Look what I found ??

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4641 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

boyinr & nublue

How is the fit compared to WV Gold? What size of Gold do you wear...if you wear one.

My concern is 12" might be short but the 15" is going to be too long...

And fellas, please include your personal dimensions, for reference.

I wear M-L in the gold 5-8 200...

The 12 fits me fine in either gold or All-Star.

Gold has smaller plates, wraps around body nicely, and has more padding. A fine protector with max protection, however , for me, it feels bulkier to be sure and Even if well adjusted, occasional slippage may occur.

The All-Star, between the System Seven padding, the buckles, and the Delta flex harness, fits much more comfortably and securely. I never think about slippage..Again, my /experience opinion...

YMMV

I also wear a M/L in the Wilson WV Gold and have a 13" Douglas. I am 5'-8" tall and weigh 175 lbs. I think that there are a couple of the product testers that had the longer (15") version.

I wear M-L in the gold 5-8 200...

The 12 fits me fine in either gold or All-Star.

Gold has smaller plates, wraps around body nicely, and has more padding. A fine protector with max protection, however , for me, it feels bulkier to be sure and Even if well adjusted, occasional slippage may occur.

The All-Star, between the System Seven padding, the buckles, and the Delta flex harness, fits much more comfortably and securely. I never think about slippage..Again, my /experience opinion...

YMMV

Is the difference in padding significant? I know the Power has less than the Gold and the 4000 padding kind of looks more like the Power.

Thanks.

I would imagine that as more retailers find out about this model it will come to a similar price point to the Wilson Gold and Platinum models. I think that MSRP for the Gold is >$250 but is typically available for >$100 less than that at most every retailer.

The MSRP for a WV Gold is $274.89 and a Platinum is $249.89

Edited by boyinr

Hey Guys!

Thanks for the interest! It’s been fun watching the chatter going on!

FYI, there are about five guys on the forum (and a chuck of guys off the forum) who have been testing it since the end of June. If they want, they are more than welcome to post some reviews on the CPU4000. These guys were chosen because they have literally been giving us constant feedback for just about a solid year now. They have been extremely helpful during the development process of this thing. I had a blast interacting with them! Pretty neat. Everyone on this forum has been amazing! We received so much feedback and design inspiration from here!

This is technically a new item for the 2012 season. However, we will have limited inventory for the end of 2011 from mid September through November. First come first serve on those!

The retail price range is still up in the air because we do not set those, we leave that up to the stores which represent our brand. So, you will have to check with your local All-Star dealers. Unfortunately, it’s so new, no online retail sites will even have it listed yet.

Again, thanks for the interest and your patience!

Brad,

Will the early availability be directly through all-star or will it be through a local distributor? I have a group of about 100 plus college umpires intrested in this CP. I would like to try to get a hold of one before our fall meeting.

Thanks!

It looks pretty awesome and a great addition to the lineup. I do have just one concern. Couldn't quite see clearly in the pictures, but are the side belt buckles made of plastic? I had a Champro soft shell this year that had those type of plastic buckles, albeit a bit more exposed on the front than these appear to be (but not by much). Lo and behold, one got hit just right and broke. Contacted Champro and they wouldn't fix it or provide a replacement buckle, even if I paid for it. So a lucky hit on what is probably a $2 buckle rendered the whole thing useless. I'd hate for the same small oversight to plague this otherwise commendable effort.

For the want of a nail...

Guys, I've made a couple of calls and from who I talked to, it's coming in over $200, with an MSRP of $218

lets hope that this price isnt , if so it will be out of reach for many . with tax and shipping could be 250 + !!!! that isnt too budget friendly .

marc

In the final analysis, while perhaps not as bullet proof as the Wilson Gold, the outstanding fit and comfort of the CPU 4000 combined with the light weight, moisture management,and a lower profile makes this CP a winner all the way around.

NuBlue ....

How do you, or anyone else know that the CPU 4000 isn't as bullet-proof as the Gold ?

I have had the CPU 4000 since June. I only got to wear it once, but I will post an in-depth review soon. The short version is that I really like it.

slo...were you one of the testers? You must not have as much baseball in your area as we do in mine...I've worked over 40 games since the middle of June...about half of them being dish jobs. I think it will be hard to put together a quality review after one game...maybe a quick opinion...but not a review. :2cents:

I'll stick to my Carulcci, but I am glad to see new product with some innovations coming out. WV's are nice CP's but they are not the end all of protective equipment I hope.

Thunderheads,

Note that I said "perhaps" the CPU 4000 might not be as bullet proof. Having been part of the testing group for the CPU 4000 and an owner of a Gold, I have some experience with both protectors. I don't think there is any disputing that the Gold is more heavily padded, and has a well deserved reputation for protection. It is however, considerably bulkier, and, in my opinion, not as comfortable as the CPU4000, which is now my # 1 rig.

Hi everyone, ....

I am one of the testers Brad has mentioned, and I'd first like to say how appreciative I am of Brad and everyone at All-Star! It's a priveledge and an honor.:notworthy:

Ok, because I'm 5'11" about 225, and wear a 46 reg suit, ...Brad sent me a (15") CP. These measure 15 at the center, but go down to 16 as they wrap around your ribs. This version will be perfect for bigger guys covering all ribs. Remember, it won't sit like most 15 cps as these sits high up on your neck/collarbone area.

As pointed out already, .... and I will confirm again, ....this fit right out of the box with MINIMAL adjustments needed for that 'perfect fit'.

From top to bottom:

Great protection up top with the collarbone and neck area. It DOES sit high, ...higher than most, and for some it may take a little getting use to , but ...by my second dish, I was fine, and never noticed anything. Something I recognized immediately, ...is that in the 10 or so games it's been worn I never ONCE had to adjust it like I do my Douglas (push it up) ... you'll also see a lot of MLB guys doing this as well. Not this CP ...never had to move it once. :meditation:

The plates are well placed with minimal spacing but enough so they bend (sides) allowing you a wonderful fit right out of the box. As has been said before, ....the shoulders and collarbone are gap free without looking like a linebacker (even thought I look like one regardless!! :rolleyes: )

The harness is the cats pajamas!!:yippie: 4 point adjustability and incredible ease of putting the CP on and locking it down. No twisting of the straps,and no twisting of the body to fasten it either.

I love the overall design shape. It makes a ton of sense to have the longer areas at the sides as this is where you have 'accessibility' of getting hit in an exposed lower rib. This design feels short up front, but protective along the sides, ...very, very nice.

The padding seems thin, and feels very low profile when on. That said, it's got a sturdiness that must be felt to understand what I'm saying. Iv'e taken 2 bangers with this CP ..... one off my shoulder, and one above my right "boob". I didn't feel either of them whatsoever. Granted, these were thrown by 12 and 15 year olds, ...they had a little behind them with the 15 year old of course being the quicker pitcher. I'm not concerned with the protective quality of this rig, .... we've all seen the air-gun All-Star uses to test their stuff.

One of the last tourneys of the season was a hot one, ...and I felt just as comfortable, if not moreso in the All-Star than my Douglas. Let's face it folks, ...CPs can get hot regardless.

This is a well thought out, slim, comfy, protective, good looking rig, and I'm sure it'll do very well.

And speaking of good looking .... who's the dude in the picture of the new CP on the site??????:cheers:

Thunderheads,

Note that I said "perhaps" the CPU 4000 might not be as bullet proof. Having been part of the testing group for the CPU 4000 and an owner of a Gold, I have some experience with both protectors. I don't think there is any disputing that the Gold is more heavily padded, and has a well deserved reputation for protection. It is however, considerably bulkier, and, in my opinion, not as comfortable as the CPU4000, which is now my # 1 rig.

crap, I'm sorry ...I mis-read that and at the same time, misinterpreted it too!! my bad!:bang:

Thunder...

Great review of All Star's new rig. Question...at 5'11" did you find the CP too long? I am 6'2", 265 with a 48L jacket. I have measured and tried on WV Plats and felt they were too short to give me total rib covereage...I measure 15"'s from the top of my sternum down and it hits me at the top of my stomach...feels like it might be too long. But if the CP measures 14"s in the front that hits me about right.

Thunder...

Great review of All Star's new rig. Question...at 5'11" did you find the CP too long? I am 6'2", 265 with a 48L jacket. I have measured and tried on WV Plats and felt they were too short to give me total rib covereage...I measure 15"'s from the top of my sternum down and it hits me at the top of my stomach...feels like it might be too long. But if the CP measures 14"s in the front that hits me about right.

Yes, ... 14 in front, ... 15 on the sides for rib coverage.... let me see if I can doctor the pic on the All-Star site , ok ?? Sit tight ....

I have the Champro Mag mask...love the weight, hated the pads and changed them to Wilson Doe skin. How is the vision? I am thinking about giving a system 7 HSM a shot to get better vision...

Like ALL All-Star masks.....I thought the vision was/is excellent!

I got mine more like early July to be accurate. Probably called 10 games in that time. Mostly three man crews. Forgot to throw the gear in one day I had the plate and it arrived while I was working a plate. Not a lot of ball going in the part of east Texas I am in right now. I called a couple of Junior League Allstar games and the rest was a college summer league.All reviews are really opinions anyway. The two guys that have already posted really said everything I would have to say. The protector seemed cooler than my gold (the high temp was 110 the day I wore it....it was still 98 when the game finished at 10pm) and just about the low profileness of my Douglas. I think I had it adjusted a liitle to tight on my neck area, but that can be corrected. No slippage at all from the delta flex. Can't wait to get umpire style delta flex harnesses on my gold and Douglas. Being able to remove the padding is a also a huge plus. Much easier on the all star than on my gold.Not sure what if a anything changed from the tester we were sent to the production models, but I really see it replacing my gold as my #1 next season. I have the shorter version and I am a beefy 5-10 280. Seems to fit great. I like it better than my 15 Douglas which is too long, I wear the biggest size gold and this seems to cover everything the gold covers.I can't say enough about all-star. Getting to help in the design process and then getting testers (which eas totally unexpected) was great.