Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4693 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

BIG shout out to @Kevin Finnerty for inviting me to work a UCLA Blue/Gold scrimmage with him last night at Jackie Robinson Stadium! Had a blast working 3 man and being on the field with D1 talent. The two of us were on the bases and switched positions halfway through.

I was surprised that the speed of the game didn't phase me at all - probably because of the split base responsibilities in 3 man. Now I just have to convince Kevin to find an opportunity for me to work a plate!

One interesting situation that PU had to deal with: with R1 stealing and a 2 strike count, the batter foul tips, and commits backswing interference knocking the ball from F2's glove. It happened very fast, but the result was batter out on strikes, and R1 returns.

Had a steal for an out at second from C, a diving catch by F9 that I went out on, a snap throw pick-off right at my head (F3 snagged it while Kevin was laughing at me), a couple of DPs, a half-swing appeal, and several plays at first. All in all, an action-packed evening.

Thanks again Kevin! And no, I won't be sending my resume to anyone for college ball just yet. ;)

  • Like 6
Posted

Ha, but congrats nonetheless! Do you guys do any 3-man in your high school association? We took a small paycut to work 3 at the higher HS leagues. Has been very beneficial.

Posted

Ha, but congrats nonetheless! Do you guys do any 3-man in your high school association? We took a small paycut to work 3 at the higher HS leagues. Has been very beneficial.

There's one league that pays for 3 man in the regular season in Orange County. You have to have a high rating to work those games and the most any umpire will get is probably 2-3 in a season. Playoffs are 3 man until the semi-finals which are 4 man.

Posted

BIG shout out to @Kevin Finnerty for inviting me to work a UCLA Blue/Gold scrimmage with him last night at Jackie Robinson Stadium! Had a blast working 3 man and being on the field with D1 talent. The two of us were on the bases and switched positions halfway through.

I was surprised that the speed of the game didn't phase me at all - probably because of the split base responsibilities in 3 man. Now I just have to convince Kevin to find an opportunity for me to work a plate!

One interesting situation that PU had to deal with: with R1 stealing and a 2 strike count, the batter foul tips, and commits backswing interference knocking the ball from F2's glove. It happened very fast, but the result was batter out on strikes, and R1 returns.

Had a steal for an out at second from C, a diving catch by F9 that I went out on, a snap throw pick-off right at my head (F3 snagged it while Kevin was laughing at me), a couple of DPs, a half-swing appeal, and several plays at first. All in all, an action-packed evening.

Thanks again Kevin! And no, I won't be sending my resume to anyone for college ball just yet. ;)

"Had a steal for an out at second from C"

Was it a lefty batter?

Posted
BIG shout out to @Kevin Finnerty for inviting me to work a UCLA Blue/Gold scrimmage with him last night at Jackie Robinson Stadium! Had a blast working 3 man and being on the field with D1 talent. The two of us were on the bases and switched positions halfway through. I was surprised that the speed of the game didn't phase me at all - probably because of the split base responsibilities in 3 man. Now I just have to convince Kevin to find an opportunity for me to work a plate! One interesting situation that PU had to deal with: with R1 stealing and a 2 strike count, the batter foul tips, and commits backswing interference knocking the ball from F2's glove. It happened very fast, but the result was batter out on strikes, and R1 returns. Had a steal for an out at second from C, a diving catch by F9 that I went out on, a snap throw pick-off right at my head (F3 snagged it while Kevin was laughing at me), a couple of DPs, a half-swing appeal, and several plays at first. All in all, an action-packed evening. Thanks again Kevin! And no, I won't be sending my resume to anyone for college ball just yet. ;)
"Had a steal for an out at second from C" Was it a lefty batter? Yup. Had to be there for possible half-swing appeal. I was actually in deep C. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted

A few pics (taken from the week prior when I went to observe):

 

post-1498-0-60348400-1384976139_thumb.jppost-1498-0-62102600-1384976142_thumb.jppost-1498-0-50179400-1384976138_thumb.jppost-1498-0-57280900-1384976140_thumb.jppost-1498-0-56030000-1384976141_thumb.jp

 

The last three are of the umpire's locker room.  A bit of an upgrade from the trunk of my car!

  • Like 1
Posted

can't help but feel like a pro when you get to use a locker room, especially if they give you water/gatorade before and/or afterwards.

Posted

Kevin is still around? Man thought he fell off the face of the earth. LOL

I remember getting a couple Blue-Gold games through Dan Ignossi when I lived down there. Had a lot of fun. Also, the shocker for me was trying to learn how to rub up baseballs on the fly. It was quite the adventure for a bit.

Posted

Kevin is still around? Man thought he fell off the face of the earth. LOL

I remember getting a couple Blue-Gold games through Dan Ignossi when I lived down there. Had a lot of fun. Also, the shocker for me was trying to learn how to rub up baseballs on the fly. It was quite the adventure for a bit.

Kevin is still around and lurks almost every day but just doesn't chime in anymore ....but he's around .....

 

I wish he'd chime in more .... he's one passionate dude who has a TON of insight!

  • Like 1
Posted

Kevin is still around? Man thought he fell off the face of the earth. LOL

I remember getting a couple Blue-Gold games through Dan Ignossi when I lived down there. Had a lot of fun. Also, the shocker for me was trying to learn how to rub up baseballs on the fly. It was quite the adventure for a bit.

Kevin is still around and lurks almost every day but just doesn't chime in anymore ....but he's around .....

 

I wish he'd chime in more .... he's one passionate dude who has a TON of insight!

agreed... and the world wants to know any additions he has made to his bucket.

Posted

BIG shout out to @Kevin Finnerty for inviting me to work a UCLA Blue/Gold scrimmage with him last night at Jackie Robinson Stadium! Had a blast working 3 man and being on the field with D1 talent. The two of us were on the bases and switched positions halfway through.

I was surprised that the speed of the game didn't phase me at all - probably because of the split base responsibilities in 3 man. Now I just have to convince Kevin to find an opportunity for me to work a plate!

One interesting situation that PU had to deal with: with R1 stealing and a 2 strike count, the batter foul tips, and commits backswing interference knocking the ball from F2's glove. It happened very fast, but the result was batter out on strikes, and R1 returns.

Had a steal for an out at second from C, a diving catch by F9 that I went out on, a snap throw pick-off right at my head (F3 snagged it while Kevin was laughing at me), a couple of DPs, a half-swing appeal, and several plays at first. All in all, an action-packed evening.

Thanks again Kevin! And no, I won't be sending my resume to anyone for college ball just yet. ;)

"Had a steal for an out at second from C"

Was it a lefty batter?

Yup. Had to be there for possible half-swing appeal. I was actually in deep C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got the 2014 CCA. You now have a choice of deep B or C with R1 only no matter if the batter is a lefty or righty. I think most of us go with deep B.

Posted

You have had that choice for a couple years now. I prefer deep B as well.

Last year you had to be in B for a righty and C for a lefty.

Man, I need to go back through my CCA manual from last year or the year before.

Posted

A few pics (taken from the week prior when I went to observe):

 

attachicon.gifimage2.jpegattachicon.gifphoto.JPGattachicon.gifimage1.jpegattachicon.gifimage3.jpegattachicon.gifimage4.jpeg

 

The last three are of the umpire's locker room.  A bit of an upgrade from the trunk of my car!

I kind of expected a little more out of UCLA. 

 

With the push to go to 4-man at the D-I level a lot of schools are going to have to enlarge their dressing room facilities.

  • Like 1
Posted

 

A few pics (taken from the week prior when I went to observe):

 

attachicon.gifimage2.jpegattachicon.gifphoto.JPGattachicon.gifimage1.jpegattachicon.gifimage3.jpegattachicon.gifimage4.jpeg

 

The last three are of the umpire's locker room.  A bit of an upgrade from the trunk of my car!

I kind of expected a little more out of UCLA. 

 

With the push to go to 4-man at the D-I level a lot of schools are going to have to enlarge their dressing room facilities.

 

 

To this mild mannered HS umpire, it was the Taj Mahal!

Posted

 

 

A few pics (taken from the week prior when I went to observe):

 

attachicon.gifimage2.jpegattachicon.gifphoto.JPGattachicon.gifimage1.jpegattachicon.gifimage3.jpegattachicon.gifimage4.jpeg

 

The last three are of the umpire's locker room.  A bit of an upgrade from the trunk of my car!

I kind of expected a little more out of UCLA. 

 

With the push to go to 4-man at the D-I level a lot of schools are going to have to enlarge their dressing room facilities.

 

 

To this mild mannered HS umpire, it was the Taj Mahal!

 

No doubt.  I remember the first time working a game at the University of Missouri.  I thought it was the best thing in the world.  Now...not so much.  We're starting to get taken care of pretty well at more and more schools.  I've posted pictures of the dressing rooms at TD Ameritrade on my personal Facebook page.  It's the most impressive I've seen.

Posted

 

BIG shout out to @Kevin Finnerty for inviting me to work a UCLA Blue/Gold scrimmage with him last night at Jackie Robinson Stadium! Had a blast working 3 man and being on the field with D1 talent. The two of us were on the bases and switched positions halfway through.

I was surprised that the speed of the game didn't phase me at all - probably because of the split base responsibilities in 3 man. Now I just have to convince Kevin to find an opportunity for me to work a plate!

One interesting situation that PU had to deal with: with R1 stealing and a 2 strike count, the batter foul tips, and commits backswing interference knocking the ball from F2's glove. It happened very fast, but the result was batter out on strikes, and R1 returns.

Had a steal for an out at second from C, a diving catch by F9 that I went out on, a snap throw pick-off right at my head (F3 snagged it while Kevin was laughing at me), a couple of DPs, a half-swing appeal, and several plays at first. All in all, an action-packed evening.

Thanks again Kevin! And no, I won't be sending my resume to anyone for college ball just yet. ;)

"Had a steal for an out at second from C"

Was it a lefty batter?

 

Wont matter anymore.. Now in College you will have the choice with a LH batter.

Posted

BIG shout out to @Kevin Finnerty for inviting me to work a UCLA Blue/Gold scrimmage with him last night at Jackie Robinson Stadium! Had a blast working 3 man and being on the field with D1 talent. The two of us were on the bases and switched positions halfway through.

I was surprised that the speed of the game didn't phase me at all - probably because of the split base responsibilities in 3 man. Now I just have to convince Kevin to find an opportunity for me to work a plate!

One interesting situation that PU had to deal with: with R1 stealing and a 2 strike count, the batter foul tips, and commits backswing interference knocking the ball from F2's glove. It happened very fast, but the result was batter out on strikes, and R1 returns.

Had a steal for an out at second from C, a diving catch by F9 that I went out on, a snap throw pick-off right at my head (F3 snagged it while Kevin was laughing at me), a couple of DPs, a half-swing appeal, and several plays at first. All in all, an action-packed evening.

Thanks again Kevin! And no, I won't be sending my resume to anyone for college ball just yet. ;)

"Had a steal for an out at second from C"

Was it a lefty batter?

Wont matter anymore.. Now in College you will have the choice with a LH batter.

I think I noted that in post #14 in this thread.

×
×
  • Create New...