TStokes97

Question about vocab

Whats a "smitty" I see people on here posting it as an insult? Is there a slang/ abreviation dictionary for this site? Half of the lingo confuses me. HELP!!!! SOS!!!! (Lol)

Smitty is an untrained, unprofessional, illequipped umpire. Generally a Daddy fill in type, but many well paid umpires are quite smitty.

Also a brand of Umpire clothing.

• Like 1

I had never heard of it til this site either, but I took a "Smitty" to be a hodge-podge of many of the attributes we don't want as partners nor umpires.

See also: Redass

- Calls the letter of the law.....not the intent

- Grabs the poopy end of sticks (which kind of comes from my first point)

- A newer guy that hasn't done his homework on umpiring and doesn't know any better

Bumpersitcker:  You have the RIGHT to call it, but is it RIGHT to call it ?

These are just a few.....others will give you MANY more examples.

Wearing red ball bag=Smitty.

But, if the umpires in post 2 and post 4 were wearing Red Ball Bags (no way in heck that's happening), you would actually have 2 hell-of-an-umpire Smitty's.

I had never heard of it til this site either, but I took a "Smitty" to be a hodge-podge of many of the attributes we don't want as partners nor umpires.

See also: Redass

- Calls the letter of the law.....not the intent

- Grabs the poopy end of sticks (which kind of comes from my first point)

- A newer guy that hasn't done his homework on umpiring and doesn't know any better

Bumpersitcker:  You have the RIGHT to call it, but is it RIGHT to call it ?

These are just a few.....others will give you MANY more examples.

A Smitty certainly isn't necessarily a redass .... I don't see any correlation there at all.......

you're confusing an OOO, which, in most cases is also a redass.  (Over Officious Official)

You will know him when you see him. He wears a ball bag when he does the bases.
I did that! Although it was a double header and I had the plate in game 2 didn't wanna have to take belt off and let pants drop to put it on

Then hold your pants with one hand. Don't wear a ball bag on the bases. EVER.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You will know him when you see him. He wears a ball bag when he does the bases.

I did that! Although it was a double header and I had the plate in game 2 didn't wanna have to take belt off and let pants drop to put it on Then hold your pants with one hand. Don't wear a ball bag on the bases. EVER.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TapatalkI figured that out that same day, now I know

I took this from a post I made before......Ive posted this many times on here that I am perfectly qualified to state what is or what is not "smitty"...............because I was one......and you probably are one right now too......many, many  years ago I was the t-shirt and shorts, elmer fudd hat wearing (all league issued) never had a rule book or a training class........all I had to do to was answer a few rudimentary questions from the guy in charge and I was an "umpire".........a true smitty.....albeit a good intentioned and hard working smitty........

I think many of us started out that way if we admit it or not.......... my ignorance was bliss until I came face to face with the difference.............after seeing the difference, in my case, a few Georgia Legion umpires , they encouraged me to watch them, then they encouraged me to alter my dress, and my mechanics, and gave me rule books and an invite to a clinic...and an introduction to the assignor, then one day i wasnt a smitty any more.............

Then I realized who smitty really was.....it isnt the well intentioned hard working newbie...........it is the guys who gave me crap for wearing new heather gray PANTS rather than the blue coach shorts, or the guys who wouldnt follow the mechanics......or enforced wrong awards ...the go along to get along guys......the guys who know better, but choose to continue rather than change....those that perpetuate the myths and bad mechanics because its easier........I've seen guys turn INTO smittys.........they just stop caring or learning

I remember that first clinic, everyone in the association got the mimeograph invitation........(remember those?)...............and I remember who showed up......that clinic was the day I started to shed my "smitty" title......

NO, the name smitty is here to stay............but the choice to be a smitty is up to each of us......(and now you....)

• Like 1

Whats a "smitty" I see people on here posting it as an insult? Is there a slang/ abreviation dictionary for this site? Half of the lingo confuses me. HELP!!!! SOS!!!! (Lol)

If you have to ask YOU might be one!

I took this from a post I made before......Ive posted this many times on here that I am perfectly qualified to state what is or what is not "smitty"...............because I was one......and you probably are one right now too......many, many  years ago I was the t-shirt and shorts, elmer fudd hat wearing (all league issued) never had a rule book or a training class........all I had to do to was answer a few rudimentary questions from the guy in charge and I was an "umpire".........a true smitty.....albeit a good intentioned and hard working smitty........

I think many of us started out that way if we admit it or not.......... my ignorance was bliss until I came face to face with the difference.............after seeing the difference, in my case, a few Georgia Legion umpires , they encouraged me to watch them, then they encouraged me to alter my dress, and my mechanics, and gave me rule books and an invite to a clinic...and an introduction to the assignor, then one day i wasnt a smitty any more.............

Then I realized who smitty really was.....it isnt the well intentioned hard working newbie...........it is the guys who gave me crap for wearing new heather gray PANTS rather than the blue coach shorts, or the guys who wouldnt follow the mechanics......or enforced wrong awards ...the go along to get along guys......the guys who know better, but choose to continue rather than change....those that perpetuate the myths and bad mechanics because its easier........I've seen guys turn INTO smittys.........they just stop caring or learning

I remember that first clinic, everyone in the association got the mimeograph invitation........(remember those?)...............and I remember who showed up......that clinic was the day I started to shed my "smitty" title......

NO, the name smitty is here to stay............but the choice to be a smitty is up to each of us......(and now you....)

I was smittier than smitty when I first started. I wore actual cleats and a pair of grey walmart pants. Had my yankees cap on backwards.All the smittiest of smittiness. But I was given a rule book day 1 AND I READ IT. I had never heard of cleaning shoes, much less shining them. And I knew ZERO mechanics, save for the safe/out/strike mechanics. No positioning. No training. No clinic. Nada. I was so smitty I actuall thought I was good. Year 2 I went to a 2 day camp. And QUALIFIED FOR DISTRICT PLAYOFFS. Wow. There were guys out there even worse than me!!!!! And this was a paid league.

Several seasons in, I started to realize I really had no idea what I was doing. So I scrounged up some game fees and biught some REAL umpire manuals. Suddenly, I wasn't QUITE as smitty as I had been. But at least I KNEW I sucked. I just happened to suck less than those around me. :rollinglaugh:

Fortunately, I had a couple of damn good umpires take me under their wing. I wasn't youmg, just green. But they saw a hunger and thirst for education and knowledge and were willing to share with me.

Many seasons and thousands of games later, I still try not to suck. I just don't hafta try as hard as I used to :D

I guess I said all that to say this.....when the opportunity arises for you to help a fledgling, budding young umpire, jump on it. You never know what their future holds. Or what you might possibly learn from them.

• Like 4

"If you've ever turned around to talk to the fans behind the backstop with a live ball in play....   You might be a Smitty..."

"If you frequently signal the 'tip' mechanic as the pitch bounces off the backstop...  You might be a Smitty..."

Who's got more?

If you:

Wear plate shoes on the bases....yjmbas

Wear your hat backward on the stick....yjmbas

Think that F1 taking signs from bucket butt is a balk....yjmbas

Make F1 take off his non-scrip sunglasses...yjmbas

Think TOP is when F1 releases the ball...yjmbas

Come on UE and argue your point after it's been debunked by the majority...yjmbas

Use your old F2 gear to umpire in...yjmbas

Text between innings...yjmbas

Skimmed the rule book and think you "have" it...yjmbas

• Like 1

If you:

Wear plate shoes on the bases....yjmbas

Wear your hat backward on the stick....yjmbas

Think that F1 taking signs from bucket butt is a balk....yjmbas

Make F1 take off his non-scrip sunglasses...yjmbas

Think TOP is when F1 releases the ball...yjmbas

Come on UE and argue your point after it's been debunked by the majority...yjmbas

Use your old F2 gear to umpire in...yjmbas

Text between innings...yjmbas

Skimmed the rule book and think you "have" it...yjmbas

I kind of do the old gear thing, I use shinnies that I bought to use for both purposes primarly bought to umpire in though

• If you hold your indicator out and gawk at it after _every_ pitch like a tricoder from Star Trek... YJMBAS.

• If you wear ball bags while as a BU... YJMBAS.

• If you are not wearing a belt... YJMBAS.

• If you are not wearing a belt because your partner took it away from you for wearing ball bags as a BU... YADAS.

• If you are wearing white running shoes... YJMBAS.

• If you explain a Safe / Out call in the same bellowing voice as making the call, and as a run-on sentence (HE GOT TO THE BAG FIRST AND WAS ON THE BAG BEFORE THE TAG WAS APPLIED SAFE!!!)... YJMBAS.

• If you call time to scour-brush Home Plate after every batter... YJMBAS.

• If you call time to brush any base... YADAS.

• If you demonstratively explain the reasons for a balk call to the pitcher and/or to the coach during gameplay (of a game... scrimmage is different)... YJMBAS.

• Like 1

@MadMax

YADAS?  = You are dumb as SH*#?

Hadn't thought of that... In the spirit of @Jocko's abbreviation... YADAS = You Are Definitely A Smitty