Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4613 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Anyone surprised by any of the answers on the NCAA test now that we can see all the correct?

 

There were a couple that I misread...even going over it several times. A couple of surprises as well.

 

Give us what you got.

Posted

I think there were a lot of 3rd world questions.  There were also some extremely poorly written/worded questions.  And there were some where you had to assume things that were pretty vague.

 

The idea has always been to get umpires in the book and talking rules before the season starts.  It seems they are moving more towards playing stump the ump.

 

I only missed 2 so no sour grapes on my end.

  • Like 1
Posted

There were a couple where I didn't make the right assumptions and I got those wrong.

Others where dumb mistakes by me because I didn't take my time on the question.

I passed, that's all I care about.

  • Like 2
Posted

When I review these I always have a chuckle at the mistakes I make. Such as, "You idiot. How could you miss that one?".  Especially the one where the pitcher has his feet in the wrong place while in the windup. Too obvious. Ha

Posted

It's funny -- I had already submitted mine and knew I got one wrong (98).  And I knew which one I got wrong, but didn't see it as worthwhile to resubmit just to say I scored 100.

 

Then I sat down with a fellow umpire who hadn't submitted his exam and walked through his questions.  At least 3-4 of his questions were of the "Glad I didn't get that one" variety.  Worked through that one -- he scored 97 (2 wrong).

 

Between my 3 sports, I take 8 exams online in a calendar year.  None of them are good exams, IMO.

Posted

As a person who routinely writes exams I will say that the task is more difficult than it might seem. 

 

Each year there are questions that are poor.  We all know that the author's aren't intentionally writing bad questions.  Some questions probably come from mistakes that we make in our games, the obvious rule changes/interpretations, then review questions.

 

I am still working through the style of the NCAA test.  My challenge right now is reading between the lines.  

Posted

When I review these I always have a chuckle at the mistakes I make. Such as, "You idiot. How could you miss that one?".  Especially the one where the pitcher has his feet in the wrong place while in the windup. Too obvious. Ha

It's not that obvious on the west coast apparently which is probably why it was a test video. I think that pitcher pitched that way in the CWS as well as Nick Vander-Tuig. We discussed this here: http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/54057-game-2-cws-legal-windup/

Anyway, if a pitcher was allowed to pitch that way all season I wouldn't expect to have to call him on it in the tournament. But I guess NCAA wants to re-enforce that they shouldn't be doing that.

  • Like 2
Posted
I like questions like this:
 
 
The defensive team is using a nine-player lineup. The defensive team does not list a P/DH on their lineup. During a mound conference, the head coach wants S1 to replace F1 and S2 to replace F9 but have them swap positions in the batting order.

a. The head coach must inform the plate umpire before leaving the field.
b. The head coach must inform the plate umpire before signaling for S2.
c. The head coach may not make such a substitution.
d. The head coach must inform the umpire of his intention before crossing the foul line on the way to the mound.
Explanation
5-5b, AR; 5-5e 

You know, the ones where the rule cites used as justification say no such thing (the NCAA answer is A, but all the rule says is "immediately", and B and D are both more immediate than A)

Posted

 

When I review these I always have a chuckle at the mistakes I make. Such as, "You idiot. How could you miss that one?".  Especially the one where the pitcher has his feet in the wrong place while in the windup. Too obvious. Ha

It's not that obvious on the west coast apparently which is probably why it was a test video. I think that pitcher pitched that way in the CWS as well as Nick Vander-Tuig. We discussed this here: http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/54057-game-2-cws-legal-windup/

Anyway, if a pitcher was allowed to pitch that way all season I wouldn't expect to have to call him on it in the tournament. But I guess NCAA wants to re-enforce that they shouldn't be doing that.

 

I mean that it was so obvious that I didn't see it.

Posted

I like questions like this:

 

 

The defensive team is using a nine-player lineup. The defensive team does not list a P/DH on their lineup. During a mound conference, the head coach wants S1 to replace F1 and S2 to replace F9 but have them swap positions in the batting order.

a. The head coach must inform the plate umpire before leaving the field.

b. The head coach must inform the plate umpire before signaling for S2.

c. The head coach may not make such a substitution.

d. The head coach must inform the umpire of his intention before crossing the foul line on the way to the mound.

Explanation

5-5b, AR; 5-5e 

You know, the ones where the rule cites used as justification say no such thing (the NCAA answer is A, but all the rule says is "immediately", and B and D are both more immediate than A)

Yup. Can't even get their own question right.

Posted

Anyone surprised by any of the answers on the NCAA test now that we can see all the correct?

 

There were a couple that I misread...even going over it several times. A couple of surprises as well.

 

Give us what you got.

Well, the three NCAA questions that I posted on/replied to here were indeed the three questions I missed: That video with the dropped ball back onto to the field - home run vs live ball in play; the "Last Time By" - gross miss of a base disregarded by NCAA; and the "double switch" substitution involving F1 and F9 (poor reading on my part). All three questions were discussed in length on this board. Perhaps I should have waited before turning in my test (maybe I could have gotten at least one right from the discussion that ensued on this board).

 

And, of course, there was a "sloppy answer" I gave to one of the questions without paying attention to my worksheet where I had it correct  (the no-penalty 20 second rule with runners on base). That's a total of 4 wrong. However, for all intents and purposes, this forum is a great place for analyzing/discussing questions on open book tests. Thanks for all those who posted. I enjoyed reading them...

Posted

The one I missed twice was the one where S1 comes in for F5. F1, who is being DHed for goes to play third and S1 comes to the mound.

I would have to re look at the correct answer, but I took it as the old F1 would bat in the old F5's spot and the new F5 would bat in the P/DH slot.

I have read that answer a couple times over, and it STILL sounds wrong to me.

Posted

It's almost word for word from the rule book and just one of the things you need to memorize about the DH rule.

Did the question state what the coach wanted to do?

(b) The pitcher being placed at a defensive position must bat in place of the defensive player removed, unless more than one substitution is made. The coach must designate their positions in the batting order at that time (see 5-5-e and 5-5-e A.R.).

Posted

 

It's almost word for word from the rule book and just one of the things you need to memorize about the DH rule.

Did the question state what the coach wanted to do?

(b) The pitcher being placed at a defensive position must bat in place of the defensive player removed, unless more than one substitution is made. The coach must designate their positions in the batting order at that time (see 5-5-e and 5-5-e A.R.).

 

It doesn't matter what the coach wants to do because he doesn't get a choice here.  Bringing in the new pitcher is only ONE defensive substitute.

 

So, (b) says where the current pitcher bats and then:

 

© If only one substitution is made, the NEW pitcher MUST bat in the previous spot of the DH

 

That answers the question on the test.

I will have to look this up. So F1 is not locked into that particular lineup spot?

F1 is not batting in this question, so he's not in any particular lineup spot.

Posted

So it isnt like in OBR and FED where the DH and F1/whoever is being hit for are locked into that slot in the batting order? In NCAA the old F1 that is being DHed for can move to a different spot in the line up when he goes in to play F5? I want to clarify this so that if it comes up I dont have a problem if this ever comes up.

Posted

If the pitcher, who's being DH'd for, moves from the mound to replace the 3rd baseman, the pitcher will take that spot in the order.

Posted

So it isnt like in OBR and FED where the DH and F1/whoever is being hit for are locked into that slot in the batting order? In NCAA the old F1 that is being DHed for can move to a different spot in the line up when he goes in to play F5? I want to clarify this so that if it comes up I dont have a problem if this ever comes up.

In FED they are locked into the batting order.  You can never have both players on defense.

 

In OBR (and NCAA), they are not.  You could have both players on defense (with the loss fo the DH, of course)

×
×
  • Create New...