Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4675 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I found a Wilson Shock FX 2.0 here: http://www.sportsfacilitiesgroup.com/store/p/1917/shock-fx-20-umpires-helmet at an awesome price, and I would like another one because my current one took more of a beating than it should have, but I calculated the shipping and it came up as 58.40. I am not pleased to say the least. I was informed that shipping rates were higher outside of the continental US, and last time I checked, Alaska was still firmly attached to the continent. Has anybody ordered from this site? Is it worth it? (FYI, my current helmet has worked ten games and an inning and it has a huge gouge down on side, another down the back, a slightly bent cage, and a cracked piece towards the back near the ear. The paint job is totally scratched up on top and on back.)

Posted

I think the paint job is the least of your issues.

Considering the designs on the back, no. It's really the huge, deep scratches and the part that was cracked on the side. My warranty was voided, so I have to get a new one.

Posted

I think the paint job is the least of your issues.

Considering the designs on the back, no. It's really the huge, deep scratches and the part that was cracked on the side. My warranty was voided, so I have to get a new one.

how did you void the warranty after only 10 games?

Posted

I think the paint job is the least of your issues.

Considering the designs on the back, no. It's really the huge, deep scratches and the part that was cracked on the side. My warranty was voided, so I have to get a new one. how did you void the warranty after only 10 games? Because physical assault counts as misuse.
Posted

How does your ten game helmet have that much damage??

And please don't say it's from that coach incident, because I don't want to know if it is.

Well, the scratches all over it are just from being a little unaware of how I take care of my gear, the scrape on the back was a players cleats and yes, the scrape on the side is from the Coach Mahly incident. The dent was from me (stupidly) following a pop foul and it landed on my mask. (And shook me up bad.)
Posted

 

How does your ten game helmet have that much damage??

And please don't say it's from that coach incident, because I don't want to know if it is.

Well, the scratches all over it are just from being a little unaware of how I take care of my gear, the scrape on the back was a players cleats and yes, the scrape on the side is from the Coach Mahly incident. The dent was from me (stupidly) following a pop foul and it landed on my mask. (And shook me up bad.)

 

Lots of coaches out there need your kind of disciplining. 

Maybe you'd get better pricing if you buy HSMs in bulk. 

  • Like 1
Posted

When most places refer to the "Continental  US" they mean the lower 48. For some reason it seems pretty common to charge more for AK, HI, PR, USVI, Guam and other areas.

Posted

How does your ten game helmet have that much damage??

And please don't say it's from that coach incident, because I don't want to know if it is.

Well, the scratches all over it are just from being a little unaware of how I take care of my gear, the scrape on the back was a players cleats and yes, the scrape on the side is from the Coach Mahly incident. The dent was from me (stupidly) following a pop foul and it landed on my mask. (And shook me up bad.)

Lots of coaches out there need your kind of disciplining.

Maybe you'd get better pricing if you buy HSMs in bulk. Yeah, I'll just pop over to Costco later and see what they have.

Posted

When most places refer to the "Continental US" they mean the lower 48. For some reason it seems pretty common to charge more for AK, HI, PR, USVI, Guam and other areas.

I know what it means, it just...yeah. If you want to get super technical, there aren't 48 lower states, four of them are commonwealths. The worst part is, while it may be little bit more shipping, it is not sixty dollars of shipping. More like twenty, twenty five at the most.

Posted

 

How does your ten game helmet have that much damage??

And please don't say it's from that coach incident, because I don't want to know if it is.

Well, the scratches all over it are just from being a little unaware of how I take care of my gear, the scrape on the back was a players cleats and yes, the scrape on the side is from the Coach Mahly incident. The dent was from me (stupidly) following a pop foul and it landed on my mask. (And shook me up bad.)

 

Your mask should ALWAYS be in your hand..... Never on the ground where a player can step on it.

  • Like 1
Posted

How does your ten game helmet have that much damage??

And please don't say it's from that coach incident, because I don't want to know if it is.

Well, the scratches all over it are just from being a little unaware of how I take care of my gear, the scrape on the back was a players cleats and yes, the scrape on the side is from the Coach Mahly incident. The dent was from me (stupidly) following a pop foul and it landed on my mask. (And shook me up bad.)

Your mask should ALWAYS be in your hand..... Never on the ground where a player can step on it.

I was flat on the ground too, so I don't think it would have made a difference.

Posted

 

 

 

How does your ten game helmet have that much damage??

And please don't say it's from that coach incident, because I don't want to know if it is.

Well, the scratches all over it are just from being a little unaware of how I take care of my gear, the scrape on the back was a players cleats and yes, the scrape on the side is from the Coach Mahly incident. The dent was from me (stupidly) following a pop foul and it landed on my mask. (And shook me up bad.) Your mask should ALWAYS be in your hand..... Never on the ground where a player can step on it.

I was flat on the ground too, so I don't think it would have made a difference.

 

 

:WTF

  • Like 1
Posted

How does your ten game helmet have that much damage??

And please don't say it's from that coach incident, because I don't want to know if it is.

Well, the scratches all over it are just from being a little unaware of how I take care of my gear, the scrape on the back was a players cleats and yes, the scrape on the side is from the Coach Mahly incident. The dent was from me (stupidly) following a pop foul and it landed on my mask. (And shook me up bad.)Your mask should ALWAYS be in your hand..... Never on the ground where a player can step on it.

I was flat on the ground too, so I don't think it would have made a difference.

:WTF

Said player ran into me, knocked me down and stepped all over me and my gear as he went down. Nobody was seriously hurt.

Posted

Maybe try something other than a shock if it's been that prone to damage. The All-Star System & MVP series is great and very durable. If you can stand to get away from the HSM maybe try a traditional mask. You will save money on the mask, the shipping and you will look better.

Posted

How does your ten game helmet have that much damage??

And please don't say it's from that coach incident, because I don't want to know if it is.

Well, the scratches all over it are just from being a little unaware of how I take care of my gear, the scrape on the back was a players cleats and yes, the scrape on the side is from the Coach Mahly incident. The dent was from me (stupidly) following a pop foul and it landed on my mask. (And shook me up bad.)Your mask should ALWAYS be in your hand..... Never on the ground where a player can step on it.

I was flat on the ground too, so I don't think it would have made a difference.

:WTF

Said player ran into me, knocked me down and stepped all over me and my gear as he went down. Nobody was seriously hurt.  

This is why I feared we shouldn't have asked…….

right?!?

  • Like 1
Posted

maybe instead of buying another HSM to assault a coach with you should invest the money into anger management classes

  • Like 1
Posted

maybe instead of buying another HSM to assault a coach with you should invest the money into anger management classes

I was forced into those since the time I was in first grade until sixth, jerk. Obviously they didn't work and that is because I am simply a temperamental person. You jab me, I jab back. You insult choices I can not control and spit on me, I will probably attack you.

Posted

Maybe try something other than a shock if it's been that prone to damage. The All-Star System & MVP series is great and very durable. If you can stand to get away from the HSM maybe try a traditional mask. You will save money on the mask, the shipping and you will look better.

Masks make me ill, uncomfortable, unable to relax, and anxious about wild pitches. I think I'll look into those other helmets.

Posted

 

Maybe try something other than a shock if it's been that prone to damage. The All-Star System & MVP series is great and very durable. If you can stand to get away from the HSM maybe try a traditional mask. You will save money on the mask, the shipping and you will look better.

Masks make me ill, uncomfortable, unable to relax, and anxious about wild pitches. I think I'll look into those other helmets.

 

 

If you use proper mechanics, don't flinch or turn your head and keep square, a traditional mask protects just as well, if not better (IMO) than a HSM.  If you are prone to reacting to a pitch coming at you, a helmet is probably a good idea.

  • Like 1
Posted

Maybe try something other than a shock if it's been that prone to damage. The All-Star System & MVP series is great and very durable. If you can stand to get away from the HSM maybe try a traditional mask. You will save money on the mask, the shipping and you will look better.

Masks make me ill, uncomfortable, unable to relax, and anxious about wild pitches. I think I'll look into those other helmets.

If you use proper mechanics, don't flinch or turn your head and keep square, a traditional mask protects just as well, if not better (IMO) than a HSM. If you are prone to reacting to a pitch coming at you, a helmet is probably a good idea. I actually will probably not never flinch, at least a little, when a pitch is headed straight for me. When I was in LL, I took a rather fast pitch to the upper leg and couldn't walk for days. I've also been hit in the mask the year I played softball and hit several time in the stomach and thighs playing catcher.

Posted

 

 

 

Maybe try something other than a shock if it's been that prone to damage. The All-Star System & MVP series is great and very durable. If you can stand to get away from the HSM maybe try a traditional mask. You will save money on the mask, the shipping and you will look better.

Masks make me ill, uncomfortable, unable to relax, and anxious about wild pitches. I think I'll look into those other helmets.

If you use proper mechanics, don't flinch or turn your head and keep square, a traditional mask protects just as well, if not better (IMO) than a HSM. If you are prone to reacting to a pitch coming at you, a helmet is probably a good idea.

I actually will probably not never flinch, at least a little, when a pitch is headed straight for me. Hen I was in LL, I took a rather fast pitch to the upper leg and could walk for days. I've also been hit in the mask the year I played softball and hit several time in the stomach and thighs playing catcher.

 

 

Not saying it's easy, but it's part of the job.  If you don't train yourself to get over your fear and stay locked in, it's unlikely that you can be a good ball/strike umpire.

  • Like 1
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4675 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...