Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4466 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I received a catalog from Purchase Officials with my order the other day and while flipping through it, I noticed that they had Smitty Polywools listed for about $55. They had the expander waist band like their other models and advertised an 80% poly / 20% wool blend.

The interesting thing is that there is nothing on the Smitty website nor the Purchase Official's website about these.

Does anybody have any more information about these pants?

Posted

Bikerider.

These are not the same. UA are selling the same pants as Honigs except they added the expander. They are both made by Hardwicks. The Smitty's are made by who knows? If they are like every other Smitty pants, I will pass....tight in the thigh.

Posted

Wonder if those are the same ones that Ump-Attire is selling? They sell a lot of Smitty clothing (I bought 4 pair of pants and over half a dozen shirts from them).

I can confirm that the Ump-Attire.com poly-wools are made by Hardwicks. I'll try to have my review of them out before the end of the week.

Posted

The Smitty Polywools are not made by Hardwicks. I had a chance to see the Smity Polywools at the NCAA clinic this year. I was not impressed. They do not match in shade or texture to the Honig's or Ump-attire. For $55, I would stay away and add $10 and go get the hardwick's

  • Like 1
Posted

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like Smitty is trying to jump on the PW bandwagon with a lower-tier product.

Of course they are...if I recall, another company tried and failed too.

Posted

The Smitty knock-offs of the Majestic MLB shirt and the Therma Base jacket are pretty damned good. I would have thought that they would make a decent polywool knock-off.

I would have thought so too. But they were noticably diffrent. The cut and style are exactly the same as their current non-polywool pants, but made out of polywool material. The polywool material reminded me of some old sansabelt pants from sears. :)

Posted

Sansabelts were my first-ever pair of umpire slacks. They were actual umpire slacks with belt loops and a saddle seat, and they were the forerunner to the Smittys. When we went to charcoal gray is when I tried them all, and Smitty's 2008-09 version was among the worst. They upgraded from that version, but apparently they still have a little way to go.

Posted

That is a bit odd. Smitty pants are the closest match in non-pw pants you can buy. Odd that the PW might not be close.

I agree my Charcoal Smitty and very close on color to my Honigs PW. I can't really tell a difference.

Posted

we still wear heather gray ...and to be honest the smitty pants are very good.. i have three pairs and am very happy with them..for the price they are very good value. my best pants by far in heather gray are my 5 year old honigs plate and base heather gray pants...wish honigs would make the heather gray in poly again

Posted

The Smitty Polywools are not made by Hardwicks. I had a chance to see the Smity Polywools at the NCAA clinic this year. I was not impressed. They do not match in shade or texture to the Honig's or Ump-attire. For $55, I would stay away and add $10 and go get the hardwick's

Great, except it's $22 more, not $10, for the Ump-Attire PWs.
  • 10 months later...
×
×
  • Create New...