Exchange with Coach....

Stan W.
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5048 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

First off........dont do this........I preach it and I teach it, but today i didnt heed my own advice....

14 yr old PONY level game...fairly uneventful, home team wins rather handily....in this league, the umpires have to sign the books after the game....each umpire takes one book to sign...Home coach with book hands me the book and says....

C: you missed that call at first...

Me: what call

C: the one at first

me: which base?

C: at first...

me: what call?

C: the one at first....

me:I made 20 calls at first...

C: the one where you called that kid safe?

me: what safe call?

C: the one at first...

me: I made 10 safe calls at first...:smachhead:

C: the safe call on the bunt...

me: which bunt?

about then the light bulb goes off in coaches head........

Im not discussing any calls..............

C: well he was out on that play anyway....

me: what play?....

dont do this, dont do this ,dont do this......

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off........dont do this........I preach it and I teach it, but today i didnt heed my own advice....

14 yr old PONY level game...fairly uneventful, home team wins rather handily....in this league, the umpires have to sign the books after the game....each umpire takes one book to sign...Home coach with book hands me the book and says....

me: I made 10 safe calls at first...:smachhead:

That's good stuff. Add that to list of conversations that we all want to have with coaches, but know we can't.

Thats why i hate Leagues, that make you sign stuff after game. It just can cause problems ,

I was taught game over LEAVE[/quote

]

And in all cases , that is preferable........yet, we do have customers to please....

In this league we sign the books.....

yet, my assocation turned down a league that had wanted umpires fill out a form that listed the following information in order to get paid:

Date:

Game:

Score:

Home Coach Signature:

Away Coach Signature:

NOT....

Signing the book is SOP for all the leagues (youth) I've worked as most of scorekeepers are volunteers/volun-tolds, usually from home team, so league wants our signatures to make it "official" as well as to document our participation.

But as far as Stan's exchange, it happens and I understand completely.

Worked a real close 14U game last week...good pitcher's duel w/ lots of folks in the stands and lots of energy. Top of the first was done in 4 pitches and we breezed through the first 2 innings in 16 minutes!!!

There I was...

Top of the 4th, score tied at 3-3...one out w/ R3.

Pitch comes in low, skips in front of the plate, catcher misses it and it deflects off my right shoe/shinguard. It bounces off backstop and up 3rd base line...R3 scores easily.

HC comes to the front of the dugout and yells, "Blue, did you kick that ball?" :rollinglaugh:

I ignore him as some numb-nuts in the stands yells, "Yeah, he didn't get out of the way!" :rollinglaugh: (This same guy after the game made it a point to tell the folks around him as I walked by that he umpired for 18 yrs! :rollinglaugh: BFD...strap it on buddy and join me on the field!)

Anyway, coach asks again, "Blue, did you kick that ball?"

Couldn't resist....took off my mask, looked over at him...

Me: "You talking about that last pitch?"

HC: "Yeah."

Me: "You mean that last pitch that skipped 2 feet in front of the plate...the one that the catcher missed? Yeah, it hit off my shoe!"

Everybody, including catcher, starts laughing....coach just turns and walks back into the dugout.

Of course, this is the same guy that wanted to argue that the B-R taking a wide turn at 1st on an outfield hit was "running out of the baseline!" :rollinglaugh:

Anyway, VT won 6-4 but it was one of those games I knew my partner and I had nailed...to top it off, the field director and member of the BOD told us we were the best umpires he had seen so far. :rollinglaugh:

But, in hindsight, I could've laid off the pointed and sarcastic barb at the coach.

Oh well...

.in this league, the umpires have to sign the books after the game..

And that's a rule that needs to be changed.

I umpire tournament games in which they give us scorecards to fill out. They want the umpires to keep track of the score plus indicate how many innings each kid pitches (the tournament has pitching regs and a run differential to determine who gets into the Championship round and also for seeding purposes). AFTER the game each coach is required to sign the card.

I personally hate it because now you are INVITING comments which otherwise you would NOT have to engage in ESPECIALLY if the game ends on a controversial call.

I much rather have us take the cards to the TD and let the coaches sign the cards at the TD tent or whatever location but unfortunately that is not the way this tournament runs.

Pete Booth

In one league I do we have to have both coaches sign after the kids shake hands. Here is how it goes everytime:

UMP: Coaches, please sign the card.

HC: Where do I sign?

UMP: Under your name where it says sign.

HC: OK, there you go.

UMP: Please fill in the score coach.

HC: I don't know the score. What was it?

UMP: We don't keep score coach.

HC: "Sara (or other random wifes name who "keeps" the book)! What is the score?

Crowd: Sara, what is the score?

Here comes Sara running out on the field.

Sara: Yeah?!

HC, UMP, VC, etc: What is the score?

Sara: Um Let's see, we had, umm, 3. No that can't be right. Um, 5 we had five they had umm, they go two that last inning, so umm, 2. 5-2 Us. Does that sound right?

HC: Is that right guys?

UMP: We don't keep the score coach.

HC: OK, 5-2. Good game guys, see you later.

VC: So where do I sign?

Everytime.

We have a league that the HT pays the umpires. A couple of coaches seemed to make it as hard as possible to get your pay. We have changed that to pay at the plate meeting or no game. Before you either got cheap shots or you had to chase the coach all over the place to get paid. God forbid if you tossed the manager before you got your check. One coach always paid cash but was famous for only having hundreds so you had to figure how to make a split.

me: I made 10 safe calls at first...:clap:

That's one of the more funny ones I've seen in a while!

This is more venting than anything else, but it's been bugging me and had to get it off my chest...

Worked 2 12U PONY games last night and these were the last games for the teams involved. If the home team (team A) in game #1 wins and home team (team B) in game #2 loses, then team A wins the championship.

So, partner has the plate, I'm BU and we definitely picked up on the tension and energy among coaches, players and fans from pre-game on.

Game stays close and moves along pretty well until the 3rd inning. Unfortunately, the mount for 3rd base was broke so it was just sitting there on the ground...had to call "time" several times to get it re-situated after being dislodged, but no biggie.

R3 and after the pitch, F2 throws to 3rd in attempt to get the runner. Runner makes it back in plenty of time, but when he touched the base w/ his foot, it slid away from him, THEN F5 puts tag on. I call him safe then call "time" to reset the base. Team A coach comes out and tells me the runner should be out because F5 put the tag on while runner was off the base. :bang: I explain to him the runner made it in safe, then dislodged the base...he wants me to check w/ my partner! :bang: :bang:

I told him no because it was an obvious play, was determined by my judgement, of which I had no doubt or reason to question, so I wasn't going to do it, not to mention PU would've had no view of it anyway. So, he gets all wrapped around the axle.

That's not what bothered me, but it was a set-up for what did....

Bottom of 3rd, team A has bases loaded w/ no outs...partner and I acknowledge infield fly rule w/ each other. Sure enough, batter pops one way up but right to short-stop...didn't have to move a step.

Partner and I come across in Dolby stereo, loudly call the infield fly, batter's out in unison before ball even starts coming down. :hi5:

Relative quiet as ball deflects off SS's glove, then to ground, and as ya'll can imagine, all hell breaks loose! Everybody's screaming and all runners start advancing...

SS recovers and throws out R3 at plate.

R2 stops on 3rd for a moment, then steps off as if he's going to start for the dugout while 3rd base coach is yelling that we should call time because it's a dead ball! :WTF

I get myself in position for a play at 3rd.

F2 throws ball back to F1.

The 2W lightbulb in the coach's head (one screaming for time) finally comes on when he's not getting "time" and he sees me set up for a play at 3rd. He yells at runner to get back on base. Runner didn't abandon and gets back to 3rd right before F1 throws over...safe.

Coach calls for time, we grant it and he wants to know what happened. I explain the infield fly rule, batter and R3 are out, 1+1=2, etc.

This is the part that got me...he says, "Well, you yelled it so loud you scared the crap outta the players and they didn't know what to do!" :bang::):FIRE::WTF:)

Say whaaaaaaaat?!?!? Here's your sign!

I just shook my head, turned away and pointed to my partner to resume play. Now I tell ya, I've been yelled at before many times for not calling infield fly loud enough, but that was a first (guess I could've filed this under Announcements/Milestones for a new first)!

And to top it all off, we had to call time toward the end of the game because of a commotion right behind the outfield fence involving alot of people and distracting the players.

Long story short...on the field adjacent to ours there was a 10U Fastpitch game where a batter slung her bat twice...warned the 1st time, ejected 2nd. Apparently, the coach yelled at her about it, so the girl's dad and a couple of his buddies jumped the coach after the game. The cop doing security for the complex and a couple of off-duty cops corralled the assclowns until the sheriff deputies arrived.

So, the poor girl had to deal w/ being ejected, then watching her dad beat up her coach, then watching pop put in a sheriff's cruiser in 'cuffs for a complimentary ride down to the county cooler for assault, not to mention aggravated stupidity. :no:

And we had to finish our game w/ an ambulance, 4 cop cars and 3 guys in 'cuffs just beyond the outfield fence. :TD:

As Brian has quoted, "Oh, the humanity..." :HS

Anyway, thanks for letting me share/vent.

Edited by Big Red

This is the part that got me...he says, "Well, you yelled it so loud you scared the crap outta the players and they didn't know what to do!" :bang::):FIRE::WTF:bang:

That has to be a first! :)

Dear God, where do they get these coaches? :confused::big_no:TD:

From the "I Have Absolutely No Idea How to Coach, So, I'm Just Gonna Figure Out A Way To Make This The Umpires' Fault University" (dot com).

LL has gotten a little toooooo intense for that fellow. Relax and let it go, its LITTLE LEAGUE. Your kid will not play any baseball after high school. They will not be the next Nolan Ryan or Alex Rodriguez. I know you didn't make the big leagues, but don't try to live out your dream through your kid.

LL has gotten a little toooooo intense for that fellow. Relax and let it go, its LITTLE LEAGUE. Your kid will not play any baseball after high school. They will not be the next Nolan Ryan or Alex Rodriguez. I know you didn't make the big leagues, but don't try to live out your dream through your kid.

agree, game last night coach is behind until bottom of 6th when his team goes up by 1. He looks at watch and calls for time. He pulls out the packet of league rules and says we can't start the 7th inning because it wouldn't end before time limit. (rule says you cannot start a new inning if 1st batter would not be pitched to by the time limit) Anway he starts slowly reading each rule out loud. :Horse: We are 5 minutes under time at that point. I smiled and told the coach we'd be happy to listen to every word, but as of now, the time clock has stopped and when he finished we would still be 5 minutes under the time limit. Opposing coach heard, smiled and walked to his players.

Home team lost in the 7th. Who would really want to win a game that way? What's it teaching the kids?