Rotation to Third

catcher
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3834 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hi everybody: I am a LL/town league umpire (I only work 60-ft diamond) who is a alumn of an eight-hour rules course and an eight-hour rules course only. I have been taught the rotation to third by two senior members of my association, and both taught it differently. One taught that I (BU) should come in behind him (PU) and take the play at home no matter what. The other said that he would rotate back and take home if there isn't a play at third. Also, one took steals to third from the dish, while the other had me follow the runner. Lastly, with nobody on, do I follow the runner all the way around the bases on extra base hits, or do I give the plate umpire third. Will this change if I move up to babe ruth? I imagine the PU won't have a good look at third from 90 ft away.

Also, does anybody know of any good resources (namely books) that would help improve my knowledge of rotations, etc. (not rules)?

The way we handle the rotation is for the plate umpire to take R1 into third. In the event of an over-throw, the plate umpire takes any play at the plate. A steal of third should ALWAYS be BU's call. I have no idea why any plate umpire, even on a small diamond, would think he should make that call. With no runners on, the BU has responsibility for the BR all the way to third, and any play back into third.

As for a reference guide to mechanics, I would recommend the PBUC's Manual for the Two-Umpire System, or Jim Evan's Maximizing the Two umpire system.

• Like 1

Hey Catcher....Welcome to the world of umpiring. It's a great hobby and one you can do for many years. Regarding rotations, you rotate with runners on 1st or 1st and 3rd. You only rotate on base hits into the outfield. The plate guy goes to third and you pick up the batter runner. You never rotate home.

You have all stolen bases until the plate guy is in position to cover his end.

As the base guy, you have the runner all the way to third.

These are basic descriptions of your duties. I would suggest you purchase the Jim Evans Maximizing the Two Umpire System. You can find it the ABUA website.

. I have been taught the rotation to third by two senior members of my association, and both taught it differently.

That's because theres more than one way of doing almost anything related to umpiring.  Its a little weird that your association hasn't standardized on one was for the situations you mentioned -- so maybe that's a point to be raised at some association meeting.  It certainly points out the need to cover it during pre-game.  (And maybe your association has a standard but one of the umpires is either physically challenged or physically gifted so prefers to do it the "other" way.)

Thanks. Another question: I don't feel comfortable on the outside of the baseline. Has anyone ever heard of setting up on the infield grass?

I've got some gift cards to barnes and noble -- will definitely look at picking up those books for some winter reading.

There's a 60' mechanic called "The Pinch" that puts the base umpire in a position to see runners leaving early, but also puts them in a better position to get into the working area.  However, it's not something I would recommend for a new umpire.

Thanks. Another question: I don't feel comfortable on the outside of the baseline. Has anyone ever heard of setting up on the infield grass?

I've got some gift cards to barnes and noble -- will definitely look at picking up those books for some winter reading.

There's a 60' mechanic called "The Pinch" that puts the base umpire in a position to see runners leaving early, but also puts them in a better position to get into the working area.  However, it's not something I would recommend for a new umpire.

steve ive never heard that term before....can you elaborate?

With runners on, there are 3 positions for the BU:

R1 only:  BU sets up on the 3B side of the 2B cutout, so R1 can be seen leaving early.  When ball is hit, step up into the working area and then work normal 90' mechanics.

R3 only:  BU sets up on the 1B side of the 2B cutout, so R3 can be seen leaving early.  When ball is hit, step up into the working area and then work normal 90' mechanics.

Anytime there is R2:  BU sets up about halfway between F4 and the 2B bag.  This is the one that can get you in trouble because when the ball is hit, you have to be able to stay out of the way of F4 and F6 while getting into position in the working area when the ball is hit.

Hey Catcher....Welcome to the world of umpiring. It's a great hobby and one you can do for many years. Regarding rotations, you rotate with runners on 1st or 1st and 3rd. You only rotate on base hits into the outfield. The plate guy goes to third and you pick up the batter runner. You never rotate home.

You have all stolen bases until the plate guy is in position to cover his end.

As the base guy, you have the runner all the way to third.

These are basic descriptions of your duties. I would suggest you purchase the Jim Evans Maximizing the Two Umpire System. You can find it the ABUA website.

or batted balls that goes through a fielder..a error i mean... you do not rotate on a throw... example... R1.. ground ball to SS to throws the ball into the outfield, this is not a rotation.

R1 only:  BU sets up on the 3B side of the 2B cutout, so R1 can be seen leaving early.  When ball is hit, step up into the working area and then work normal 90' mechanics.

R3 only:  BU sets up on the 1B side of the 2B cutout, so R3 can be seen leaving early.  When ball is hit, step up into the working area and then work normal 90' mechanics.

Anytime there is R2:  BU sets up about halfway between F4 and the 2B bag.  This is the one that can get you in trouble because when the ball is hit, you have to be able to stay out of the way of F4 and F6 while getting into position in the working area when the ball is hit.

this is wrong....

R1 BU is in "B" or on the 2nd base side.

R1 & R3 BU is in "B" or 2nd base side

R2 or r3 or R1, R2, or bases loaded, or R3 BU is in "C" or the 3rd base side.

Thanks. Another question: I don't feel comfortable on the outside of the baseline. Has anyone ever heard of setting up on the infield grass? I've got some gift cards to barnes and noble -- will definitely look at picking up those books for some winter reading.
There's a 60' mechanic called "The Pinch" that puts the base umpire in a position to see runners leaving early, but also puts them in a better position to get into the working area. However, it's not something I would recommend for a new umpire. steve ive never heard that term before....can you elaborate? With runners on, there are 3 positions for the BU: R1 only: BU sets up on the 3B side of the 2B cutout, so R1 can be seen leaving early. When ball is hit, step up into the working area and then work normal 90' mechanics. R3 only: BU sets up on the 1B side of the 2B cutout, so R3 can be seen leaving early. When ball is hit, step up into the working area and then work normal 90' mechanics. Anytime there is R2: BU sets up about halfway between F4 and the 2B bag. This is the one that can get you in trouble because when the ball is hit, you have to be able to stay out of the way of F4 and F6 while getting into position in the working area when the ball is hit. this is wrong.... R1 BU is in "B" or on the 2nd base side. R1 & R3 BU is in "B" or 2nd base side R2 or r3 or R1, R2, or bases loaded, or R3 BU is in "C" or the 3rd base side. Haid, it's a modified 60 foot mechanic. Nothing to do with "real" baseball. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is wrong....

Couple of questions. With R3, does 2 outs change C to B in PBUC? It was mentioned here a while ago. The last college clinic I went to did not want you in B at all due to an increasing number of picks at third.

When you say B or C or deep B or C why do you have to refer to the side of the mound? Doesnt everyone posting here know the ABC positions? Does PBUC not like to use those terms? BTW, CCA does use the ABC terms but their written B and C positions use half the distance between the pitchers rubber and 1B or 3B as opposed to a tangent to the mound. Obviously a typo.

There's a 60' mechanic called "The Pinch" that puts the base umpire in a position to see runners leaving early, but also puts them in a better position to get into the working area.  However, it's not something I would recommend for a new umpire. steve ive never heard that term before....can you elaborate?  

Anytime there is R2:  BU sets up about halfway between F4 and the 2B bag.  This is the one that can get you in trouble because when the ball is hit, you have to be able to stay out of the way of F4 and F6 while getting into position in the working area when the ball is hit. this is wrong....

Couple of questions. With R3, does 2 outs change C to B in PBUC? It was mentioned here a while ago. The last college clinic I went to did not want you in B at all due to an increasing number of picks at third.

When you say B or C or deep B or C why do you have to refer to the side of the mound? Doesnt everyone posting here know the ABC positions? Does PBUC not like to use those terms? BTW, CCA does use the ABC terms but their written B and C positions use half the distance between the pitchers rubber and 1B or 3B as opposed to a tangent to the mound. Obviously a typo.

The BU stays in "C" with R3 and two outs from what I've seen when pro umpires work 2-man. 

There's a 60' mechanic called "The Pinch" that puts the base umpire in a position to see runners leaving early, but also puts them in a better position to get into the working area. However, it's not something I would recommend for a new umpire.

R1 only: BU sets up on the 3B side of the 2B cutout, so R1 can be seen leaving early. When ball is hit, step up into the working area and then work normal 90' mechanics.

R3 only: BU sets up on the 1B side of the 2B cutout, so R3 can be seen leaving early. When ball is hit, step up into the working area and then work normal 90' mechanics.

Anytime there is R2: BU sets up about halfway between F4 and the 2B bag. This is the one that can get you in trouble because when the ball is hit, you have to be able to stay out of the way of F4 and F6 while getting into position in the working area when the ball is hit.

this is wrong....

Haid, it's a modified 60 foot mechanic. Nothing to do with "real" baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uh... ok... i take back my post.... of course i dont know LL..... but really these are the mechanics?... crazy..Sorry Grayhawk

There's a 60' mechanic called "The Pinch" that puts the base umpire in a position to see runners leaving early, but also puts them in a better position to get into the working area.  However, it's not something I would recommend for a new umpire. steve ive never heard that term before....can you elaborate?  

Anytime there is R2:  BU sets up about halfway between F4 and the 2B bag.  This is the one that can get you in trouble because when the ball is hit, you have to be able to stay out of the way of F4 and F6 while getting into position in the working area when the ball is hit. this is wrong....

No... the outs mean nothing as to wear we stand....not in any situation.

@catcher

Here is a powerpoint that has been around for a while. It covers 2-man mechanics on the 60ft Diamond. This should tell you everything you want to know.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.district55.org%2F2man-mechanics.ppt&ei=Eh55UtCtKKew2AXL9YGIDA&usg=AFQjCNH9ovjeoUt_iBdMo4N1GAw8Et905w&bvm=bv.55980276,d.b2I

this is wrong....

PBUC does not use the ABC method.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2