Postgame Handshake: More trouble than it's worth?

mjr_2013
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3716 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I agree; my umpires will be instructed as such.

From a league standpoint, however, what is your opinion on this? Necessary? Acceptable? They're asking me and it's making me think.

Everybody wants to give the umpires their dirty laundry. Game over, I'm in the parking lot, locker room, whatever.

You wait for the game to end? Hmmm...

I like the concept behind the post-game handshake, it's sportsmanship. 

I think it is crazy to think that we have to discuss not doing it because the concept of sportsmanship is now lost. This is a reflection on the coaches and parents. If the players coaches and parents cant keep their emotions in check then they do not deserve the privilege of playing.

I was about 10 or 11 and when going through the handshake line I thought it would be funny to knock the cap off the head of a very good friend of mine who was on the other team. All the kids on both teams thought it was funny, not my dad and I never tried anything like that again.

• Like 1

Our area also has handshakes after almost all sporting events, and I like it. I suppose the umpires should be able to waive it, but it seems odd for umpires to dictate something that we're not going to stick around for. On the one hand we're saying we have nothing to do with it, but on the other we have some level of control over whether it happens.

Interestingly, baseball seems to be the only sport where the officials leave before the handshake around here.

go to a high school football game and watch the refs SPRINT off as a group after the game.

Go to my games and you will see us sprint off the field immediately.

I pre-game with partner - DO NOT STAY AND SHAKE HANDS!!!

I had a partner that refused to leave right after the game ended. His "tradition" was to stand there and partake in a ceremony with handshakes with all the players and coaches. He even praised both teams verbally..."nice game guys! great effort boys!"  I followed the umpire association's guidelines and was walking away while he grandstanded. You can't let other fools compromise your values. 

NCAA basketball has a post game handshake.

Every college hockey game I ever saw (and I went to every home game at my D1-Hockey college plus some away games) live or on TV had a post game handshake.

All LL games have a post-game handshake.

In our area all HS football games have a post-game handshake.  Players in one line, cheerleaders in another for that matter.

In pro and college football they don't have a handshake line but the players do a mill-around handshake.

I really can't comprehend why so many of you think it's a fight waiting to happen.

• Like 1

NCAA basketball has a post game handshake.

Every college hockey game I ever saw (and I went to every home game at my D1-Hockey college plus some away games) live or on TV had a post game handshake.

All LL games have a post-game handshake.

In our area all HS football games have a post-game handshake.  Players in one line, cheerleaders in another for that matter.

In pro and college football they don't have a handshake line but the players do a mill-around handshake.

I really can't comprehend why so many of you think it's a fight waiting to happen.

No one said that at all Rich.

Let it happen .... that's fine, but ....it's not a part of officiating the game, so it shouldn't be under any jurisdiction of the umpire.  That's the point (I beleive) that's trying to be made

• Like 2

I agree; my umpires will be instructed as such.

From a league standpoint, however, what is your opinion on this? Necessary? Acceptable? They're asking me and it's making me think.

Matt,

Let's fine tune this, and answer your question.  In your OP you mentioned that your league is considering an opportunity to stop the hand-shake if tensions are high.  The consensus here (if I read everything correctly) is "this isn't something an umpire should be involved in" ....

That said;  Let them do what they typically do, .... it's not up to us, thus we shoulnd't be involved in the process or the decision making

I should pre-game this. A recent HS game my partner (BU) gets lots of "attention" from both coaches...20 run/2:30+ game, I can't wait to hit the gate after the game, but I have to wait for my partner, who is smiling with the coaches, shaking hands, like nothing happened.

I should pre-game this. A recent HS game my partner (BU) gets lots of "attention" from both coaches...20 run/2:30+ game, I can't wait to hit the gate after the game, but I have to wait for my partner, who is smiling with the coaches, shaking hands, like nothing happened.

Sad! :shakehead:  :shakehead:  :shakehead:

Leave him there to have his fun and meet him in the parking lot.

I had a summer league where the they wanted umpires to supervise the handshakes AND sign each scorebook to make the game official AND then wait around until the home coach paid us................that lasted one season......now its paid before plate meeting, and after final out its roll the game balls to the home team dugout and and adios!

Now, that was a 13-14 yr old league......all other leagues, we teach and expect and contract that after the last out, the BU hustles in to catch up/meet HPU, who returns the gamers, and then out the nearest gate "together"........

Edited by Stan W.
clarity

I think I'm going to tell them that if they want to implement that, it's fine, but I don't want my umpires to be involved... Their jurisdiction will end upon the last out (barring an appeal of course), and if a board member on site wants to say no post-game events, that's within their power... Just don't drag my guys into it.

One thing I'm changing from last year is the signing of the scorebooks... Last year, both umpires had to sign the books after the game... This year (my first year as UIC), I'm telling coaches to expect two umpires. If you only get one, contact me and I'll sort out who was there. The umpires should be leaving after the game.

If I don't hear different, I have my master schedule that I will forward to the Treasurer weekly with me assuming all games occurred as planned. He will then print, sign, and mail the checks.

Everybody wants to give the umpires their dirty laundry. Game over, I'm in the parking lot, locker room, whatever.

You wait for the game to end? Hmmm...

Matt, I'm pretty sure you confuse people with your invisible smileys...

One thing I'm changing from last year is the signing of the scorebooks... Last year, both umpires had to sign the books after the game... This year (my first year as UIC), I'm telling coaches to expect two umpires. If you only get one, contact me and I'll sort out who was there. The umpires should be leaving after the game.

If they want to know who was there, you could have the umpires sign the book before the game, as we do in basketball. That's not a certification of a final score, but why would you want umpires certifying the score anyway?

• Like 1

If they want to know who was there, you could have the umpires sign the book before the game, as we do in basketball. That's not a certification of a final score, but why would you want umpires certifying the score anyway?

Or have a master sign in at a central location picked up by the board member each night. If someone signs and leaves, the coaches/board member should let you know that so you can adjust payslips accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our area also has handshakes after almost all sporting events, and I like it. I suppose the umpires should be able to waive it, but it seems odd for umpires to dictate something that we're not going to stick around for. On the one hand we're saying we have nothing to do with it, but on the other we have some level of control over whether it happens.

Interestingly, baseball seems to be the only sport where the officials leave before the handshake around here.

go to a high school football game and watch the refs SPRINT off as a group after the game.

I had a partner that refused to leave right after the game ended. His "tradition" was to stand there and partake in a ceremony with handshakes with all the players and coaches. He even praised both teams verbally..."nice game guys! great effort boys!"  I followed the umpire association's guidelines and was walking away while he grandstanded. You can't let other fools compromise your values. 

One of my former associations mandates that the Umpires walk through the handshake line with the players/coaches. :no:

Needless to say, that's only one reason why it's a "Former" association.

• Like 1

One of my former associations mandates that the Umpires walk through the handshake line with the players/coaches. :no:

Needless to say, that's only one reason why it's a "Former" association.

In a perfect society maybe. But HELL NO!!!!