Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4205 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Re: Verbalizing balls

I personally think that when an umpire doesn't verbalize the close ball call, it looks like the pitch froze (or shocked) him. This may not be an issue with the younger ages, but the older players definately notice it.

I tend to disagree. We have 87 Umps in our Association. So far I have only seen 2 of them verbalizing a Ball call. It doesn't look to me like an umpire is frozen.

Posted

I verbalize Balls: it helps my "internal timing": (when I decide on the pitch), and helps me develop a rhythm.

Posted

I tend to disagree. We have 87 Umps in our Association. So far I have only seen 2 of them verbalizing a Ball call. It doesn't look to me like an umpire is frozen.

As with a lot of things I think it's HOW you do it. I work with several guys who do not verbalize balls - there is never any doubt as they do it confidently. They get ready for the next pitch and that's it. Some guys will look like they are about to call a close one and then they don't; I think this is what gets some non-calls questioned.

For the record I do verbalize balls, but do not give location in the call. I worked with a first-time guy a few weeks ago and he called a belt-high pitch "low" :wave: Considering that's all the dugout sees (the height of the pitch, anything else is just speculation) there was some commotion over that. After the game I told him next time a simple "ball" would suffice in that situation :D

Posted

I'm honestly amazed at what I consider to be a very high percentage of guys who do not verbalize 'Ball.'

I don't bark 'em all out (59'ers, backstop bangers, etc...) but I've always been trained to call 'em all out as it does help keep your timing consistent.

20% - really? Wow!:wave:

Posted

20% is awfully high. I don't give location but verbalizing balls has a couple of reasons. As mentioned calling both balls and strikes helps with your timing. It also gets the participants used to a cadence for calls. Last, it helps you from braincramping on a border pitch in a tight part of the game.

Posted (edited)

Well, the percentage can swing the other way by one. I had never called balls before, and this poll started before our season. Having read that it helps with timing, I decided to give it a try, and right off, I felt that it did indeed help my overall timing and rhythm behind the plate.

First game, I think I managed to make myself call them 70-75% of the time, and second game on the stick, I called over 90%.

Last 2 games have been bases, so I haven't worked on it any more. (I only do 2 games/week)

Now, as for how I make my calls...

Called strike = <stand up> "HIKE!" <hammer>,

Called 3rd Strike = <stand up> "HIKE... HEEE!" <chainsaw>

Ball = " ball" in a conversational voice, <no hand signal><stand up>

Swinging strike = <stand up>"strike" in a conversational voice <point to the side>

Edited by catoblue
Posted

Well, the percentage can swing the other way by one. I had never called balls before, and this poll started before our season. Having read that it helps with timing, I decided to give it a try, and right off, I felt that it did indeed help my overall timing and rhythm behind the plate.

First game, I think I managed to make myself call them 70-75% of the time, and second game on the stick, I called over 90%.

Last 2 games have been bases, so I haven't worked on it any more. (I only do 2 games/week)

Now, as for how I make my calls...

Called strike = <stand up> "HIKE!" <hammer>,

Called 3rd Strike = <stand up> "HIKE... HEEE!" <chainsaw>

Ball = " ball" in a conversational voice, <no hand signal><stand up>

Swinging strike = <stand up>"strike" in a conversational voice <point to the side>

You call swinging strikes? I've never done that and have been taught not to.

Posted

The only thing I'll do on a swinging strike is call the third one with a low growling "three" just to let the batter know that his/her at bat is now over.

Posted (edited)

You call swinging strikes? I've never done that and have been taught not to.

I don't "Call" swinging strikes, I simply point to the side and say "strike". The conversational tone is low enough that I doubt anyone other than the batter and catcher can hear me. As with balls (same low conversational tone), I find it helps with my rhythm and timing.

Now, back in my "Norm" days, STRIKE! was my call regardless of called or swinging. That was a few years ago, and I've fixed that.

Edited by catoblue
Posted

I don't "Call" swinging strikes, I simply point to the side and say "strike". The conversational tone is low enough that I doubt anyone other than the batter and catcher can hear me. As with balls (same low conversational tone), I find it helps with my rhythm and timing.

Now, back in my "Norm" days, STRIKE! was my call regardless of called or swinging. That was a few years ago, and I've fixed that.

Gotcha.

Posted

I don't "Call" swinging strikes, I simply point to the side and say "strike". The conversational tone is low enough that I doubt anyone other than the batter and catcher can hear me. As with balls (same low conversational tone), I find it helps with my rhythm and timing.

It might depend on the area / level, but:

1) You needn't say anything on (full) swinging strikes, even in a low conversational tone.

2) Your ball call should be louder than that.

Posted

LL Majors & Minors - no association for guidelines.

I say strike on swinging strikes just for timing & rhythm.

I'll turn the volume on balls up one notch so they can be heard by the benches.

Called strikes can be heard by F8

Posted

I understand where you are coming from, but the reason for not saying anything on a swinging strike is actually due to you not wanting to show the batter up. That's why they preach to you not to call a strike when the batter swings.

Posted

You are supposed to call virtually every ball and do so in a nearly identical tone each time, except if the pitch is a no-brainer (in the dirt, a foot over your head). You don't really call out the no-brainers like the other 95 percent, but you still call them.

The umpire evaluators that I've talked to at the Pac 10 games all require balls to be called out virtually all the time. If that's what they want; that's what I do.

(You ever watch a NCAA game with an evaluator? I recommend it.)

Posted

Last night I was working on verbalizing the BALL calls. Kinda liked it. Every once in a while i would forget.

Guess I have to get used to it.

Posted

You call swinging strikes? I've never done that and have been taught not to.

everyone sees the swinging strike , we are taught only to gesture(silently) with whatever rt.hand mechanic you feel .

d62 blue

Posted

You are supposed to call virtually every ball and do so in a nearly identical tone each time, except if the pitch is a no-brainer

I also sell the close ball call (a little louder "ball" call) or something like "ball, that's outside". I won't use it all the time, but on a important count, I find it effective. I know from previous posts alot are not for this mechanic, but it works for me.

Posted

It's hard to believe that his topic has carried on for 10 - TEN - pages.

I'll say it right now - if you are not verbalizing 'Ball', and you have expectations of moving up to higher levels, then I will tell you right now that you are putting your chances at a much higher risk.

Bottom line: Verbalize 'Ball' as well as strike.

If you verbalize a swinging strike, then STOP doing that.

If you like doing low-level games, and you're a big fish in a little bowl, and you want to "do things the way you've always done them" then by all means, don't change. The guys that want to advance will listen - AND HEED - the advice that's been given here about how things like this are supposed to work.

:):Horse::Horse::Horse::Horse::Horse::Horse::Horse::Horse:

(Get the hint?)

Posted

I know it was like beating a dead horse, but now that Brian has illuminated this subject rather fully, we can probably wrap this thing up in no more that two, maybe three more pages.

Posted

It's hard to believe that his topic has carried on for 10 - TEN - pages.

I'll say it right now - if you are not verbalizing 'Ball', and you have expectations of moving up to higher levels, then I will tell you right now that you are putting your chances at a much higher risk.

Bottom line: Verbalize 'Ball' as well as strike.

If you verbalize a swinging strike, then STOP doing that.

If you like doing low-level games, and you're a big fish in a little bowl, and you want to "do things the way you've always done them" then by all means, don't change. The guys that want to advance will listen - AND HEED - the advice that's been given here about how things like this are supposed to work.

:):Horse::Horse::Horse::Horse::Horse::Horse::Horse::Horse:

(Get the hint?)

Thanks Brian. I've been thinking about giving up college, legion, & high school ball. My desire is to be a big fish in a small pond!

This forum has been so helpful. All I need is:

A powder blue shirt from Officials Choice so my ribbed CP will show. An adjustable beanie on top, with combo pants, obviously.

Don't say anything on balls - unless, of course, there's 2 strikes and it's close - then give the location just so everyone will know that I don't miss close pitches.

Pronounce "strike" on a swinging strike, just in case someone wasn't watching, I guess. "Dead Ball" instead of "Time". "Foul Ball" on anything, whether it's inside the fences or not. Good stuff.

I feel like I'm ready, but I may watch the Norm video one more time.

Just one question: Why is your little yellow guy hitting a sleeping jackass?

Posted

Thanks Brian. I've been thinking about giving up college, legion, & high school ball. My desire is to be a big fish in a small pond!

This forum has been so helpful. All I need is:

A powder blue shirt from Officials Choice so my ribbed CP will show. An adjustable beanie on top, with combo pants, obviously.

Don't say anything on balls - unless, of course, there's 2 strikes and it's close - then give the location just so everyone will know that I don't miss close pitches.

Pronounce "strike" on a swinging strike, just in case someone wasn't watching, I guess. "Dead Ball" instead of "Time". "Foul Ball" on anything, whether it's inside the fences or not. Good stuff.

I feel like I'm ready, but I may watch the Norm video one more time.

Just one question: Why is your little yellow guy hitting a sleeping jackass?

Good stuff Cardinalfan, we always like to help.:smachhead:

Posted

Thanks Brian. I've been thinking about giving up college, legion, & high school ball. My desire is to be a big fish in a small pond!

This forum has been so helpful. All I need is:

A powder blue shirt from Officials Choice so my ribbed CP will show. An adjustable beanie on top, with combo pants, obviously.

Don't say anything on balls - unless, of course, there's 2 strikes and it's close - then give the location just so everyone will know that I don't miss close pitches.

Pronounce "strike" on a swinging strike, just in case someone wasn't watching, I guess. "Dead Ball" instead of "Time". "Foul Ball" on anything, whether it's inside the fences or not. Good stuff.

I feel like I'm ready, but I may watch the Norm video one more time.

Just one question: Why is your little yellow guy hitting a sleeping jackass?

As an evaluator, I'm knocking you on one thing: You didn't verbalize "Fair Ball!"

Posted

Thanks Brian. I've been thinking about giving up college, legion, & high school ball. My desire is to be a big fish in a small pond!

This forum has been so helpful. All I need is:

A powder blue shirt from Officials Choice so my ribbed CP will show. An adjustable beanie on top, with combo pants, obviously.

Don't say anything on balls - unless, of course, there's 2 strikes and it's close - then give the location just so everyone will know that I don't miss close pitches.

Pronounce "strike" on a swinging strike, just in case someone wasn't watching, I guess. "Dead Ball" instead of "Time". "Foul Ball" on anything, whether it's inside the fences or not. Good stuff.

I feel like I'm ready, but I may watch the Norm video one more time.

Just one question: Why is your little yellow guy hitting a sleeping jackass?

Yeah, me too.

I'm also going to start ejecting loud parents & fans who disagree with my calls. That ought to get me into consideration for conference work. :hopmad:

×
×
  • Create New...