Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5495 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello all,I recently purchased the Wilson charcoal chest protector but ended up exchanging it for the Wilson charcoal leg guards. I'm currently trying to decide whether to buy the charcoal or the platinum. What is the $80 or so differnce between the two? They look very similar up close,and would like some gidance on the two protectors,as this will be my first set of equipment. I'm looking to work pony baseball and above. Thanks in advance!

  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

For some reason, catalog pictures are always so one-dimensional. I prefer the guy-actually-wearing-the-gear shot like the ones that Jim has at Ump-Attire.

Platinum:

a3215-front-z.jpg

Charcoal:

a3417-front-z.jpg

But for the color, they are quite different. The Platinum has fewer gaps and smaller gaps, which are important if you're facing 80-plus stuff. If you are doing high-level ball, you will appreciate the extra clavicle, sternum and rib protection of the Platinum. If you're doing lower-level ball, the Charcoal is actually more than enough protection, because when a ball hits a gap at lower speeds, it doesn't cave the edges of the plates in like higher velocity pitches. The plates and pads on the Charcoal are of the same grade as the Platinum, but the Platinum has more plates, and somewhat better overall protection.

Even though the umpire guy looks happier wearing the Charcoal, check them each more carefully. Take a good look at those wrap-around, one-piece clavicle plates on the Platinum. The first really good collarbone shot will be well worth extra $60, I assure you.

Now, come on everyone, assure this guy!

Posted

For some reason, catalog pictures are always so one-dimensional. I prefer the guy-actually-wearing-the-gear shot like the ones that Jim has at Ump-Attire.

Platinum:

Charcoal:

But for the color, they are quite different. The Platinum has fewer gaps and smaller gaps, which are important if you're facing 80-plus stuff. If you are doing high-level ball, you will appreciate the extra clavicle, sternum and rib protection of the Platinum. If you're doing lower-level ball, the Charcoal is actually more than enough protection, because when a ball hits a gap at lower speeds, it doesn't cave the edges of the plates in like higher velocity pitches. The plates and pads on the Charcoal are of the same grade as the Platinum, but the Platinum has more plates, and somewhat better overall protection.

Even though the umpire guy looks happier wearing the Charcoal, check them each more carefully. Take a good look at those wrap-around, one-piece clavicle plates on the Platinum. The first really good collarbone shot will be well worth extra $60, I assure you.

Now, come on everyone, assure this guy!

If this response ^^^^^ isn't the PERFECT example of why coming to this site is the best, ...I don't know what is!! :clap::D:hi5:

Posted (edited)

Until someone does something better the Wilson Gold and Platinum are the standards of hard shell CP's. The Charcoal model is not as good as either of these for the previous stated reasons. My advise (not what I did) is buy the best and buy it once. This is the cheapest way in the long run. The Gold and Platinum hold their value. The others not nearly as much. You will never regret having too much protection.

I thought about buying a charcoal last spring for LL games. Liked the lower profile. Then I heard that Douglas had a few remaining in stock. Bought one of those instead and have not been sorry.

Best of luck.

Edited by boyinr
Posted

I will be the one desenter. While the pads are better on the Platinum I have never been hit in the side pads. As long as you wear the charcoal correctly the clavicle and sternum is well protected. I really like the pictures that Kevin posted, it is the best side by side comparison I have seen. If you can afford the Platinum then certainly buy it. If you can't I don't see a problem with the charcoal. I personally have owned two charcoals and use them up through D1 and adult baseball that includes ex minor and MLB pitchers. My knock on the platinum is it seems to be a little shorter on the torso.

In another thread UIC posted that a company was saying that they are interchanable and this is simply not true. There are very real differences and you need to make an informed decision on which to buy. The charcoal has an extra arm pad the the platinum doesn't have but most take it off anyway.

Posted

I have used the Charcoal for just about a year now.

I have worked Youth, High School and Adult Ball with it.

I have not felt a single shot it has taken.

I highly recommend it.

Posted

Please don't forget to throw the Douglas in here as well. Keeping in mind, Douglas built the first West Vest, ...they KNOW what they're doing ;)

If you don't want to wear the "W" .........the Douglas is the way!

Posted

Gentlemen, with all due respect, it's batter to be safe and sure than lucky.

Is that a typo in a Finnerty post? There is a first time for everything.

Posted

I thought he was making a cake or something...kind of threw me off ;)

The platinum is shorter in the torso and that is one reason why I will not buy it. The charcoal is longer and like someone said earlier, lose the arm extensions! Yes it hurts, but you are not going to get hurt by taking a shot there. Properly fitted both should be solid protectors for HS thru Little League. I know guys who use both and they swear by them. Either of these CP are going to be better than spending money on a soft-shell that might save you a few dollars but will be replaced after your first REAL shot to the chest....

Posted

I wore a Charcoal for three h.s. games about 12 years ago. Took a slow curveball off the collarbone area that hurt. I was angry after the game and my partner asked me how much. I took $20, wished him luck, and bought a Douglas.

The Charcoal definitely isn't in the top tier of CPs or it would cost twice as much. At the same time, it is a vast improvement over a ribbed or most soft-shelled CPs.

Check out the recent threads on here of Platinums that have sold on ebay. If you can scrape up the cash to buy one, you can wear it and then sell it for more than the Charcoal will cost you to begin with.

Posted (edited)

Check out the recent threads on here of Platinums that have sold on ebay. If you can scrape up the cash to buy one, you can wear it and then sell it for more than the Charcoal will cost you to begin with.

Great point! A quick sweep of ebay produced a platinum sitting @ $75

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?campid=5336527734&customid=&toolid=10004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D160474969182%09==

Edited by Umpire in Chief
Posted (edited)

Thank you all for the great replies! One of my concerns is the length of the platinum. The charcoal only comes in one size '13. I had originally purchased the charcoal, it looked like a good piece of equipment, but returned it soon after. I have never worn a CP as this will be my first time umpiring. I am 5'8 and 175lbs, and I'm looking something that will have a good fit as well.

Edited by sgvump
Posted

Thank you all for the great replies! One of my concerns is the length of the platinum. The charcoal only comes in one size '13. I had originally purchased the charcoal, it looked like a good piece of equipment, but returned it soon after. I have never worn a CP as this will be my first time umpiring. I am 5'8 and 175lbs, and I'm looking something that will have a good fit as well.

I am 5'9, 165

Been using the Charcoal for a year.

Youth, High School and Adult.

Love the fit and have never felt a shot in it.

It will take a little time to mold to you.

Once it does it will be very comfortable.

Remove the BiCep pads they are not needed

Posted

Remember when it comes to length you're not trying to protect your gut. You need the protection over the boney areas, so make sure it covers both your clavicle and your bottom rib well.

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for the great replies! One of my concerns is the length of the platinum. The charcoal only comes in one size '13. I had originally purchased the charcoal, it looked like a good piece of equipment, but returned it soon after. I have never worn a CP as this will be my first time umpiring. I am 5'8 and 175lbs, and I'm looking something that will have a good fit as well.

I am 5'-8" and 180. The 13.5" platinum is perfect. I compared and it is the exact same length as my 13" Douglas. The CP covers the bottom ribs with out being too long. I don't know if I would recommend the shorter model to you. A lot of guys bigger than us wear this and the Gold. I believe the Gold only comes in a 12" model.

Edited by boyinr
Posted

If you properly wear the charcoal it does protect your clvicle and sternum. I can attest if not worn properly it will get you hurt. I didn't tape off my adjustments when I first bought my second one and got wacked. It slipped very little but enough. I quickly got it adjusted, taped and never looked back.

I am extremely happy with it but a CP is a very personal choice so it is still up to you. Personally you couldn't pay me to wear a Gold but some guys swear by it. It is a good protector and if it fits you correctly go for it. I wore one for two games and said I would wait for my new protector to come in. I turned games down instead of wearing it. Again, personal opinion. I also agree that Douglas is an excellent choice.

Posted (edited)

If you properly wear the charcoal it does protect your clvicle and sternum. I can attest if not worn properly it will get you hurt. I didn't tape off my adjustments when I first bought my second one and got wacked. It slipped very little but enough. I quickly got it adjusted, taped and never looked back.

I am extremely happy with it but a CP is a very personal choice so it is still up to you. Personally you couldn't pay me to wear a Gold but some guys swear by it. It is a good protector and if it fits you correctly go for it. I wore one for two games and said I would wait for my new protector to come in. I turned games down instead of wearing it. Again, personal opinion. I also agree that Douglas is an excellent choice.

If you properly wear the Charcoal, the clavicle protection is still inferior to the Platinum, period! It is vastly inferior, in fact. I gave a photo comparison, and the single greatest or most significant difference is the Platinum's superior clavicle protection. If you haven't had a problem, that's great! It does not mean it is adequate for working games with high velocity pitching, and it does not mean that everyone wishes to rely on luck rather than over-standard protection.

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

×
×
  • Create New...