Question about plate positioning

TStokes97
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3633 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

As a general rule, no. You don't get as good a look at the entire plate, and you'll take a lot more balls in the face.

To learn to call the outside pitch, you need to use all available info, including the position of F2's mitt. You don't need to see the ball hit the edge of the plate in order to call the pitch correctly.

To practice, have a friend hold a ball over the outside corner (and again a couple inches outside, which you should still be getting as a strike) and in front of the plate, and have him move the ball back, as if to the mitt. Then move it wider, and wider again, until you get the hang of how to call it.

Or: just call them all strikes, until you have to start ejecting batters. Then you're probably wide enough. :)

T-shirt/Bumper Sticker material?

• Like 1

Tucker - I can tell you from experience that it simply take time to get better at calling from the slot.  It's sort of like learning the proper shooting technique in basketball.  It feels awkward at first, but once you get it down it does work.  I know this will shock most of the guys on the boards but I was obstinate initially about working the slot.  I swore that I could call a LH batters zone better sitting on the outside corner.  So for years I did it this way.  I was not umpiring a ton of games so I got the occasional constructive criticism but every time I tried calling LH batters from the slot I felt I was not getting that outside corner so I would revert back.  When I moved to STL a few years ago and started doing more higher level games I realized that bad mechanics were a sure fire way to not get assigned games.  So I switched to the slot.  It took some time, but now I feel very comfortable seeing the whole zone and feel good about my calls.  And being anywhere other than the slot actually feels awkward now.

The thing to consider regarding being better over the catcher now is that it is probably because that is where you are most comfortable.  The more you are in the slot the more comfortable you'll feel with that and the more accurate your calls will be.

In that graphic it shows one hand in front, I keep both behind me, is that ok?

As in behind your back? If so, then this is not recommended. It exposes tour elbows and you could suffer a painful shot or an injury.

It's better to put your hands under your hamstrings if you want to protect them. This exposes your forearms, but puts muscle in the path of an errant ball rather than bone.

As in behind your back? If so, then this is not recommended. It exposes tour elbows and you could suffer a painful shot or an injury.

It's better to put your hands under your hamstrings if you want to protect them. This exposes your forearms, but puts muscle in the path of an errant ball rather than bone.I should have been more specific by back i ment "behind me" my bad, I put them on the back if my thighs/knees

It's better to put your hands under your hamstrings if you want to protect them. This exposes your forearms, but puts muscle in the path of an errant ball rather than bone. I should have been more specific by back i ment "behind me" my bad, I put them on the back if my thighs/knees

Gotcha.  That's a good place for them.  You will find about as many opinions on what to do with your hands as there are umpires out there.

Dan Iassogna puts his hand on (or very close) to the catcher's back.  He's probably my favorite MLB umpire, but I would never do this.

Some guys swear by the Gerry Davis (hands on knees) stance.  I think this is an injury waiting to happen.

There seems to be a trend in MLB to let them hang in front of the junk.  No thanks.

Some use the traditional "forearm with loose fist in front of the stomach" approach.

Some use the scissors which necessitates putting them on the front knee.

I put my hands under my thighs/hamstrings and "lock in".  Works for me - some hate the look.

One thing is universal: Don't put them behind the back.  Exposes the elbows and looks very Smitty.

• Like 1

It's better to put your hands under your hamstrings if you want to protect them. This exposes your forearms, but puts muscle in the path of an errant ball rather than bone.I should have been more specific by back i ment "behind me" my bad, I put them on the back if my thighs/knees

Gotcha. That's a good place for them. You will find about as many opinions on what to do with your hands as there are umpires out there.

Dan Iassogna puts his hand on (or very close) to the catcher's back. He's probably my favorite MLB umpire, but I would never do this.

Some guys swear by the Gerry Davis (hands on knees) stance. I think this is an injury waiting to happen.

There seems to be a trend in MLB to let them hang in front of the junk. No thanks.

Some use the traditional "forearm with loose fist in front of the stomach" approach.

Some use the scissors which necessitates putting them on the front knee.

I put my hands under my thighs/hamstrings and "lock in". Works for me - some hate the look.

One thing is universal: Don't put them behind the back. Exposes the elbows and looks very Smitty.Ive started doing a Gerry Davis in the slot but my hands go on the underside of me knee or thighs

Follow up question, Ive started to do the Gerry Davis stance in the slot, Im pleasantly surprised that I get a very good a view if the outside of the plate, I was wondering if you think doing the "Tom Hallion" strike 3 call is too over the top or can I use that? For other strikes I just do the "hammer" and yell strike!! As loud as I can, link to Hallion's strike 3 call for those unfamiliar: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vpD7KfgfDYs

I was wondering if you think doing the "Tom Hallion" strike 3 call is too over the top or can I use that?

IMHO turning your back to the playing field is asking for trouble

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1vtpmm_north-carolina-throws-out-trea-turner-attempting-to-steal-home-acc-must-see-moment_sport

Hallion's K3 is too over-the-top for the level you work and your level of experience,  IMHO  AND the taking your eyes off of the field of play with a live ball is also not a good idea in two or three man.   Four man, maybe, but best to keep your eyes on the field of play.

I think it is great you are seeking advice at your young age.  You will go far in life if you keep doing that.

My .02.....

• Like 1

I was wondering if you think doing the "Tom Hallion" strike 3 call is too over the top or can I use that?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1vtpmm_north-carolina-throws-out-trea-turner-attempting-to-steal-home-acc-must-see-moment_sport

<- watches video presented by @Umpgreg... twice... -> Oh man, that's my own Backwards-K Punch Out right there, and my worst nightmare. Thankfully, I have not had that happen yet, and I have made a conscious effort to slow down the trigger on that punch out so I confirm that F2 has caught the third strike and that no-one's "coming down the line" from 3B.

@ - Tom Hallion is my favorite umpire, and I think his Backwards-K punch out is the most unique in the game. I think he pulls it off because of the arena in which he's performing – the Majors. Where you have professional ballplayers, and he always has three other umpires watching the action too. It's a bit over-the-top for college and high school, and definitely too over-the-top for youth baseball. And as pointed out, it turns your back on the field, which really puts a 2-man or 3-man crew at a disadvantage. Cue chaos.

@Majordave - Dammit! You typed faster than me!

To be honest, I think Hallion's K3 is over the top for any level I have ever worked, which is up to D3......I'd save that for the levels where players get paid to play....It makes me cringe when I pass the youth fields at my major complex and some umpire breaks his back doing a K3 in a U10 game......

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1vtpmm_north-carolina-throws-out-trea-turner-attempting-to-steal-home-acc-must-see-moment_sportYea your propably right there, I was thinking about just doing the leg lift and putting the fists where he does and eliminating the turn

Do you think it would be bad to just do the fists plus leg lift but no turn?

Find a style that fits your personality and your physical stature (and, somewhat, the expectations in the league). Don't try to copy some MLBer.Good point, I'd do what most guys here do(tear the phonebook) but it feels weird because Im left handed and because of that it feels unnatural to me
  • Like 1

I also recommend finding some way to "lock in." Whether it is a hand on your upper thigh (Thats what I do) or some other way. It helps with your head height, flinching and overall positioning. 

When you get to the 7th, 9th, 13th, 18th (remember they call me extra-innings-Workman in my association) innings it really helps.

I also recommend finding some way to "lock in." Whether it is a hand on your upper thigh (Thats what I do) or some other way. It helps with your head height, flinching and overall positioning.

When you get to the 7th, 9th, 13th, 18th (remember they call me extra-innings-Workman in my association) innings it really helps.

Its funny because the highest level I do goes 7 maximum and normally we never get that far,

Do you think it would be bad to just do the fists plus leg lift but no turn?

Find a style that fits your personality and your physical stature (and, somewhat, the expectations in the league). Don't try to copy some MLBer. Good point, I'd do what most guys here do(tear the phonebook) but it feels weird because Im left handed and because of that it feels unnatural to me

I'm left handed too so I know how feel.  I do my punch outs with the right hand pulling back and punching through with the left and it feels fine. 

I also do a leg sweep of the batter, I used to kick them in the head but that only works for 10u and lower.  I'm not as flexible as I used to be.