New mask

Triguy29
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4456 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm geting a new mask for this season. Which is better the Allstar FM4000ump or the diamond ultralight? Any experiences with either would be appreciated.

I'm partial to the FM4000, although, I haven't really heard anyone say anything bad about the Diamond either .......

The All-Star just looks better too :D

CAVEAT: The above is not to say one is better than the other, but ...I don't see a video for Diamond doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9F_fCriJWg

I have worn the both the FM4000 and the Diamond. Both weigh about the same +/- an ounce. I liked the Diamond okay but the pads are next to junk IMO. I was lucky enough that someone bought my mistake. I have worn the FM4000 for two cage sessions and absolutely love it. It will be my primary mask this season. During the last session I took a foul ball off the chin hard enough to tear the throat gaurd off. I was fine and continued on. No residual pains or headaches.

Some retailers sell the catchers vesrion for about $20 less than the umpires version. According to All Star the only difference is the harness. So order a traditional harness at the same time and save $10 net. Then sell the neoprene harness on ebay. That what I did with my All Star titanium.

I have heard one person say that the rough texture of the Diamond mask snagged their shirt when they had their mask off and tucked under their arm. I have also heard of them actually damaging a baseball. An umpire friend of mine has one and I like it alot. I almost ordered one for myself until I read/saw the reviews on the All Star. I'm pretty sure SWMBO is getting me one for my birthday on Tuesday!

I have heard one person say that the rough texture of the Diamond mask snagged their shirt when they had their mask off and tucked under their arm. I have also heard of them actually damaging a baseball. An umpire friend of mine has one and I like it alot. I almost ordered one for myself until I read/saw the reviews on the All Star. I'm pretty sure SWMBO is getting me one for my birthday on Tuesday!

Should get the belt clip for your mask, there would be no problem

I have heard one person say that the rough texture of the Diamond mask snagged their shirt when they had their mask off and tucked under their arm. I have also heard of them actually damaging a baseball. An umpire friend of mine has one and I like it alot. I almost ordered one for myself until I read/saw the reviews on the All Star. I'm pretty sure <acronym title='She who must be obeyed'>SWMBO</acronym> is getting me one for my birthday on Tuesday!

I REALLY hope you're kidding!!!

• Like 1

I have heard one person say that the rough texture of the Diamond mask snagged their shirt when they had their mask off and tucked under their arm. I have also heard of them actually damaging a baseball. An umpire friend of mine has one and I like it alot. I almost ordered one for myself until I read/saw the reviews on the All Star. I'm pretty sure <acronym title='She who must be obeyed'>SWMBO</acronym> is getting me one for my birthday on Tuesday!

I REALLY hope you're kidding!!!

If you are not kidding, then take it back or you are never allowed to attend one of the umpire schools until you do. I am just trying to help.

• Like 1

I've got the Diamond mask and something's snagging my shirts as well - not sure if it's the frame or the Wilson Wrap-Arounds (velcro?). Interesting to hear that someone else is having this problem too. I just don't see how it could be the frame, since the front of my mask faces my sleeve, but it's not the sleeve that's messed up - it's the side of the shirt. I think I'm going to get some Team Wendy pads and see if that helps.

Also, I'd be curious to know what kind of shirts they were wearing. The Smitty and Ump-Attire shirts snag real bad. The old Honigs' were fine, but the new Honigs' snag some, but not as bad as the others.

HM that's strange, I've heard one of the big pluses of the Ump Attire shirts is that they did not snag much at all. Not that I'm doubting you but that is the first I've heard of that.

The Ump-Attire is actually the worst shirt for me. It snagged noticeably the first time I wore it. It was actually the first shirt I noticed snagging, so I assumed it was just a bad shirt. I got it replaced and the next one snagged the first time I wore it too...

I don't think it's an issue with the shirt per se, more with my mask.

• Like 1

The silver Diamond does have a rough finish. I got clocked last year, and it tore several stitches from a ball. It was actually pretty cool.

All pads have velcro on them, so I doubt it's a velco issue.

I've never noticed an problem with my shirts, and I wear just about every flavor in the book.

I've had some problems with shirts nagging this year as well. Mine was mainly caused by a rough spot on my mask. A dremmel took care of the rust spot

This is my first year wearing the ump attire Ultimate shirt but I have noticed they seem to snag worse than any other brand.

They do not seem to like Velcro very much

I have not the same problem with the football and basketball ultimate shirts. They are great.

The snagging may not have been the shirts fault. I also had a smitty shirt snag bad this year. The snags were probably cause by the burr on the mask and the Velcro on my ultimate belt.

I really like the ultimate baseball shirts and I hope I have located And fixed the cause of my problem.

Oh man my wife is going to kill me. She gave me the ok to buy the mask but when I went online I saw the West Vest and I was getting 20%off so I had to order that as well. Oh well, as long as I can get my mask and CP on before she starts throwing stuff I'll be ok.

Oh man my wife is going to kill me. She gave me the ok to buy the mask but when I went online I saw the West Vest and I was getting 20%off so I had to order that as well. Oh well, as long as I can get my mask and CP on before she starts throwing stuff I'll be ok.

Trig,

Tell her you'll give her your first 2 game fees, ........boom, you're set! :hi5:

Oh man my wife is going to kill me. She gave me the ok to buy the mask but when I went online I saw the West Vest and I was getting 20%off so I had to order that as well. Oh well, as long as I can get my mask and <acronym title='Chest protector'>CP </acronym>on before she starts throwing stuff I'll be ok.

Explain to her the WV is an investment in your health and well being and that due to the quality you will have the very best gear protecting you from potential harm. Lay this line on her over dinner after a couple of glasses of wine and I promise it might work. People have gotten away with far worse using this same technique.

This is the exact reason I have a separate account funded solely by umpire game fees. I dip into it for her benefit often enough that that doesn't question anything that I buy.

• Like 1

That is sage advice from boyinr. Sure you spent more than you planned but it is an investment. Being mindful of your wife and showing her extra consideration in other places will help soften the blow when you buy an extra piece of gear or pick up a last minute twin bill on a Saturday afternoon.

Oh man my wife is going to kill me. She gave me the ok to buy the mask but when I went online I saw the West Vest and I was getting 20%off so I had to order that as well. Oh well, as long as I can get my mask and <acronym title='Chest protector'>CP </acronym>on before she starts throwing stuff I'll be ok.

Explain to her the WV is an investment in your health and well being and that due to the quality you will have the very best gear protecting you from potential harm. Lay this line on her over dinner after a couple of glasses of wine and I promise it might work. People have gotten away with far worse using this same technique.

This is the exact reason I have a separate account funded solely by umpire game fees. I dip into it for her benefit often enough that that doesn't question anything that I buy.

When I bought my new WV, I showed her the Youtube video of the umpire getting drilled with it and not even flinching!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBU-SKpyA-Y

She never questioned it after that.