hi heat no catcher

RC@54OUTS
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4358 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I work high end pony baseball where several pitchers can hit low eighties. Problem is no catching. And at 54 ft it's coming hot. Last year I got a concussion and had to X-ray my forearm. No bat, no glove and no dirt. Mechanics are fine but as I said no catcher. Curious to hear solutions other than call it from behind the pitcher. And I have done that.

And at 54 ft it's coming hot.

Its not coming any faster at 54 feet than it is at 60 feet but I do simpathize with your situation. If your the senior guy then take the plate when its good catching and give it to your partner when its not. lol

Grab the catcher's chest protector straps and use him as a balloon.

Careful, I mentioned that I knew umpires who have done that on another forum and got a whole lot of grief about it. I can't deny I've been tempted to do this, though!

Grab the catcher's chest protector straps and use him as a balloon.

Careful, I mentioned that I knew umpires who have done that on another forum and got a whole lot of grief about it. I can't deny I've been tempted to do this, though!

Some of the grief you caught were from guys on this site too. I commented on that thread. As for suggestions, use the scissors stance and hide behind F2 better. If he goes out you go out. Is this a 1 man crew?

No it's two man. Most of time getting hit is when the catcher swing way outside and the pitcher busts one inside. Like these guys can spot pitches. So one thing to do is call a catchers balk. I had a varsity game and the catcher was left handed. Second time in my career. That was fun. Odds are against you when most batters are right handed. This guy would also set up outside. I asked the coach if he had problems for the first two or so innings getting strikes called. And as a matter of fact he did. So the light went on and his catcher never set up out there again. Thank God!!

Last night in 9-10 Dixie, the first pitch on the 1/2 inning, it's a high fast ball (ok its not really that fast) catcher doesn't even move, bang right in to the shoulder of my Douglas/Douglas. The catcher who is normally a very good catcher looks up at me and says sorry I didn't see it. I say ok, good this I have my gear on and asked him to pay attenchin. I dont change anything because of catching. I will tell the catcher my strike zone will be better if I'm not getting hit all the time. I think that helps some.... Good Luck out the Blue

How would you call a catchers balk? The catchers box is really pretty small but he can move anywhere he needs to catch a ball after the pitcher releases the ball. But when he locks in low and away in the next batters box before the pitch then you have it. It's the only thing in the book that can help. Heck if I knew he could come back hi and inside to catch the ball before my face does, no problem. We're down to drawing straws. Short one loses. Besides that I agree, don't skimp on the gear!! I just got my Wendy pads and love them.

How would you call a catchers balk? The catchers box is really pretty small but he can move anywhere he needs to catch a ball after the pitcher releases the ball. But when he locks in low and away in the next batters box before the pitch then you have it. It's the only thing in the book that can help. Heck if I knew he could come back hi and inside to catch the ball before my face does, no problem. We're down to drawing straws. Short one loses. Besides that I agree, don't skimp on the gear!! I just got my Wendy pads and love them.

If you're talking PONY there's no balk except for out of the box during an intentional BOB. And by convention we use TOP instead of release and ignore minor infractions.

If your talking FED the catcher can be out of the box at TOP not release. Not a call we go looking for.

I catch and am not the best and have accidently got umpires hit many times. One time the ump asked me what I had on my left hand (a glove) and after my response, told me that was the only difference in our equiptment and that I had one so it is my responsibility to protect him. He didnt get hit any more

You cant really eject a catcher from being bad, but i think letting the catcher know he is letting you get hit motivates them more

I catch and am not the best and have accidently got umpires hit many times. One time the ump asked me what I had on my left hand (a glove) and after my response, told me that was the only difference in our equiptment and that I had one so it is my responsibility to protect him. He didnt get hit any more

You cant really eject a catcher from being bad, but i think letting the catcher know he is letting you get hit motivates them more

I use this approach often. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not :crybaby2:

If he moves way outside, you could always go with him and call a few "inside" pitches balls and tell him it's hard to see the inside corner from way over there. He'll get it pretty quick.

When I get a catcher moving way outside, I will stay in the slot but make sure I am very square to the pitcher and more conscious to keep elbows tucked and hands protected. You will still get hit, but do what you can to minimize un-protected hits.