Throat Guards

semper_fi_72
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4076 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Very happy you are going to be OK and thanks for the advice. I always use a dangler. I support wearing the most protection for me.

It only takes one, and the more games you do the better chance you have of taking one in an unprotected area.

Please keep us updated on your recovery!

Glad you're OK, Lou. You can start working on your Drill Instructor voice, the same one we've been hearing in our dreams for 40 years.

Last week, I pulled a catcher for wearing an iron mask with no tg. The coach, (an Umpire, btw), said "You gonna bust me on that?" I did, and made him change it.

..I just sent him a copy of your post....

A throat guard's primary design is to help people out who may be in danger of taking a straight shot to the gap between the mask and the CP (of course, a proper fit for both will almost certainly eliminate that gap). Unless you're prepared to destroy your back with your plate stance, no typical throat guard on the market will eliminate the chance of taking a ball coming up from the dirt in the throat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h3gB6Wu1_Y

If you want the most complete protection possible with a HSM, go with a outside neck protector designed for hockey goalies: http://www.goaliemon...roat-guard.html

Gary Cedarstrom used to wear one.

If you don't like the look of that, you can wear an inside neck protector that would go on under your CP and provide a tough kevlar neck collar for protection: http://www.goaliemon...ampaign=web_rec

This would apply to either type of mask

It`s unfortunate but injuries are inevitable in this line of work.

Have a speedy recovery.

A throat guard's primary design is to help people out who may be in danger of taking a straight shot to the gap between the mask and the CP (of course, a proper fit for both will almost certainly eliminate that gap). Unless you're prepared to destroy your back with your plate stance, no typical throat guard on the market will eliminate the chance of taking a ball coming up from the dirt in the throat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h3gB6Wu1_Y

If you want the most complete protection possible with a HSM, go with a outside neck protector designed for hockey goalies: http://www.goaliemon...roat-guard.html

Gary Cedarstrom used to wear one.

If you don't like the look of that, you can wear an inside neck protector that would go on under your CP and provide a tough kevlar neck collar for protection: http://www.goaliemon...ampaign=web_rec

This would apply to either type of mask

It`s unfortunate but injuries are inevitable in this line of work.

Have a speedy recovery.

Exactly how I took my shot.

Up from the dirt!!!!!

I believe it went off the top part of my CP also.

I like the collar you posted.

After this injury I am going to look into that.

I believe there is a hockey supplier by the Honda Center and Disneyland.

Next time I am down there I will make a stop in so I can at least try one on.

I don't ever want to go through this type of injury again.

• 4 months later...

I just got hit in the throat on a D3K that bounced up in a JV game, I went down for a few minutes, thankfully I feel fine but I never excepted this especially due to the fact I was wearing a Allstar MVP2500. I'm about to slap a 6" throat guard on my HSM right now, hopefully that will do the trick. 

I still can see the seams on my throat. On the bright side we got 7 complete done in an 1:40:00. 

I just got hit in the throat on a D3K that bounced up in a JV game, I went down for a few minutes, thankfully I feel fine but I never excepted this especially due to the fact I was wearing a Allstar MVP2500. I'm about to slap a 6" throat guard on my HSM right now, hopefully that will do the trick.

I still can see the seams on my throat. On the bright side we got 7 complete done in an 1:40:00.

glad you are ok!

One of the most dangerous places to get hit and some refuse to wear protection.

I read another post here, it was much the same. It prompted me to invest $30 in All-Star's magnesium TG to go with my everyday mask, the System 7.

I tried it for a game or two and found it to be a bit clumsy when I was de-masking at full speed, as well as clacky; it was a noisy distraction. I'm a bit ashamed to admit, the first game I used my TG in it had to work, but even though a baseball deflected off my TG that game, I took it off for my next plate job that same day.

I'm upset now, thinking about the reasons I chose not to make it a regular piece of equipment. I asked around the locker roon and got a general response that it looked funny. (I still agree that the look is not great). Like many gentlemen who participate in this forum, I hope to do an average of 2 games every 3 days this year, including my insane summer travel-ball bonanza. Now, even if the phantom off-the-plate-into-the-throat slider happens once in 100 games, I can count on 2 throat shots in 2013. So eff-it! I'm gonna wear it every game, and I ain't gonna ask anyone if they like it or not unless they will get tubes in their throats for me too.

I'm gonna chop the top 2" of the 6" TG and have it powder coated along with the mask. I figured out a way to strap it on so it clanks very little. Pics to come!

Thunderheads, I'm glad you are ok. Follow up with your physician. Sit down the little lady and take this opportunity to get her to approve almost any FM rig upgrade you can think of. She may not go for the "I need Ti" argument, but mine was quick to say I could get my Mg TG, and Team Wendy's (which I also don't use because I dont care for the look).

Say, Thunder, why not include a poll to see if more people wear one or not, and why.

By the way, for My Unequal CP Test, I wore the concussion pads and full half-a-foot of Mg TG.

T-Rav,

Glad to see you're ok ...........

The problem I think is going to be placing the throat guard properly without it hanging too far AWAY from your neck .......

In a standard mask you put it on the inside ring (behind your throat extension) so it sits tighter against your CP, but with a HSM there isn't a spot like that, unless of course, you modify your HSM.

:shrug:

T-Rav,

The problem I think is going to be placing the throat guard properly without it hanging too far AWAY from your neck .......

In a standard mask you put it on the inside ring (behind your throat extension) so it sits tighter against your CP, but with a HSM there isn't a spot like that, unless of course, you modify your HSM.

Thanks, I worked another JV game today, I'm fine from the throat hit but from now on I am going to tuck my HSM into my throat on bouncers, I don't care if it looks silly, my life is worth more to me than any evaluator can ding me for.

T-Rav,

Thanks, I worked another JV game today, I'm fine from the throat hit but from now on I am going to tuck my HSM into my throat on bouncers, I don't care if it looks silly, my life is worth more to me than any evaluator can ding me for.

IF YOU KNOW where the pitch is going .....and YOU KNOW it's not a strike,.......... what's the big deal?

It's ok NOT to have the built in TG on your frame

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/MIZUNO-Umpire-Gear-Mask-Baseball-from-Japan-2QA346-/00/s/MzAwWDMwMA==/$T2eC16VHJIYE9qUcNkyYBQd4dp7ONQ~~60_35.JPG

I'm actually going to remove the lower bar from an FM25 and install my TG78. I wouldn't recommend this for everyone, but I am a certified welder and a journeyman fabricator. I'll post pics in a month or so when I get it back from powdercoat.

Inspiration struck and I decided to jump on my project. This is what evolved.

It may take awhile to get powdercoated, but I'll post pics of my finished monster garage project

Well, it finally happened.  Last Thursday working a varsity game, F1 throws about a 55 footer inside and F2 decides to ole it due to no one on base.  F2 later said the ball skipped off his left arm.  Anyway, it went up and under my mask, hit me in the adam's apple area, continued up and smacked me under the chin causing a pretty good gash.   I use the scissors which probably contributed to a more exposed neck area for a ball that bounces and comes up and under, but who knows.  I was wearing a Wilson TP.

Hurt like a bitch for a couple minutes, but when I pulled my hand away from my chin and saw the blood, my first thought was that I was gonna drip blood on my Poly Wools!  Finished the game with no other issues.  Chin and throat are still tender, but no speech or swallowing problems.

I will continue to wear the TP, but if the ball wants to find you, it will.  (And yes, F2 and I had an educational, one way conversation about his responsibilities).

• Like 1