Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5183 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have had the nutty buddy for almost a year now and luckily I have not had it tested yet. Until tonight in a 13u game with a pitcher throwing smoke a foul ball bounces up and pow. I brace myself for the pain but feel absolutely nothing. People were shocked I didn't go down. I was asked multiple times after that the brand name (I probably sold a half dozen). We all know how painful a nutcracker ball can be, but I can honestly say from one umpire to another the Nutty Buddy will be the best equipment investment you have ever made.

  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I bought one after taking three cup shots in one tourney.

Haven't needed it since (luckily? figures?), however it is so comfortable that I even use it on the bases, which I never did with my previous cup.

Posted

I have had the nutty buddy for almost a year now and luckily I have not had it tested yet. Until tonight in a 13u game with a pitcher throwing smoke a foul ball bounces up and pow. I brace myself for the pain but feel absolutely nothing. People were shocked I didn't go down. I was asked multiple times after that the brand name (I probably sold a half dozen). We all know how painful a nutcracker ball can be, but I can honestly say from one umpire to another the Nutty Buddy will be the best equipment investment you have ever made.

I went several years where I did not wear a cup. I could never get them to fit right and they are uncomfortable. I just protected that area with my hand, and hoped for then best. Never had a ball even hit my hand. Then one day when I was an assistant coach for a 13-15 year old Babe Ruth team I agreed to warm up a pitcher. I was wearing gym shorts and he threw a 58 foot fastball that caught me and went through me. I had a purple bruise the size of a silver dollar on my sack for about two weeks. Ever since I've been wearing one. Even with the compression jock I just can't seem to get one that is comfortable. And when I umpire multiple games behind the plate I often get a rash on my inner thigh from the rubbing of the cup.

So my question isn't about protection (I've never been hit in the cup before), it's about comfort. Is it more comfortable than a traditional cup?

Posted

I have had the nutty buddy for almost a year now and luckily I have not had it tested yet. Until tonight in a 13u game with a pitcher throwing smoke a foul ball bounces up and pow. I brace myself for the pain but feel absolutely nothing. People were shocked I didn't go down. I was asked multiple times after that the brand name (I probably sold a half dozen). We all know how painful a nutcracker ball can be, but I can honestly say from one umpire to another the Nutty Buddy will be the best equipment investment you have ever made.

I went several years where I did not wear a cup. I could never get them to fit right and they are uncomfortable. I just protected that area with my hand, and hoped for then best. Never had a ball even hit my hand. Then one day when I was an assistant coach for a 13-15 year old Babe Ruth team I agreed to warm up a pitcher. I was wearing gym shorts and he threw a 58 foot fastball that caught me and went through me. I had a purple bruise the size of a silver dollar on my sack for about two weeks. Ever since I've been wearing one. Even with the compression jock I just can't seem to get one that is comfortable. And when I umpire multiple games behind the plate I often get a rash on my inner thigh from the rubbing of the cup.

So my question isn't about protection (I've never been hit in the cup before), it's about comfort. Is it more comfortable than a traditional cup?

I had the same problem until I bought the Nutty Buddy. I was very skeptical with spending $30 in a cup but it is well worth it. As everyone above has said they are very comfortable, I don't think I would go as far as wearing it on the bases but it is comfortable.

I also have been lucky enough to not test mine out yet, but I know when that day comes I will be protected. I was doing a state tournament last weekend and had a pitched ball come what I thought was very close to hitting my Nutty Buddy but I didn't feel anything. In between innings my partner asked if I got hit in the cup and about 5 other people (coaches/fans) asked me after the game if I got hit in the cup...

My response to them was,"No, it didn't hit my cup but if it would have I would have been just fine, I have the best cup money can buy!!!"

Posted

I have had the nutty buddy for almost a year now and luckily I have not had it tested yet. Until tonight in a 13u game with a pitcher throwing smoke a foul ball bounces up and pow. I brace myself for the pain but feel absolutely nothing. People were shocked I didn't go down. I was asked multiple times after that the brand name (I probably sold a half dozen). We all know how painful a nutcracker ball can be, but I can honestly say from one umpire to another the Nutty Buddy will be the best equipment investment you have ever made.

I went several years where I did not wear a cup. I could never get them to fit right and they are uncomfortable. I just protected that area with my hand, and hoped for then best. Never had a ball even hit my hand. Then one day when I was an assistant coach for a 13-15 year old Babe Ruth team I agreed to warm up a pitcher. I was wearing gym shorts and he threw a 58 foot fastball that caught me and went through me. I had a purple bruise the size of a silver dollar on my sack for about two weeks. Ever since I've been wearing one. Even with the compression jock I just can't seem to get one that is comfortable. And when I umpire multiple games behind the plate I often get a rash on my inner thigh from the rubbing of the cup.

So my question isn't about protection (I've never been hit in the cup before), it's about comfort. Is it more comfortable than a traditional cup?

I had the same problem until I bought the Nutty Buddy. I was very skeptical with spending $30 in a cup but it is well worth it. As everyone above has said they are very comfortable, I don't think I would go as far as wearing it on the bases but it is comfortable.

I also have been lucky enough to not test mine out yet, but I know when that day comes I will be protected. I was doing a state tournament last weekend and had a pitched ball come what I thought was very close to hitting my Nutty Buddy but I didn't feel anything. In between innings my partner asked if I got hit in the cup and about 5 other people (coaches/fans) asked me after the game if I got hit in the cup...

My response to them was,"No, it didn't hit my cup but if it would have I would have been just fine, I have the best cup money can buy!!!"

How do you wear it? I *hate* jockstraps -- I've always worn my cup in a cup pocket in tights -- it appears that you can't wear the Nutty Buddy like that, though -- or can you?

Posted

nope...wear it as advertised...very comfortable..

Advertised means in a strap with a compression short under it, right? I'll probably pass, then.

Posted

good luck

Good luck? You act like one is being irresponsible for making another choice in which cup to wear. I've worn a cup for 25 years and have been nailed in it once. It's a calculated risk, just like choosing the right chest protector or mask.

Does the Nutty Buddy provide superior protection? Sure. Is it worth wearing a jockstrap? For me, it's not. Let me know when it can be worn in compression shorts with a cup pocket and I'll give it a try.

Posted

I personally like the shock doctor titanium. It has a gel pad around it that makes it quite comfortable. I wear it with an underarmour jock that is a lot more comfortable than the older style ones.

Posted

Don't worry Rich...I threw my Nutty Buddy away because it was soooooo comfortable. I could never get it to stay where it needed to stay. All it did was cut into my legs and smash the boys as it rode higher and higher every time I got set in my stance. I am using my trusty XO cup over compression shorts with an Under Armour jock to hold it in....no issues for me. I have been rocked once this season and didn't feel a thing.

I will probably go in the direction that welpe has gone and get the Ti for next season.

Posted

I've been using the Shock Doctor long drawers, and their carbon fiber cup for several years. I love long legged undergarments, because of the lower leg comfort. No more shin guard strap rash.

The protection is about 95% for me. It just doesn't fit as snug as I'd like it. Straight shots are no problem, It's just those balls that attack you from below.

I'll need to figure out a new solution, probably with the NB. I just don't want multiple layers, just for the heat's sake. But I've gotta have those long legged pants.

Posted

As far as fit goes -

I first ordered the Mongo, because the size chart (which I can no longer find) told me to (I am 5'10 240).

It fel t like it was too large. It felt bulky and seemed to poke out a little too much.

So I ordered a couple sizes down and it seemed perfectly fine. Then I learned to do the 'equipment blessing' (from JM?) where I tap each piece of gear with my mask before walking to the field. Well, when I tapped my smaller NB, it hurt. Turns out there was not enough clearance between the NB and the boys, even though they were tight against me under boxer briefs.

So I went back to the Mongo and all is good again.

TL;DR - tap the NB with your mask to test for a good fit.

Posted

i wasnt acting like anything - just wishing you good luck as i wish us all when it comes to protecting our bodies

Posted

I've been using the Shock Doctor long drawers, and their carbon fiber cup for several years. I love long legged undergarments, because of the lower leg comfort. No more shin guard strap rash.

The protection is about 95% for me. It just doesn't fit as snug as I'd like it. Straight shots are no problem, It's just those balls that attack you from below.

I'll need to figure out a new solution, probably with the NB. I just don't want multiple layers, just for the heat's sake. But I've gotta have those long legged pants.

I'm going to get this setup. Hopefully the local Hibbets's has it. if not, U-A gets ANOTHER order from me. Lol
Posted

I've been using the Shock Doctor long drawers, and their carbon fiber cup for several years. I love long legged undergarments, because of the lower leg comfort. No more shin guard strap rash.

The protection is about 95% for me. It just doesn't fit as snug as I'd like it. Straight shots are no problem, It's just those balls that attack you from below.

I'll need to figure out a new solution, probably with the NB. I just don't want multiple layers, just for the heat's sake. But I've gotta have those long legged pants.

Thats the whole problem with the cup pocket in most of the long leggings (and Id guess even for the shorts with the pocket). So wear boxer briefs, then a jock with a cup (to stop the chafing problem someone mentioned,) then the leggings. The jock adds no heat issues. And yes I even wear this on the bases..

Posted

Corn starch rubbed on your legs, innner thighs, and juevos will prevent chafing. It's the main ingredient in baby powder, stays on longer because it's more dense, and costs less than baby powder. I apply pre-1st game and reapply as needed. It feels like silk on your skin.


×
×
  • Create New...