Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6004 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi guys. I did a search and didn't see anything on this so I apologize if it's been asked and answered. This is my first year as an ump.

How long do you usually give the coach for a mound visit? Are there any FED rules regarding how long the coach can stay there?

What I've been doing is letting the coach walk to the mound and as he starts talking I brush off the plate, wait a few seconds, then start walking toward the mound. I've never had to rush a coach off the mound, but I don't want them taking advantage of me either.

Thanks,

Frank

  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

What I've been doing is letting the coach walk to the mound and as he starts talking I brush off the plate, wait a few seconds, then start walking toward the mound.

Pretty much what I do. Not sure if there is an actual FED guideline for this.

Posted

The time allowed is directly proportional to the number and quality of GLMs in the stands.

Rule 13-12-1b, exception 2.

:rantoff:

Back to OP:

I brush off the plate, wait a 10 count and start to walk out.

Posted

The time allowed is directly proportional to the number and quality of GLMs in the stands.

Being a new ump I actually had to look that one up......

Posted

You mean the coaches don't like to wait until after you are doing brushing off the plate to call the time out for the mound visit. I get that a LOT!!

Posted

fbara,

My standard time limit for a mound visit is as follows.

After I grant the coach "Time" for the visit, I pull out my lineup card holder and record the visit. I then brush the plate (whether it needs it or not). I then walk to the mound. If the coach is still there when I arrive, I interrupt his conversation and ask, "Jerry, Are you making a change? If he says "No" I then say, "Then it's time to play baseball, let's go guys."

If it's a game with younger kids, I'll generally go a little slower because the coach may be having a legitimate "teachable moment" with his players, especially if they've been hustling during the change between innings.

If I believe the coach is making the visit with the primary purpose of discussing my strike zone with me, I will dispense with brushing the plate and proceed to the mound immediately after recording the visit.

JM

Posted

Being a new ump I actually had to look that one up......

Well, ump or not, hopefully you know what MILF is...GLM is the "kindler, gentler" version of it! :wow:

Posted

The time allowed is directly proportional to the number and quality of GLMs in the stands.

. . . divided by how much of ass the manager has been that day!

Posted

UmpJM, that is almost the exact response I gave the other day in another thread. If he decides to change then I record any incoming players and erase the visit from my book.

Posted

UmpJM, that is almost the exact response I gave the other day in another thread. If he decides to change then I record any incoming players and erase the visit from my book.

I don't erase, but I circle it. That way, if the other coach comes out later with a "he's had 3 visits" argument, I've got all the visits marked, even the ones that didn't count.

Posted

I don't erase, but I circle it. That way, if the other coach comes out later with a "he's had 3 visits" argument, I've got all the visits marked, even the ones that didn't count.

That's a good idea, thanks. I'm going to start doing that.

Posted

fbara,

My standard time limit for a mound visit is as follows.

After I grant the coach "Time" for the visit, I pull out my lineup card holder and record the visit. I then brush the plate (whether it needs it or not). I then walk to the mound. If the coach is still there when I arrive, I interrupt his conversation and ask, "Jerry, Are you making a change? If he says "No" I then say, "Then it's time to play baseball, let's go guys."

If it's a game with younger kids, I'll generally go a little slower because the coach may be having a legitimate "teachable moment" with his players, especially if they've been hustling during the change between innings.

If I believe the coach is making the visit with the primary purpose of discussing my strike zone with me, I will dispense with brushing the plate and proceed to the mound immediately after recording the visit.

JM

This is right on target with what I do.:Cool2:

Posted

If i do write it down and they decide to change i just draw a line through it.. I know what it means, the other coach doesn't not need to see how I make a visit count... SO if a coach come out I will give amount of time depending on which coach it is..

player.. I count to 10 then start walking..

AC... I count to 20/ make sure the plate is clean, then start walking.

HC.. record visit, clean plate if needed, wait a few more sec, then go out there.. I give about 30 sec for HC then start walking.. and a brisk walk, no a stroll, not a waggle, walk out there like it is your game...


×
×
  • Create New...