Interesting article ..........

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4008 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Interesting.

But how many of us would want to be "introduced" to the spectators?

How many would go over to the sidelines at halftime to field questions? Yikes!

The article is clearly heartfelt and is an example of the mindset that needs to develop for a more enjoyable sporting experience.

Interesting.

But how many of us would want to be "introduced" to the spectators?

How many would go over to the sidelines at halftime to field questions? Yikes!

The article is clearly heartfelt and is an example of the mindset that needs to develop for a more enjoyable sporting experience.

Re: being introduced - I wouldn't have a problem with it if it was more of standard practice and the climate changed.  Would I want to do it tomorrow, absolutely not but would I do it if that was standard practice, sure. I do believe that it helps when people know your name and see you as human.  Isn't that part of the reason that we call coaches by their first name and they call us by them?  

As to the explaining calls at halftime, it probably doesn't work as well for baseball with so many people who think that they know it all.  Field hockey, why not - but not baseball. 

Maybe it's halfhearted but it's the right idea.  Certainly beats the win at all cost umpire abuse we've seen so much of the last 48 hours. 

Awesome article but some stupid comments made by brain less fanatic people.

As a general rule, never ever read the comments of an internet article. 90% of them are from the dregs of humanity or fake trolls just trying to get people worked up. These two groups are by no means mutually exclusive.

As a general rule, never ever read the comments of an internet article. 90% of them are from the dregs of humanity or fake trolls just trying to get people worked up. These two groups are by no means mutually exclusive.

As a general rule I agree on the comments. As for the article I've seen Steve Wulf's work for a few years. He's very involved with youth sports and trying to keep them in perspective. The article also showed that even someone who should know better, the author, kind of lost his mind when a call didn't go his way. Shows how easily it can happen, even to a guy who usually tries to behave.

As a general rule I agree. However I've seen Steve Wulf's work for a few years. He's very involved with youth sports and trying to keep them in perspective. The article also showed that even someone who should know better, the author, kind of lost his mind when a call didn't go his way. Shows how easily it can happen. I think this is a great article.

Oh sure, I liked the article too. I just meant the comments at the bottom of an article are generally worthless, not the article itself.

• Like 1

As a general rule I agree. However I've seen Steve Wulf's work for a few years. He's very involved with youth sports and trying to keep them in perspective. The article also showed that even someone who should know better, the author, kind of lost his mind when a call didn't go his way. Shows how easily it can happen. I think this is a great article.

Oh sure, I liked the article too. I just meant the comments at the bottom of an article are generally worthless, not the article itself.

Yup, I fixed my post. I originally misunderstood what you said in yours. I think we're saying the same thing.