any Lou Pinella's out there

umpire08

hey guys any of you have a coach/player go absolutley nuts over a call i have have not been a part of any of those but i want to know if any of you vets or newbie's have had anyway coach/player kick dirt on your shoes or or anything like that those kind of outbursts are not fun but maybe you guys have some expericences that you would like to share thanks umpire

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a coach during a championship game, thrown out by my partner, and I ran over to get in between the two, then he started to kick dirt on me, if that counts? Oh, might I add he had apparently been thrown out if every single game before this during the playoffs. I really don't care what they do as long as they don't harm anyone else or myself.

Had a coach during a championship game, thrown out by my partner, and I ran over to get in between the two, then he started to kick dirt on me, if that counts? Oh, might I add he had apparently been thrown out if every single game before this during the playoffs. I really don't care what they do as long as they don't harm anyone else or myself.

What kind of organization keeps a coach around to get thrown out of a game especially since he was thrown out of "every single game before this during the playoffs."??

Had a sitch this past Spring season. I am BU. Had already warned/educated pitcher quietly that he needed to come to a complete stop during stretch delivery. Called him twice for Balks for same reason earlier in game. Bottom of the 6th (LL Jr.), didn't realize it at the time, but the home team was up by 9 runs. The visiting team needs to win this game to continue on to post-season play. I am in C, Runners at 2nd and 3rd, pitcher doesn't come set again, I yell "THAT'S A BALK!".

Here is where it gets fun. Run scores, ends the game by mercy rule. I didn't realize this at first because I was too distracted by what was unfolding. The catcher comes barreling out from behind the plate, sprinting all the way to the pitcher's mound, yelling like a mad man, throwing the ball straight into the ground as hard as he can, and then proceeds to throw his helmet across the field all the while yelling at me "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? ARE YOU CRAZY? DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING?" I actually thought for a split second that the confrontation was going to get physical. He was completely out of control. The pitcher had to actually grab him. Of course at the same time the coach, who just happens to be the catcher's Father, is running out of the dugout with pretty much the same tirade.

The real bummer of it - Couldn't toss anyone cause the game was over, as well as the season. Just walked off the field shaking my head.

Had a sitch this past Spring season. I am BU. Had already warned/educated pitcher quietly that he needed to come to a complete stop during stretch delivery. Called him twice for Balks for same reason earlier in game. Bottom of the 6th (LL Jr.), didn't realize it at the time, but the home team was up by 9 runs. The visiting team needs to win this game to continue on to post-season play. I am in C, Runners at 2nd and 3rd, pitcher doesn't come set again, I yell "THAT'S A BALK!".

Here is where it gets fun. Run scores, ends the game by mercy rule. I didn't realize this at first because I was too distracted by what was unfolding. The catcher comes barreling out from behind the plate, sprinting all the way to the pitcher's mound, yelling like a mad man, throwing the ball straight into the ground as hard as he can, and then proceeds to throw his helmet across the field all the while yelling at me "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? ARE YOU CRAZY? DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING?" I actually thought for a split second that the confrontation was going to get physical. He was completely out of control. The pitcher had to actually grab him. Of course at the same time the coach, who just happens to be the catcher's Father, is running out of the dugout with pretty much the same tirade.

The real bummer of it - Couldn't toss anyone cause the game was over, as well as the season. Just walked off the field shaking my head.

What are you doing in the C position?....:)

Big Time Travel Showcase Teams.18-U

Semi final game......winner plays immediately following game for championship.... I Called a batter out on a curve ball that the catcher dropped.........nice pitch, F2 just muffed it........Catcher and Batter begin to have words....there had been some tension between the two teams........I get in between the two and steer batter to his dugout.........

The next thing I know the 3rd base coach is coming up behind me screaming about the pitch being "in the dirt"...........

this was an ejection from the moment that this assistant coach ran in screaming about balls and strikes................

But he proceeded to have an almost psychotic meltdown.........screaming about "I should never talk to his kids"..........then "being homered"...............( funny aside...tourney in OHIO, 3 man crew all from PA).............spittle flying everywhere.........everyone, including his team and team parents are stunned at the scene.........He runs into his dugout and grabs a bat and starts beating the fence with it...............tournament director has his finger on the 911 button on the cell.....he stops ranting and promptly leaves..............

The only way to describe his outburst to me is "temporary insanity"........bordering on psychotic..............................

Down side..........in this tourney, no additional penalty for ejection.....he could come back for the championship game.............which he did as his team won the game.........(so much for being homered)........................

Coach spent entire championship game in dugout, never said a word to anyone..........

What are you doing in the C position?....:)

That is FED mechanics, this is where my association wants us to be. In a discussion with a member of my baseball committee about using the FED mechanics versus PBUC/CCA I was told "Those mechanics are great when the players know what they're doing, but all to often at HS and below they don't." And more specifically we were discussing a similar situation to Jboval's where I was told, "Being in the C position there is no reason an umpire shouldn't be able to make it to the B side of the working area for the play at first."

That is FED mechanics, this is where my association wants us to be. In a discussion with a member of my baseball committee about using the FED mechanics versus PBUC/CCA I was told "Those mechanics are great when the players know what they're doing, but all to often at HS and below they don't." And more specifically we were discussing a similar situation to Jboval's where I was told, "Being in the C position there is no reason an umpire shouldn't be able to make it to the B side of the working area for the play at first."

:):);):):nod::):kissass: It was just a light hearted bump for the thread......

Even if you can't eject them after the game, it doesnt hurt to write them up anyways.

Threw out a guy in a Co-Ed adult softball league this fall over runner interference(his teammate bowled the SS over in an attempt to go around the SS fielding the ball). He was screaming asking for time to go talk to the league director. Told him he couldnt have time because he didnt have an argument and that he did not need time to go talk to the guy.

Finished the inning still complaining and dumped him. He gets hysterical again and stands toe-to-toe with me asking me what I was going to do about it, him being about hundred pounds better than me. Actually gives me a little headbutt and to this day I still do not know why I didnt make him spend a night or so in the county jail.

Had a manger stay on the field for 15 minutes a year or two ago. But but none of them threw anything. I honestly don't care what they do. If they wanna make an ass of themselves I say let them. Defiantly not gonna try talk them in to stopping. Let them get suspended, it wont hurt my feelings.
14 minutes too long. Personal, profane, or prolonged arguing are justifications for a toss. If you honestly don't care what they do they will continue to come out and blow up on you, because they will know you will do nothing.

Had a manger stay on the field for 15 minutes a year or two ago. But but none of them threw anything. I honestly don't care what they do. If they wanna make an ass of themselves I say let them. Defiantly not gonna try talk them in to stopping. Let them get suspended, it wont hurt my feelings.

14 minutes too long. Personal, profane, or prolonged arguing are justifications for a toss. If you honestly don't care what they do they will continue to come out and blow up on you, because they will know you will do nothing.

First of all I would like to clarify... The manager in question was ejected about 45 seconds into the argument on a play at 1st by my CC for a remark of a personal nature. He stayed on the field for an estimated 15 minutes according to our 3-man on the crew (who started his stopwatch).

Once they are ejected I don't care what they do. I can't do anything about it. Can't physically grab them and make them go. It all just goes into the report and they get a bigger fine, and in this case a suspension.

Trust me I would never let them get away with any personal comments, "showing me up" or prolonged arguing. Just the same I wouldn't necessarily limit them to one minute in every situation. (i.e. Hypothetically you change a home-run call that would give one team or the other the lead. You might give the manager a little rope as long as he's not doing any of the things that are automatic ej's.)

So he was there another 15 min. Where were the cops in this situation?? A little slow to respond I'd say!

If you mean cops as in partners we were there but nothing we could do about it. If you literally mean police officers this was a professional game and you don't get the law enforcement involved unless a player or whoever is going after someone with a bat or something :clap:

Hi arbiter22

You say this was pro ball?? OK I will ask this anyway..As the clock ticked along and this guys act was getting old..Did the thought of advising said manager that a FORFEIT would happen if he did not leave ever creep into your mind?

He could not declare a forfeit......:clap:

NovaScotiaBlue, Yeah man we can't really have a forfeit. Plus it would have to come from the CC and I was the 2-man. Not saying the forfeit thing isn't a good idea. But the teams are in it for money and if we have a forfeit they could lose a lot of money that day. It's a business and money talks.

Btw, widac, thats pretty good :clap:

one time i was working a 12-13 year old game. it was a 2 man game and i was behind home plate. with one out and a runner on third, there was a ground ball to SS. he looked the runner back, and then threw to first. The first baseman caught the ball and was very clearly off the base. i could see it from where i was standing. My partner made what i thought was a very clear safe call, he spread his arms wide and then motioned that the F3 was off the base. Meanwhile, R3 had broke home. F3 threw home and got R3 out on a close play. after my out call, for reasons i do not understand, all of the fielders began running off the field. i think that this was because one or two kids started running and the rest followed because there was no way they all thought they had the out at first.

Anyway, the BR advanced to second on the throw home and after the catcher threw the ball towards the pitchers mound as if it was the end of the inning, the BR kept on running. he scored about the time that the pitcher started to go into the dugout.

By now the fielding coach was confused. he asked me what had happened and i told him that the call at first was safe, the fielder was off the bag before he received the ball. He went nuts. he started yelling out to my partner saying it was a bad call and whatever. I told him that was enough, any more and he was gone, and he stopped right away. i would have tossed him pretty quickly though because i have had him before when he got riled up. one story ends with him laying in center field for 15 minutes by himself in between a double header.

One more funny thing about this coach was that after his team got killed in the playoff game, he came up to me and my partner and took a picture with his camera phone of each of our faces, which i thought was very funny. The head umpire was right there and started yelling at him for it.

Just a quick word of advice about game management, stop at the,"That's enough!" Adding the second part isn't needed and could blow up on you. I realize you are talking 12s so the coach may not be as sophisticated as with older kids but he will learn. If you tell him that's enough and he keeps on then toss him and explain in your report that failed to stop arguing after a proper warning.

Just a quick word of advice about game management, stop at the,"That's enough!" Adding the second part isn't needed and could blow up on you. I realize you are talking 12s so the coach may not be as sophisticated as with older kids but he will learn. If you tell him that's enough and he keeps on then toss him and explain in your report that failed to stop arguing after a proper warning.

Absolutely.....amen...they know after this statement what will happen if they persist