How to display balls and strikes

kdub4471881
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4966 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

New umpire here. I display balls and strikes to everyone with balls with my right hand and strikes with my left. The reason why I do this is so that people reading my display are reading left to right. I was told today by a veteran ump, that is incorrect. I was told you should do the opposite. I guess it really doesn't matter but I would think that the whole reason I am holding the count is for players and fans. Everyone reads left to right....right?

Someone let me know if I am correct or incorrect on this.

Thanks!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should always balls with the left hand, strikes with the right.

If you're worried about people reading it wrong, you can verbalize the count as you show it.

I'm not sure if it's a correct mechanic or not, but I usually put up my left hand with the number of balls and say it, then put up by right hand with the number of strikes as I say that so there's no confusion.

i.e. 2-2 -- Left hand up/2 balls, right hand up/2 strikes.

Definitely balls on the left, strikes on the right. If you show it, announce it.

youre right hand is youre power hand !! strikes, outs , ect........ always show balls w/left and strikes w/right . proper mechanic is "three balls and one strike ", "no balls and two strikes" , verbalize balls first then strikes , "three and one" is incorrect mechanic .

d62 blue

There are two reasons, IMO, to visually give the count. One is to the pitcher, since he shouldn't be looking at the scoreboard. And the other is the scoreboard operator, if they've got it wrong.

Balls/left, strikes/right is the proper way to do it.

If you give balls first, then strikes, and say it as you do it ("Two balls, one strike"), they'll be no confusion.

New umpire here. I display balls and strikes to everyone with balls with my right hand and strikes with my left. The reason why I do this is so that people reading my display are reading left to right. I was told today by a veteran ump, that is incorrect. I was told you should do the opposite. I guess it really doesn't matter but I would think that the whole reason I am holding the count is for players and fans. Everyone reads left to right....right?

Someone let me know if I am correct or incorrect on this.

Thanks!

I think it has been cover several times.

Balls on Left hand

Strikes on Right hand.

Umpiring 101.

As far as the statement that everyone reads left to right.

That is a very broad statement.

There are cultures in the world that do read Right to Left.

Sociology 101

So you were incorrect on both.

youre right hand is youre power hand !! strikes, outs , ect........ always show balls w/left and strikes w/right . proper mechanic is "three balls and one strike ", "no balls and two strikes" , verbalize balls first then strikes , "three and one" is incorrect mechanic .

d62 blue

Try not say "no balls". Some players and fans pick up on that and use it against you. Just say "two strikes".

Actually, saying "balls" and "strikes" are not needed, either. "Two.......One" is fine.

I know a guy who'll give you the whole situation:

"BALL'S IN! THREE BALLS, TWO STRIKES, NO OUTS, PLAY!"

He'll do this, even if it's the third foul off of a 3/2 pitch. But he also carries his plate brush in a custom holster on the belt too. (yes, he also has the mask hook, and a beanie).

KISS

Actually, saying "balls" and "strikes" are not needed, either. "Two.......One" is fine.

Gotta disagree w/you here Kyle.

Around here, we are taught to fully verbalize the count. Some people think it's OOO but I do not. IMHO, it's a matter of being heard clearly.

"Two Balls; One Strike!"

is simply easier to understand than

"2 1"

mainly because it takes longer to hear and people often don't hear the beginning of what is being said, just the middle and the end.

Again, JMHO.

I agree with Stuart 100%, I say 1 ball, 2 strikes for the same reason. I had a tendency to say 1/2 too fast so to slow myself down I added the words behind it. Now I don't say no balls or no strikes, I just say what there is, 1 ball or 1 strike. If you can be understood just saying numbers, fine but if not say the whole thing.

Just remember to NEVER to show closed fists for a 3/2 count and NEVER say full count. Show 3 fingers and two fingers and announce 3/2.

Verbalizing "balls" and "strikes" after the count is level and association dependent. I do not do it.

A couple other things concerning showing the count. Show the count at shoulder height, shoulder width apart with palms facing out. The pitcher should never see the back of your hands. In most parts, using the hook-em horns is frowned upon for showing "2". Use the simple V for a 2 count.

I show them at the same time. No need to raise one hand then the other. A personal pet peeve of mine, which I relay to younger guys, is showing just one hand when the count is 0-2, 3-0 for example. Use one fist for a 0 count and number of fingers for the other.

The process of showing the count can make you look either professional or lazy. This is a mechanic that should not be overlooked when considering the appearance of professionalism.

One strike only needs one hand. This is done after that first pitch is fouled with runners on. Hold that one finger out there with your right hand; announce one strike and then point it fair and say play. It's clean and crisp when timed well. Same can be done with two strikes. They know what you’re conveying in higher level ball.

I'll say balls and strikes when the count is 2-2. It just doesn't sound right to me saying 2-2. Most of the time, I'll just give the count 3-2, 2-2, whatever it is combined with the visual. I have a slow southern drawl so it never comes out to quick when announced.

Not disagreeing with the other methods. You have to do what your association requires.

One strike only needs one hand. This is done after that first pitch is fouled with runners on. Hold that one finger out there with your right hand; announce one strike and then point it fair and say play. It's clean and crisp when timed well. Same can be done with two strikes. They know what you’re conveying in higher level ball.

Um, what? What "higher level ball" are you referring to?

At higher level ball, you've got a competent scoreboard operator, and you don't need to announce the count very often. Certainly not after the first pitch is fouled off.

Me, I give it as a courtesy to the pitcher, not as some sort of proclamation to the crowd. But if the scoreboard is wrong, THEN I'll give it LOUD until the correction is made. That's rare, though.

I will typically give the count after every 3rd pitch. I primarily give the count for counts of 2-1, 1-2 and 3-0. The only exceptions to this, is I will also give the count on full counts, and following a check swing appeal. I will also give the count when requested by a Manager or base coach. I NEVER give the count when someone from the stands yells "Hey Blue!...what’s the count?!?"

Thank you everyone (except semper fi 72).

To the gentleman that said there are some cultures that read right to left. I am only umping in america bud. Also, the umping 101 comment was not needed.

kdub

You stated your a new umpire?

One more thing you will need, as your progress, is to thicken your skin.

When you ask questions on forums you may not always like the answers.

Yes, I also just umpire in America and there are cultures and ethnic groups in America that read Right to Left. So perhaps before you make a statement "Everyone Reads Left to Right" right you should think about it.

Our own government has decided that they would not vote to make English our official language, here in America.

I have worked HS Games for a High School for the Deaf.

If I indicated Balls and Strikes on the wrong hands, even if I verbalized the count, I would be in for a long day.

So welcome to the Brotherhood of Umpires and start working on thickening up your skin.

:givebeer:

for over a week this has been going on????--balls in the left hand Strikes in the right!!!!!!

now lets agure about important things--do we drink one beer between a double header or two beers :)

If it's just 1 beer...which hand do you hold it in? And do you verbalize the count? :givebeer::beerbang:cheers:

Edited by wek29
Typo