their best behavior.

Thanks that is sound advice I was planning on being very strict with them during this game
  • 0
Posted

I've plent of solo games, never a 15u solo (that's just crazy).  I tell the coaches up front that I probably will miss pick-off attempts at 3rd and maybe 2nd if I'm blocked at all by the pitcher.  Other than that, hustle to get into a decent angle and do the best you can.  I tried going solo once many years ago from the behind the mound, never again, behind the plate is so much easier and better. 

  • 0
Posted

Sounds like a good idea until there is a very close play at third base in a tie game.

At some levels that matters.  At some it doesn't.  And at all, it's (relatively) rare.

 

I agree with your points -- but it's always a consideration between costs / availability and value.  It's why (most) D-1 conferences use three in the regular season, but go to 4 in the post-season.  It's why HS and JuCo and small college use two, but then go to three for conference tournaments and 4 for (college) regionals or state.  etc.

  • 0
Posted

I've plent of solo games, never a 15u solo (that's just crazy). I tell the coaches up front that I probably will miss pick-off attempts at 3rd and maybe 2nd if I'm blocked at all by the pitcher. Other than that, hustle to get into a decent angle and do the best you can. I tried going solo once many years ago from the behind the mound, never again, behind the plate is so much easier and better.

Why do so many guys address with the coaches that they are going solo? Just get out there and make the call you see. Dont tell them up front that you will possibly miss calls

  • Like 5
  • 0
Posted

 

I've plent of solo games, never a 15u solo (that's just crazy). I tell the coaches up front that I probably will miss pick-off attempts at 3rd and maybe 2nd if I'm blocked at all by the pitcher. Other than that, hustle to get into a decent angle and do the best you can. I tried going solo once many years ago from the behind the mound, never again, behind the plate is so much easier and better.

Why do so many guys address with the coaches that they are going solo? Just get out there and make the call you see. Dont tell them up front that you will possibly miss calls

 

Agreed.  Telling coaches up front that you will miss calls when working solo shouldn't be done at a plate meeting or anywhere else for that matter.  They know you are by yourself and they should know that you are hustling.  As far as being strict, remember to still be approachable and cordial, but no rope for chirping or trying to show you up.

  • Like 2
  • 0
Posted

I've plent of solo games, never a 15u solo (that's just crazy). I tell the coaches up front that I probably will miss pick-off attempts at 3rd and maybe 2nd if I'm blocked at all by the pitcher. Other than that, hustle to get into a decent angle and do the best you can. I tried going solo once many years ago from the behind the mound, never again, behind the plate is so much easier and better.

Its even crazier because at 17 i only do these games with a senior umpire now ill be without one entirely
  • 0
Posted

Late last year (after most of our local stuff was done for the season) I got a panicked call from a tournament director in a large city about 2-1/2 hours away.  They were in desperate need of umpires for that coming weekend...big tournament being played at several complexes around the city and suburbs.  They offered pay slightly above normal, plus pay for mileage and hotel.

 

I rounded up 3 other guys from our local ass'n and we took the deal.  Only after we got there were we told that they were using 1-man "crew".  I had 12u...90 degrees, hazy, humid, 7 games on Saturday without a break (8am, 10am, 12n, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm).  I'm in decent shape for my age (58), but this was WAY more than I had bargained for. 

 

Initially we were led to believe that we were having to work 1-man because they couldn't find enough umpires for all the fields.  We found out part way thru the day that ALL the umpires were from out of town, as the local association had refused to work 1-man. 

 

We all felt like scabs. 

 

Never again.

 

1-man is for t-ball and coach-pitch.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

Hi Grayhawk. Hope your day is good. I have always thought Southern California was very sophisticated and plays some of the best ball in America. As you say, working your ass off and providing good service may be hurting your chances of getting a second umpire. I applaud you for your hard work. I respect you for doing a good job even though you may prefer a partner. I do not think you or your peers are hayseeds. I assumed the problem was umpire numbers. My apology for making an assumption

I could not figure out why a valley with 12 million could not find enough umpires. Since it is a money issue I have a suggestion. Some of the posts mention umpires

  • 0
Posted

@FleasOf1000Camels - panzy!  ;)

 

Seriously, working that many games solo (which means you have the dish on all of them) would be torture and is unreasonable.  Maybe a strapping 20 something could handle that, but I know my body would rebel if I tried to put it through that.

  • 0
Posted

Sorry, pressed wrong place and sent message early. My suggestion is to put 2 umpires on the field and split the 1.5 umpire fee. If the 1.5 fee is what the league has in the budget for a game then that can not be changed immediately, but you can negotiate for next year. Show the coaches and board how well a 2 man crew can work together and hopefully they see the value and hire 2 man crews next year. It may suck to split a 1.5 game fee 2 ways but I like that idea better than 1 umpire on the diamond.

It sounds like a tough issue with no easy answer

In my area local Babe Ruth is a memory and the days of a 13 yr. old with little experience signing up for $50 and playing a 20 game season with a shot at an all star team are over. It's all travel ball and tournaments in the summer. In the spring we have 6th grade- 8th grade that play "middle school ball". These teams are connected to the high school. The players dress in high school colors and the high school coaches oversee the program. The high schools provide balls and umpires. We are getting small raises up here.

We are blessed to live in an area where umpires are highly valued. I had never heard of 1-man until I got on this site. If we do not have 2 umpires we do not have a game. The game would be postponed. It would be like trying to play a game without balls and bats and gloves. We need 2 umpires to start the game. I do not take pride in this and consider you a "hayseed", or inferior to our group. I am just stating facts. Just the opposite. I admire you for dealing with a less than perfect situation with hard work and pride.

All the best to you as you wrestle with this issue

×
×
  • Create New...