Champion CP

24sdad
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3650 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

For the past two years I have been wearing a WV Gold.  Excellent comfort and protection but I have the shoulder straps pretty tight in order to get as much neck protection as possible.  I can barely get it over my big mellon when I put it on.  A guy in my association recommended the Champion P210 CP as lighter, more comfortable and without losing any protective qualities.

I haven't pissed my wife off lately with any new equipment purchases, so I figured what the heck.  I got it through Amazon for around $45.  Worse case I can always use it as my back up.

What I immediately liked about it was the added material under the neck, as opposed to the "scoop neck" of the Gold.  To me, fit was similar to the Gold and I did not notice any weight or comfort difference.  Not as much hard shell protection as the Gold, but for the price you would not expect there to be.

Into my 5th game with the Champion and it was finally tested.  Kid throws a 90ish FB inside that the batter fouls straight back hitting me in the area of the red mark on the pic...

post-1250-0-35124900-1365440964_thumb.jp

Now, I have taken foul balls off the Gold that sounded extremely ugly.  The balls bounces off the Gold and rolls half way back to the pitcher.  Sounds ugly, but I barely felt a thing.

Not so much with the Champion.  This one I did feel and it did smart for a minute or two.  Nothing where it left a mark or anything, just noticeably different from the Gold.  My next game I went back to the Gold, which I will continue to wear.  

This is not to say the Champion is a piece of junk.  It looks to be well made, offers good protection, is comfortable and light, AND IS INEXPENSIVE! For someone unable to afford the upper dollar CP's, I would recommend it. 

My .02 and YMMV

Not so much with the Champion. This one I did feel and it did smart for a minute or two. Nothing where it left a mark or anything, just noticeably different from the Gold. My next game I went back to the Gold, which I will continue to wear.

This is not to say the Champion is a piece of junk. It looks to be well made, offers good protection, is comfortable and light, AND IS INEXPENSIVE! For someone unable to afford the upper dollar CP's, I would recommend it.

My .02 and YMMV

Not surprised by your experience with this

I love mine. I've been hit multiple times ranging from JV down to 10 year olds and have yet to feel a thing. The JV pitcher that hit me was throwing mid 80's. No mark or bruise or anything. Love it!

I'm more cautious than most, as I had my heart messed with using a flimsey ribbed c/p years ago. Plus, I'm really protective of my Junior umpires.

For older kids, I've got a couple charcoals, an original WV and a Douglas for my Junior umpires and adults. The Champions are used in LL Majors and below.

• Like 1

Two major league umpires where this Champion hard shell chest protector as well as two major league umpires wear  Honig s K-1 chest protectors. Yet not one major league umpire wears the All Star hard shell. I wear my Champion hard shell 60% of the time and my Douglas the other times. The  thing i like the about the Champion is that is comes in 15 and 17 inch versions. The Wilson hard shell are all under 13 inches which is fine if you are 5-9 and under.

Two major league umpires where this Champion hard shell chest protector as well as two major league umpires wear Honig s K-1 chest protectors. Yet not one major league umpire wears the All Star hard shell. I wear my Champion hard shell 60% of the time and my Douglas the other times. The thing i like the about the Champion is that is comes in 15 and 17 inch versions. The Wilson hard shell are all under 13 inches which is fine if you are 5-9 and under.

Saw Porter on tv this week sportin a WV Gold so that leaves Joyce as the only K1 wearer.

I've noticed a few wearing the old All American Protector...all young guys too.... Bellino, Conroy, and Baker.

Two major league umpires where this Champion hard shell chest protector as well as two major league umpires wear  Honig s K-1 chest protectors. Yet not one major league umpire wears the All Star hard shell. I wear my Champion hard shell 60% of the time and my Douglas the other times. The  thing i like the about the Champion is that is comes in 15 and 17 inch versions. The Wilson hard shell are all under 13 inches which is fine if you are 5-9 and under.

Not sure you can necessarily equate height to CP length.  I am 6'4" and wear a 14" Douglas (I think, it may be a 13") and am completely protected.

While the hard shell protection of the Champion is as good as the "top line" hard shells, its padding is a bit thin in comparison.  Too bad Team Wendy's doesn't offer a retrofit for it.

Two major league umpires where this Champion hard shell chest protector as well as two major league umpires wear Honig s K-1 chest protectors. Yet not one major league umpire wears the All Star hard shell. I wear my Champion hard shell 60% of the time and my Douglas the other times. The thing i like the about the Champion is that is comes in 15 and 17 inch versions. The Wilson hard shell are all under 13 inches which is fine if you are 5-9 and under.

Saw Porter on tv this week sportin a WV Gold so that leaves Joyce as the only K1 wearer.

I've noticed a few wearing the old All American Protector...all young guys too.... Bellino, Conroy, and Baker.

The All American protector is just like the Champion and V Sport hard shell . That makes 5 major league umpires wearing 50 dollar chest protectors and none still wearing the All Star chest protector lol

Not sure you can necessarily equate height to CP length.  I am 6'4" and wear a 14" Douglas (I think, it may be a 13") and am completely protected.

While the hard shell protection of the Champion is as good as the "top line" hard shells, its padding is a bit thin in comparison.  Too bad Team Wendy's doesn't offer a retrofit for it.

That is so true. I am 6 Foot and the 15 inch chest protector barely covers my rib cage. The 13 inch leaves me well exposed and vulnerable. Fellow umpire i know is 6-3 and has 15 inch new doulgas hard shell and has a 4 inch honigs extension added to the bottom

The All American protector is just like the Champion and V Sport hard shell . That makes 5 major league umpires wearing 50 dollar chest protectors and none still wearing the All Star chest protector lol

That's the second time in 3 or 4 posts you've brought up the All-Star which has nothing to do with this topic, but moreso, who cares?

May Champion is a bit dated (prob 5 + years old and lots of wear). Where is the best current place to purchase a new one?

Go to eBay and in the search box write Champion umpire.  That is the best place, price wise, to get one.  You will not find the velcro version, that I'm pretty sure you have, you will find the new riveted version of it.

May Champion is a bit dated (prob 5 + years old and lots of wear). Where is the best current place to purchase a new one?

Go to eBay and in the search box write Champion umpire.  That is the best place, price wise, to get one.  You will not find the velcro version, that I'm pretty sure you have, you will find the new riveted version of it.

CORRECT ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ can't remember the name, but it's out of Lousiana

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive this thread but I wanted to keep all the great intel on this CP on one thread. 

My boys have been using these for a year and THEY LOVE IT.    They look fantastic due to the low profile.    Cam will be working in the Prospect League this summer and I have offered to help him buy pro a pro CP but he actually wants to stick with the Champion (we will see if that lasts). 

I ordered one and wore it last Saturday for two plates in the 95 degree desert heat.    Let me say there is a HUGE difference in the HEAT factor between this Champion CP and My Platinum.   My platinum has thick, solid (Nylon?) padding that DOES NOT breathe and gets very hot underneath (I am sending it to TW, which is why I needed another CP).   However, this Champion CP was extremely well-ventilated and I could feel the desert breeze sneaking under my CP. 

Like others have said, the padding is noticeably thinner, and while I did not take a shot this weekend, I am willing to risk it for the cooling trade-off.   I am also very pleased with the way the low profile looks.

W7vmau0l.jpg

ebEMfQHl.jpg

My back up rig is a Honigs K1............I know guys who have worn it in college ball and even heard that some MLB umpires wore it in MLB.......but since i went WV Platinum, I have only worn my K1 for sub-JV level summer ball....

I just dont have the confdence in it that the Plat gives me.

I too have been on the hunt for the lowest profile CP with the most protection possible.  I realize this is almost an oxymoron but still, that's been my goal.  After trying a Charcoal and then a Douglas, I ordered a V-pro/sport, All-American, whatever we're calling it now a days and I love it. 

I realize this is basically the same CP as the Champion but it still has the velcro padding system.  I contacted Team Wendy last week about getting it retrofitted and they said they could.  That will be a fall project for me when I can live a few weeks without it.  I've taken some hard varsity shots and so far no damage but I want to upgrade it so I can use this as my main rig without any concerns. 

Sure it's around $30 more than the Champion, but with the TW option I think it might be worth looking into for some of you. 

sdix00,

Those are some good looking you umpires!  How old were your boys when they started?  My 9 year old has already decided he wants to umpire.  He tags along with me whenever he can and is beginning to learn the rulebook.  Our high schools usually play Tuesday and Friday nights.  I can't call games for the high school a mile from my house, but my son will ride his bike over to watch my friends umpire.  He asked the UIC at our travel ball park this past weekend how soon until he can start.  He was pretty bummed when the answer was 18.  We do have local rec leagues he'll be able to start working at a younger age though.  I imagine when he starts I'll be his partner, calling some t-ball and coach pitch games that I haven't called since I was in high school.