Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5133 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Just received my box from Ump-Attire.

First impressions of the System7:

I liked the way it felt with the delta harness. It was quite comfortable and I didnt have a problem with any pinching around the neck. However I did have an issue with the shoulder pads. They made me look like Herman Munster... and Im young enough to have never seen an episode that wasnt played on Nick-At-Night. Im going to try it on a couple more times over the next couple days before making my decision. But I have a feeling I will be sticking with the WV Gold I got on the same order... and buying a Delta-Flex harness to go along with it.

Also was not a fan of the clips. The T-Hooks are much more sturdy.

Posted

Just received my box from Ump-Attire.

First impressions of the System7:

I liked the way it felt with the delta harness. It was quite comfortable and I didnt have a problem with any pinching around the neck. However I did have an issue with the shoulder pads. They made me look like Herman Munster... and Im young enough to have never seen an episode that wasnt played on Nick-At-Night. Im going to try it on a couple more times over the next couple days before making my decision. But I have a feeling I will be sticking with the WV Gold I got on the same order... and buying a Delta-Flex harness to go along with it.

Also was not a fan of the clips. The T-Hooks are much more sturdy.

You need to adjust the shoulder pads (not the caps) but the actual shoulders. Drop them by loosening the strap under the shoulder padding. Take the padding off ...loosen straps. I loosen them so you can see both silver rivets of the shoulder cap just on the edge of the gap-cap. This allows both so sit lower.

Also, ... your rig may be sitting higher because of the shoulder curve. Make sure that curve actually fits you. Adjust if needed. If it doesn't fit properly, it'll sit too high

Posted

Jeff-

How do you adjust the shoulder curve. My shoulders are thick from front to back, thanks football, I have noticed when I pull down on the collar of the CP it will sit down on my shoulders but slides up as the CP goes back to it's original curve....make since?

Posted

Jeff-

How do you adjust the shoulder curve. My shoulders are thick from front to back, thanks football, I have noticed when I pull down on the collar of the CP it will sit down on my shoulders but slides up as the CP goes back to it's original curve....make since?

I'd just keep working it ...maybe put like a basketball in each side when it gets warm. Having the plastic get warm will help a lot .... I would think just pulling it into shape wouldn't do enough

Posted

I put a basketball in the neck and that did help open it up. Don't get me wrong I love this thing. Every time we get a slight breeze you can feel the air moving up the air channel and it's like someone tuned on the AC! I have yet to take a real shot with it but I did get hit with a HSM last night. Catcher just flung the dang thing straight back. Coach saw it happen and asked if i was OK...I simply tapped my fingers on the CP hard enough to hear and he understood what I saying. I have thought about pulling the neck open with a basketball then drilling holes in the overlapping plates and riveting them in that open position. Problem I see with that is you can't get behind the plastic plate to install the rivet plus it would leave a shape edge protruding.

This thing will take a bit to line out and get it where I want it, but I have no doubt about the protection it offers.

Posted

The change that Jeff suggested will help but this protector does still fit a bit differently and with my shorter neck I look my head is just placed on my shoulders. For the protection and the fit though, I really don't mind it. I'm still tweaking the adjustments some but it's a keeper in my book.

Posted

Im a big fan of my WVP. It provides excellent protection as is right out of the box. Im not sure you want to be adjusting and making design changes to offer either more comfort or more protection. More importantly, why would anyone want to remove any padding at all. Just my opinion. i think you cant go wrong with any wilson product. I cant imagine a product that provides better protection that MLB wouldnt be using. I understand the issue of Licensed products. But it seems that from what I ve read, the WVG or WVP are the two premier Cp's out there. I base this on numerous blogs on this site as well as others.

balls and strikes baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

I tried the platinum and it didn't cover my ribs enough for my comfort. With any CP there are going to be adjustments to the straps necessary to make them fit properly.

Posted

What's the deal with the deltoid removable pads? I removed them after going around the house for 1/2 an hour and whenever I threw a ball back to the pitcher they would pop out and be uncomfortable. Any thoughts? (on the allstar)

Posted

What's the deal with the deltoid removable pads? I removed them after going around the house for 1/2 an hour and whenever I threw a ball back to the pitcher they would pop out and be uncomfortable. Any thoughts? (on the allstar)

Maybe they're just not attached to enough of the velcro strip. I didn't like the low location they came in and moved up nearer the shoulder joint, much better positioning. Still not the protection of the flap on my previous Gold, but acceptable.

Posted

Im a big fan of my WVP. It provides excellent protection as is right out of the box. Im not sure you want to be adjusting and making design changes to offer either more comfort or more protection. More importantly, why would anyone want to remove any padding at all. Just my opinion. i think you cant go wrong with any wilson product. I cant imagine a product that provides better protection that MLB wouldnt be using. I understand the issue of Licensed products. But it seems that from what I ve read, the WVG or WVP are the two premier Cp's out there. I base this on numerous blogs on this site as well as others.

balls and strikes baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

semper,

The adjustments being made are like anyone else would do based on fit. Everyone is different, and everyone will fit into certain CPs differently. That said, ...you're only making adjustments to PERSONALLY FIT your CP, ..you're not "changing it" so to speak.

Also, ... the comment on removing padding is so you can adjust the straps on the shoulders to personally fit your CP. It's been stated many times that you replace the padding when you're done. Fit is one thing, ...removing padding is another ;)

The Wilson stuff is the MLB approved equipment because Wilson paid for it, and Joe West is behind the CPs. I'm not knocking them, but let's be real....THAT is a HUGE factor in why the MLB guys wear the big ugly "W"

Posted

Im a big fan of my WVP. It provides excellent protection as is right out of the box. Im not sure you want to be adjusting and making design changes to offer either more comfort or more protection. More importantly, why would anyone want to remove any padding at all. Just my opinion. i think you cant go wrong with any wilson product. I cant imagine a product that provides better protection that MLB wouldnt be using. I understand the issue of Licensed products. But it seems that from what I ve read, the WVG or WVP are the two premier Cp's out there. I base this on numerous blogs on this site as well as others.

balls and strikes baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

semper,

The adjustments being made are like anyone else would do based on fit. Everyone is different, and everyone will fit into certain CPs differently. That said, ...you're only making adjustments to PERSONALLY FIT your CP, ..you're not "changing it" so to speak.

Also, ... the comment on removing padding is so you can adjust the straps on the shoulders to personally fit your CP. It's been stated many times that you replace the padding when you're done. Fit is one thing, ...removing padding is another ;)

The Wilson stuff is the MLB approved equipment because Wilson paid for it, and Joe West is behind the CPs. I'm not knocking them, but let's be real....THAT is a HUGE factor in why the MLB guys wear the big ugly "W"

Do you really believe that? A ton of guys still wear the Power. I think a lot wear the Wilson stuff because they think it protects them the best. Im sure they get it for free, but those guys are making 6 figures I dont think a $150 chest protector is a huge issue for them.

I know, I know what you are saying, though.

Posted

Im a big fan of my WVP. It provides excellent protection as is right out of the box. Im not sure you want to be adjusting and making design changes to offer either more comfort or more protection. More importantly, why would anyone want to remove any padding at all. Just my opinion. i think you cant go wrong with any wilson product. I cant imagine a product that provides better protection that MLB wouldnt be using. I understand the issue of Licensed products. But it seems that from what I ve read, the WVG or WVP are the two premier Cp's out there. I base this on numerous blogs on this site as well as others.

balls and strikes baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

semper,

The adjustments being made are like anyone else would do based on fit. Everyone is different, and everyone will fit into certain CPs differently. That said, ...you're only making adjustments to PERSONALLY FIT your CP, ..you're not "changing it" so to speak.

Also, ... the comment on removing padding is so you can adjust the straps on the shoulders to personally fit your CP. It's been stated many times that you replace the padding when you're done. Fit is one thing, ...removing padding is another ;)

The Wilson stuff is the MLB approved equipment because Wilson paid for it, and Joe West is behind the CPs. I'm not knocking them, but let's be real....THAT is a HUGE factor in why the MLB guys wear the big ugly "W"

Do you really believe that? A ton of guys still wear the Power. I think a lot wear the Wilson stuff because they think it protects them the best. Im sure they get it for free, but those guys are making 6 figures I dont think a $150 chest protector is a huge issue for them.

I know, I know what you are saying, though.

You missed my point. I see where I wasn't clear, ...let me correct myself. When I said "THAT is a HUGE factor in why the MLB guys wear the big ugly "W" I actually meant that's why Wilson is MLBs exclusive. I'm not saying that it's not good protection. What I'm saying is, ...Wilson has the contract because they paid for it,...they shelled the money to get the exclusive. I'm not saying it's not good protection. But, they paid for the MLB contract. And Joe West's patent on the Wilson stuff didn't hurt the situation ;)

Posted

Im a big fan of my WVP. It provides excellent protection as is right out of the box. Im not sure you want to be adjusting and making design changes to offer either more comfort or more protection. More importantly, why would anyone want to remove any padding at all. Just my opinion. i think you cant go wrong with any wilson product. I cant imagine a product that provides better protection that MLB wouldnt be using. I understand the issue of Licensed products. But it seems that from what I ve read, the WVG or WVP are the two premier Cp's out there. I base this on numerous blogs on this site as well as others.

balls and strikes baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

semper,

The adjustments being made are like anyone else would do based on fit. Everyone is different, and everyone will fit into certain CPs differently. That said, ...you're only making adjustments to PERSONALLY FIT your CP, ..you're not "changing it" so to speak.

Also, ... the comment on removing padding is so you can adjust the straps on the shoulders to personally fit your CP. It's been stated many times that you replace the padding when you're done. Fit is one thing, ...removing padding is another ;)

The Wilson stuff is the MLB approved equipment because Wilson paid for it, and Joe West is behind the CPs. I'm not knocking them, but let's be real....THAT is a HUGE factor in why the MLB guys wear the big ugly "W"

Do you really believe that? A ton of guys still wear the Power. I think a lot wear the Wilson stuff because they think it protects them the best. Im sure they get it for free, but those guys are making 6 figures I dont think a $150 chest protector is a huge issue for them.

I know, I know what you are saying, though.

You missed my point. I see where I wasn't clear, ...let me correct myself. When I said "THAT is a HUGE factor in why the MLB guys wear the big ugly "W" I actually meant that's why Wilson is MLBs exclusive. I'm not saying that it's not good protection. What I'm saying is, ...Wilson has the contract because they paid for it,...they shelled the money to get the exclusive. I'm not saying it's not good protection. But, they paid for the MLB contract. And Joe West's patent on the Wilson stuff didn't hurt the situation ;)

I know what youre saying. I think if nothing else changed except if Wilson did not have the deal with MLB, that most of us & MLB guys would still wear the Wilson stuff.

If Joe didnt have a patent on that stuff, then I agree we probably wouldnt as there would be lower priced alternatives out there for us to choose from.

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

So, after a few weeks of the All-Star, I'm still very impressed with it, but not quite as convinced that I should have sold my Gold so fast.

Overall, I still believe the All-Star is the better choice for me. The Gold just didn't cover all my ribs - and that was a deal breaker. And it sagged a bit as well. I'm sure I could have fixed that with a Delta Flex, but I didn't want to hassle with cutting any straps and it wouldn't have solved the rib issue anyway. But the Gold was more comfortable and more form-fitting. Maybe it's the thicker padding. Plus, the Gold had a better, more protective flap covering the gap between the pecs on the chest and the shoulder joint. It's probably no big deal, but I appreciated it.

The All-Star does seem cooler with the center slot. It feels sleeker and has MUCH better lower rib coverage. It fits right out of the box and I find I can keep the straps looser - and keep me cooler - with the pre-curved shoulders. It still rides a tad tight around the neck but is improving. I'm not a thick-necked guy, so that's never really bothered me much. The protection is solid, a couple hard fouls didn't hurt at all. But I did feel a bit of pressure, nothing at all uncomfortable, just noticeable. With the Gold, I've had foul balls that I heard but barely felt at all.

All in all, the All-Star was the better choice for me. But it's not a blowout by any means.

  • 3 months later...
Posted

UPS delivered my AS System 7 today. First impression is it is quite substantial. Comparable to my WV Gold. Love the Delta Flex Harness. The shoulders are cupped so it seems like it will stay put, once adjusted properly. Doesn't seem as bulky or imposing as gold. Thanks to UE, I got it for a sweetheart of a deal. It's brand new, never worn. I have been wearing a champion P210 15" and I love it. Great CP for the $. This All Star may be my new #1 and I'll have 3 in the rotation. I've taken some serious shots with the gold and no bruising. Hope this one earns the same level of trust.

  • Like 1
Posted

I love the System 7. I think you will too. Of the three I have have it is my favorite. The best thing I can say about this CP is once you get it adjusted it stays where it should and you never think about it again until you are back at the car.

  • Like 1
Posted

I have at least 2 plates Sunday. I'm gonna test drive it.

2 plates ? Out of 5 games ? Plate dodger. :rolleyes:

AT LEAST 2 plates. Never worked w/ Drew, so don't know how he likes to rotate the dish. Smart a$$. :P
×
×
  • Create New...