Advice For A New Mask/Helmet

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3594 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey guys, so I am currently looking at purchasing a new mask/helmet since my old one is getting old. I previously used my old catchers' mask from when I used to play baseball so I am used to having a hockey style helmet. My fellow umpires that I work with have been suggesting I look into getting the Diamond ix3 mask and I have heard good things about them. I have also been looking at the Diamond DCH-EDGE Umpire Helmet and I am wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with it or heard anything about its performance. Any info on either of the two masks would be great!

Diamond iX3 is a favorite of the crowd here.  I have owned this mask and the first thing you should do is replace the pads so factor that into the cost.  Another good choice would be an All-Star FM25.

Can't help much with a helmet recommendation, but the All Star MVP series is highly spoken of.

What is your budget?  You can spend $30 to $300+, there are tons of choices.

My advice is to buy good gear the first time.  You may pay a little more up front, but you will save money in the long run.

Yea I can spend around $60 to about $120ish. And I always make sure I buy the best for the long run, that's why I come here to ask about masks!

Buy that mask from Mike Prince. I have the plus pos mask and really like it.

In that range I would consider the following:

+POS ZRO-G

Diamond iX3

All-Star FM25

Champro Pro-Plus Magnesium

Honigs Lightweight Steel with TW pads

The Champro is really light (so are the others, the FM25 less so).  On the iX3 you will need to replace the pads, the others have decent pads out of the box.  Team Wendy pads are great, but they add $40.  If I was buying new and wanted the TW pads Honigs will sell you the mask and those pads as a package.  You could piece together the diamond rig (black) with TW's for about $95.

I will add a shameless plug that I have the ZRO-G with TW's listed for sale at $75.  If you are interested in that let me knwo.

I would think @Mike Prince mask for sale would be perfect for you. Can't beat the pads and a sharp looking frame. I prefer the look of the +POS to the Honig's and FM25 frame. Also the Champo-Mag would cost more because you would want to go with TW pads as well.

I have bought and sold with @Mike Prince in the past with no issues.

Jax-

Tell me about your 4000...will be in the market for a new Mask to replace my Champro Mag....

Love the mask with TW pads. Lightweight. Taken several shots. No dents. Its my primary with my Champro Mag secondary!

I agree with Rolo, I bought mine last year and I love it! Light weight and strong. I have kept the ALl Star stock LUC pads in mine, and have taken two shots from MS guys. If you like it, go to between the Lines officals gear, they have a good price on it, or homerun monkey, they are having an internet only 15% off everything sale right now.