Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4545 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Yes, but late. With the ball and runner on the outfield side of the fielder, the outfield side might have given him a better look.

 

As ever, do not imitate MLB mechanics. Get to the best spot you can and be set for your call.

  • Like 1
Posted

Yes, but late. With the ball and runner on the outfield side of the fielder, the outfield side might have given him a better look.

 

As ever, do not imitate MLB mechanics. Get to the best spot you can and be set for your call.

wait, I'm confused (I know, doesn't take much , LOL) ....

I asked if this is typical movement for U3, ...you said yes, but described something different

Posted

 

Yes, but late. With the ball and runner on the outfield side of the fielder, the outfield side might have given him a better look.

 

As ever, do not imitate MLB mechanics. Get to the best spot you can and be set for your call.

wait, I'm confused (I know, doesn't take much , LOL) ....

I asked if this is typical movement for U3, ...you said yes, but described something different

 

 

Are you assuming that there is only one typical movement, or that the typical movement puts you in the best position for every call?

Posted

 

 

Yes, but late. With the ball and runner on the outfield side of the fielder, the outfield side might have given him a better look.

 

As ever, do not imitate MLB mechanics. Get to the best spot you can and be set for your call.

wait, I'm confused (I know, doesn't take much , LOL) ....

I asked if this is typical movement for U3, ...you said yes, but described something different

 

 

Are you assuming that there is only one typical movement, or that the typical movement puts you in the best position for every call?

 

I'm not assuming anything maven, that's why I'm inquiring.

 

Davis' move .... (getting behind F5) made no sense to me .... again, ...I don't do / never have done 4 man, I don't know, I'm asking

Posted

As of the 128th Instant Replay Review of the 2014 MLB Regular Season.
Umpires are now 75/128 (.586 Affirmation Rate) in Instant Replay Reviews during the 2014 MLB season.

 

The video shows an out of shape umpire not getting into proper position and making his call on run (or waddle in his case) when as we all know you should be stopped/set. 

Posted

IMHO It looks like he might have gone past "the best angle". But the direction he moved in is what I would have done.

Posted

I'm not assuming anything maven, that's why I'm inquiring.

 

Davis' move .... (getting behind F5) made no sense to me .... again, ...I don't do / never have done 4 man, I don't know, I'm asking

OK, if the question is whether a rotation toward the infield side of 3B is a "typical movement," then the answer is yes. U3 will rotate there when the ball and runner are on the infield side of the fielder, as is often the case with a throw from RF. Might have been the (incorrect) expectation of U3 in this play.

 

U3 may also rotate the other direction, toward the outfield, to take the play when the throw and runner are on the outfield side of the fielder. That should have happened here.

 

So both rotations are "typical" movements, though one is better than the other for any given play. Looking through the fielder at the tag is seldom ideal. :)

 

If the question is whether rotation so that U3 looks up F5's butt at the play, then the answer is, no, that's not typical.

Posted

 

I'm not assuming anything maven, that's why I'm inquiring.

 

Davis' move .... (getting behind F5) made no sense to me .... again, ...I don't do / never have done 4 man, I don't know, I'm asking

OK, if the question is whether a rotation toward the infield side of 3B is a "typical movement," then the answer is yes. U3 will rotate there when the ball and runner are on the infield side of the fielder, as is often the case with a throw from RF. Might have been the (incorrect) expectation of U3 in this play.

 

U3 may also rotate the other direction, toward the outfield, to take the play when the throw and runner are on the outfield side of the fielder. That should have happened here.

 

So both rotations are "typical" movements, though one is better than the other for any given play. Looking through the fielder at the tag is seldom ideal. :)

 

If the question is whether rotation so that U3 looks up F5's butt at the play, then the answer is, no, that's not typical.

 

thanks ...that's better .....I see what you're saying .....

 

No, the question wasn't about looking up F5's rear, ... I knew/ assumed his intent wasn't "that" particular view :wave:

×
×
  • Create New...