Working solo and the dreaded sac fly to right ....

Guest A New Umpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3746 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest A New Umpire

I was working solo for what I call a semi-competitive U10 travel league. No outs, runner on third, and batter hits a sinking line drive to right.  Right fielder took an odd path to the ball so I focused on whether it was a clean catch to see if the ball was in his glove or rolled out and was trapped underneath him on the ground.  As I was taking those few seconds to determine that the ball was in his glove for the clean catch, the runner at third was tagging.  I had no idea if he left early or not … just didn’t see it.  As the right fielder comes up firing for home to make a play on the runner, the defensive team’s coaches immediately yell for the throw to go to third.  Runner beats the throw and called safe at home (not by much, which leads me to believe he probably properly tagged based on the first touch rule). Probably influenced by all the yelling for the throw to go to third, the base runner gets up from the slide and starts heading back to third. Catcher’s throw to third beats runner back.  I called him out.  I’m somewhat bothered by the fact the kid may have gotten duped by the opposing team coaches; which in turn allowed me to be duped. If that kid would have just headed to the dug out, I would have denied the appeal because I didn’t see it, but that fact that he re-entered the basepaths suddenly created the doubt in my mind that he didn’t properly tag.  I’m a pretty new umpire (and working solo) and am feeling a little guilty about this one, I was just wondering what I could have done differently.  Is there rule that I missed somewhere that says if a baserunner re-enters the basepaths after being called safe at home, he puts himself in jeopardy?

You didn't miss any rule and all you can do is take a quick glance just before the ball is touched to see if R3 is on the base.  After that you need to stay with the catch.  And if the Defencive manager complains you get a chance to practice your game management techniques.

I had a similar situation. I was the only umpire and there was a fly ball to shallow left field. I could not see the tag at first. I was told that the runner left too soon and the defense threw the ball to first. The offence wanted to go with the out if I was okay with it since I had not seen it. I heard that the umpire is supposed to line up so both the tag and catch are in view. Is this correct? Thanks for asking this question. I have wondered about this too.

You need to align yourself as much as possible to see both the catch and the retouch.  On a fly ball to right and R3, get up the 3B line as much as the play will allow.  It's also a good idea to stand off the line a bit to give you a better angle on the retouch.  However, if it's a trouble ball, as in the OP, then I would put myself in the best position to judge catch/no catch as that is the most pressing priority.  As noumpere said, glance over before the potential catch to see if R3 is retouching.

If they appeal and the best information you have is that R3 looked to be retouching just before the catch, then that's what you have to go with.

Back up toward the backstop if possible. That will allow you to see both. If you don't see him leave early you cannot call him out. Coach wants to whine, tell him you don't have it, walk away. If he follows, dump him. He'll learn that one man, he's gets no leash.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

All good mechanics advice, but it should be mentioned that since you called the runner out when the defense threw the ball to 3B, you are indeed telling everyone that you saw the runner leave early and you are sustaining the appeal, even though you admit: "I had no idea if he left early or not … just didn’t see it."

You cannot call something you did not see. (Well, you can, but you shouldn't.)

• Like 2

All good mechanics advice, but it should be mentioned that since you called the runner out when the defense threw the ball to 3B, you are indeed telling everyone that you saw the runner leave early and you are sustaining the appeal, even though you admit: "I had no idea if he left early or not … just didn’t see it."

Nice looking dog!

• Like 1

Nice looking dog!

He's a real gem. Found him in Cook County Animal Control; already housebroken and with a couple of tricks already learned.

I figure he escaped from a nice family, got lost and then got pinched. Chicago's a really big place. 

• Like 1

Nice looking dog!

He's a real gem. Found him in Cook County Animal Control; already housebroken and with a couple of tricks already learned.

I figure he escaped from a nice family, got lost and then got pinched. Chicago's a really big place. 

My wife and I have rescued over 40 dogs and placed them in good homes. Rescue dogs know they got a second chance.  

mstaylor does some real special work with dogs as well. 

He was the third dog we looked at; the first two seemed to be more interested in finding something to eat in the dog run. When we took Tucker into a run, he made a bee- (dog?) line to a tennis ball, brought it to my then 12 yr old daughter, dropped it at her feet and looked up at her as if saying "well, you gonna throw that?"

That would have been enough, but when he repeated that with my 9 yr old son, it became a real no-brainer.

The ex ended up with him because I was living out of my business during the divorce and the few months after. He's now roaming the wide open areas in central Texas.

He was the third dog we looked at; the first two seemed to be more interested in finding something to eat in the dog run. When we took Tucker into a run, he made a bee- (dog?) line to a tennis ball, brought it to my then 12 yr old daughter, dropped it at her feet and looked up at her as if saying "well, you gonna throw that?"

That would have been enough, but when he repeated that with my 9 yr old son, it became a real no-brainer.

The ex ended up with him because I was living out of my business during the divorce and the few months after. He's now roaming the wide open areas in central Texas.

There are no winners in divorces and wars. Been through both. Bad news you lost your dog.

Yelling and screaming working a 1-man 10U game? Not me. I tell HCs at the plate conference, especially when working alone, if you yell and scream about calls during the game, you will be ejected. Period. Set the tone at the start and they'll behave. If they don't, you run their asses and be done with it. If you want to act like a world class asshat, I'm going to treat you like one. There's no need for that BS. There aren't radar guns lined up behind the backstop, nobody on a 10U field is getting a college scholarship on game day, tell them to STFU (nicely) and let the kids play for f's sake.

• Like 1

Yelling and screaming working a 1-man 10U game? Not me. I tell HCs at the plate conference, especially when working alone, if you yell and scream about calls during the game, you will be ejected. Period. Set the tone at the start and they'll behave. If they don't, you run their asses and be done with it. If you want to act like a world class asshat, I'm going to treat you like one. There's no need for that BS. There aren't radar guns lined up behind the backstop, nobody on a 10U field is getting a college scholarship on game day, tell them to STFU (nicely) and let the kids play for f's sake.

This guy is TOUGH! Keep it up!

• Like 1

Its good to not take any gruff when your working alone but I wouldnt mention it at the plate meeting.  IMO it just sets the expectation thay your expecting something to happen.  I just work hard (duh) and then deal with what happens.

• Like 1

It's works for me so I do it

I am like noumpire, I prefer that it is not mentioned during the plate meeting. 

After 18 years in my county, everybody knows... I don't play games.

If the coaches know that you are a no nonsense umpire, why the warning? I am very well known in my area also, therefore I don't ever start a game negatively. I start upbeat and accommodating, stay that way until the coach gives me a reason to be. But I have the ability to apply 11.03g almost verbatim without making them mad.   

I like it.

If the coaches know that you are a no nonsense umpire, why the warning? I wouldn't call it a warning. It's part of my standard dialogue for one man games only. It works for me and saying what I say has not once been an issue. Reading between the lines, I'm telling them essentially OBR 9.02a without stating the rule. In 206 games work in 2012, 30-35% were one man games. I had 13 total ejections, 10 in a 19 U wooden bat league that plays 3 seasons (spring, summer, fall) and the other 3 were malicious contact ejections in 1-man games. The 10 in the same league, the LP is a giant pussy and doesn't suspend ejected coaches so there really is no penalty for an ejected coach. They just can't continue to manage their team for the rest of that game and the continue to get tossed knowing their is no real punishment for their behavior. How many times on this site have you read on a malicious contact ejection, the HC is ejected for arguing the malicious contact? They might question the ejection but I'm able to talk them off the cliff when I remind them that the player lowered his shoulder to take out another player. If they are hot, I ask them if its really worth a 4 game suspension? The player is already getting two games. Is it worth not being able to physically be in the vicinity of the field for four games? And then they chill the eff out. How I interact with players, coaches, and fans (yes, I wrote fans) is far different than how I do in a two man crew on a 90' diamond. Here everything not on a 90' is a one man game. I'm over the top friendly, I joke around with everyone, tossing in an every so often quote from a famous baseball movie, and people in general eat it up. In the third or forth inning, between innings I always walk up the line to the parents sitting in the stands on the losing team and say in an exaggerated and sarcastic tone "Sorry ladies, I'm taken. Simmer down, simmer down." And it always gets a laugh. Now i am 6' 1", i weigh close to 300 pounds, i have a face ugly enough that it can stop a clock, just for a point of reference. or then there are the times Have a good day at work when a father comes out to warm the pitcher cause the catcher was the last batted out, I always ask the father if he's properly equipped or done having kids. Umpires in general forget that we are not only there to make sure neither team gets an advantage, apply the rules, and call balls/strikes, fair/foul, safe/out, but we are also there to provide customer service to these leagues as a whole. Before Memorial Day weekend, unless I'm doing the 19U wooden bat league, I'm not on a 90' diamond. I'm the most requested umpire for 8U-12U teams. We literally have leagues here that are only 8U, 9U, 10U, 11U, and 12U. I have no problem coaching coaches to a degree at the 8U/9U/10U levels because here these teams stay in tact until the kids play high school ball. You're going to have the same players with the same coaching staffs for a few years playing one another. For example, if a player turns to his left instead of his right and the defensive coach is screaming from the dugout "tag him, tag him", I will tell him for all to hear as long as he doesn't show intent to go to second base, it doesn't matter which way he turns, provided he's going directly back to first base. Everybody gains the knowledge, players, coaches, and fans, and it provides less headaches when they reach the 90' diamond. I'm not the world class prick that I may have given you the impression that I am. I'm not asking you to subscribe to the ways the I choose to manage my game. It's my game, it works for me, and I'm going to continue to do it. Parents spend thousands of dollars a year for league registration, tournaments, gear, uniforms, umpire fees, gatorade, seeds, etc. I feel it is my duty as an umpire to prepare them for the next level. Feel free to disagree with anything or everything I've said but I'm a damn good umpire and I've earned the respect that I receive from the teams in these leagues because of how I handle myself and what I do on the field. If I've had a game where a catcher at the 12U level is catching low pitches underhanded, I'll ask both HCs if I can speak with them and any player who catches for their teams after the game, and I'll provide a mini clinic after the game. Anybody can call ball/strike, fair/foul, safe/out, and apply the interpretation of the rules. Anybody can umpire a game with a little training, but in my opinion the difference between being an average umpire and a good umpire is how you interact and handle yourself with everyone, including fans to some degree, on the ball field.

• Like 2

If the coaches know that you are a no nonsense umpire, why the warning? I wouldn't call it a warning. It's part of my standard dialogue for one man games only. It works for me and saying what I say has not once been an issue. Reading between the lines, I'm telling them essentially OBR 9.02a without stating the rule. In 206 games work in 2012, 30-35% were one man games. I had 13 total ejections, 10 in a 19 U wooden bat league that plays 3 seasons (spring, summer, fall) and the other 3 were malicious contact ejections in 1-man games. The 10 in the same league, the LP is a giant pussy and doesn't suspend ejected coaches so there really is no penalty for an ejected coach. They just can't continue to manage their team for the rest of that game and the continue to get tossed knowing their is no real punishment for their behavior. How many times on this site have you read on a malicious contact ejection, the HC is ejected for arguing the malicious contact? They might question the ejection but I'm able to talk them off the cliff when I remind them that the player lowered his shoulder to take out another player. If they are hot, I ask them if its really worth a 4 game suspension? The player is already getting two games. Is it worth not being able to physically be in the vicinity of the field for four games? And then they chill the eff out. How I interact with players, coaches, and fans (yes, I wrote fans) is far different than how I do in a two man crew on a 90' diamond. Here everything not on a 90' is a one man game. I'm over the top friendly, I joke around with everyone, tossing in an every so often quote from a famous baseball movie, and people in general eat it up. In the third or forth inning, between innings I always walk up the line to the parents sitting in the stands on the losing team and say in an exaggerated and sarcastic tone "Sorry ladies, I'm taken. Simmer down, simmer down." And it always gets a laugh. Now i am 6' 1", i weigh close to 300 pounds, i have a face ugly enough that it can stop a clock, just for a point of reference. or then there are the times Have a good day at work when a father comes out to warm the pitcher cause the catcher was the last batted out, I always ask the father if he's properly equipped or done having kids. Umpires in general forget that we are not only there to make sure neither team gets an advantage, apply the rules, and call balls/strikes, fair/foul, safe/out, but we are also there to provide customer service to these leagues as a whole. Before Memorial Day weekend, unless I'm doing the 19U wooden bat league, I'm not on a 90' diamond. I'm the most requested umpire for 8U-12U teams. We literally have leagues here that are only 8U, 9U, 10U, 11U, and 12U. I have no problem coaching coaches to a degree at the 8U/9U/10U levels because here these teams stay in tact until the kids play high school ball. You're going to have the same players with the same coaching staffs for a few years playing one another. For example, if a player turns to his left instead of his right and the defensive coach is screaming from the dugout "tag him, tag him", I will tell him for all to hear as long as he doesn't show intent to go to second base, it doesn't matter which way he turns, provided he's going directly back to first base. Everybody gains the knowledge, players, coaches, and fans, and it provides less headaches when they reach the 90' diamond. I'm not the world class prick that I may have given you the impression that I am. I'm not asking you to subscribe to the ways the I choose to manage my game. It's my game, it works for me, and I'm going to continue to do it. Parents spend thousands of dollars a year for league registration, tournaments, gear, uniforms, umpire fees, gatorade, seeds, etc. I feel it is my duty as an umpire to prepare them for the next level. Feel free to disagree with anything or everything I've said but I'm a damn good umpire and I've earned the respect that I receive from the teams in these leagues because of how I handle myself and what I do on the field. If I've had a game where a catcher at the 12U level is catching low pitches underhanded, I'll ask both HCs if I can speak with them and any player who catches for their teams after the game, and I'll provide a mini clinic after the game. Anybody can call ball/strike, fair/foul, safe/out, and apply the interpretation of the rules. Anybody can umpire a game with a little training, but in my opinion the difference between being an average umpire and a good umpire is how you interact and handle yourself with everyone, including fans to some degree, on the ball field.

Don't over react to any criticism on this forum.

If it is working for you keep doing it.

Lots of wisdom here.

mstaylor's comments have changed how I umpire and for the better!

I would consider it an honor to call with you.

BTW your picture does not show you at 300lbs.

I am at 350lbs and women fight to get to me as I leave them field!

As you know It’s a curse being this big and handsome!  

my God ....how about a paragraph or two?! :shakehead:

• Like 1

I'm still a bit confused about the operner.............. semi-competitive U10 travel league.  Isn't that the purpose of travel ball?  Better competition?  Hmmmm......competition.....competitive................

I don't think mom & dad would pay out the wazoo for travel ball if lil' johnny was picking dandelions in RF.  Just my .02