Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Gfoley4

sliding past 2nd on ball four

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Jimurray    542
2 hours ago, noumpere said:

Missed call.

And the reason why most of us would pick deep B with R1 in 3 and 4 man. But he did end up in deep B and was looking at a foot on a glove. Rule kick?

johnnyg08    1,498

Florida mgr was out there for nearly three minutes on this play. No crew consult. No EJ. Did not result in Vand scoring any more runs. Florida ended up winning the game late.

Gfoley4    61
1 hour ago, johnnyg08 said:

Florida mgr was out there for nearly three minutes on this play. No crew consult. No EJ. Did not result in Vand scoring any more runs. Florida ended up winning the game late.

Is the video linked from your youtube channel? It's an awesome channel, love to see interesting baseball plays

MadMax    1,215

I had this exact situation unfold for me. My participants made it easier, surely, by R1 making a bolt for 3B and getting tagged out.

The umpire in this video botched the call.

• Like 1

BrianC14    422

Ouch.   This can happen at any base, so it pays to be mindful of going beyond the bag even during a base award.  How many times do we see B/R make a turn at 1B after a BB?  F2 lobs the ball down to F3, just hoping. ...  :o

ricka56    1,062

I'm all for good (slow) ball/strike timing/mechanics, but you should try to verbalize BALL before F2 risks throwing the ball into CF on Ball-4 with R1 going on the pitch.

Jimurray    542
16 minutes ago, ricka56 said:

I'm all for good (slow) ball/strike timing/mechanics, but you should try to verbalize BALL before F2 risks throwing the ball into CF on Ball-4 with R1 going on the pitch.

I wouldn't go to great lengths to prevent a throw. F2 might want to risk it for an overslide such as in the OP or an appeal of a swing. 

noumpere    2,412
9 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

I wouldn't go to great lengths to prevent a throw. F2 might want to risk it for an overslide such as in the OP or an appeal of a swing. 

It's SOP to make the ball 4 call a little more quickly than usual in such situations.

ricka56    1,062
13 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

F2 is free to take that high risk/low reward chance with all the info needed to calculate it. 

kstrunk    204
24 minutes ago, noumpere said:

It's SOP to make the ball 4 call a little more quickly than usual in such situations.

So... do we call 'ball FOUR' for every walk, or only on 3 balls with runners? Is it a matter of mechanical preference? Asking objectively because I'm not in the habit of verbalizing 'ball FOUR'. 

Gfoley4    61
7 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

Ouch.   This can happen at any base, so it pays to be mindful of going beyond the bag even during a base award.  How many times do we see B/R make a turn at 1B after a BB?  F2 lobs the ball down to F3, just hoping. ...  :o

IIRC the B/R can overrun first on a walk in OBR, but not in FED

noumpere    2,412
32 minutes ago, kstrunk said:

So... do we call 'ball FOUR' for every walk, or only on 3 balls with runners? Is it a matter of mechanical preference? Asking objectively because I'm not in the habit of verbalizing 'ball FOUR'. 

I can't tell  you anymore what the specific manuals say, nor how anal your group / evaluators will be that you follow any "right way" for your group. -- I always said "ball" "ball" "ball" "ball 4"

• Like 1

BrianC14    422
1 hour ago, Gfoley4 said:

IIRC the B/R can overrun first on a walk in OBR, but not in FED

The B/R is protected to first base in all codes.  If the B/R were judged to have turned toward 2nd base, that puts him at risk of being put out.  (Note, a turn, not just an over-run).

noumpere    2,412
3 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

The B/R is protected to first base in all codes.  If the B/R were judged to have turned toward 2nd base, that puts him at risk of being put out.  (Note, a turn, not just an over-run).

The BR is not protected if he overruns first on a walk in FED.  And, it isn't a "turn" toward second that's a problem -- it's an attempt to advance (although that attempt can be very slight.)

• Like 1

BrianC14    422
1 minute ago, noumpere said:

The BR is not protected if he overruns first on a walk in FED.  And, it isn't a "turn" toward second that's a problem -- it's an attempt to advance (although that attempt can be very slight.)

Agreed.   As stated, B/R is protected "to" first base in all codes.   FED has their own deal with merely overrunning, which can put B/R at risk.  

MadMax    1,215

I'm with @noumpere on this one, @kstrunk. It is a clearly enunciated "Ball four", stated loud enough so most of the infield can hear. Even though the prior three balls pitched went unannounced because they were obviously balls, the fourth one I have made a habit of announcing in this way. I never say "Take your base" nor do I ever gesture in any manner towards first.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2017 at 9:13 AM, kstrunk said:

you should get into a really great habit of calling ball 4 every time..

• Like 4

kstrunk    204

FYI, NCAA put a video out on this (original post) today. 

spiffdawg7    54
25 minutes ago, noumpere said:

And ....?

They said the runner should have been out because the award ended when he went the past the base.  They also said that the crew should have come in without being asked because it was a rule misapplication instead of a judgment call. 

jjb    151

Figure it this way; if F2 throws the ball into the outfield, the OC is going to want to advance the runner, right? I've got an out...

Jimurray    542
3 hours ago, spiffdawg7 said:

They said the runner should have been out because the award ended when he went the past the base.  They also said that the crew should have come in without being asked because it was a rule misapplication instead of a judgment call. 

If I was part of that crew I would not think that that rule was kicked by my college colleague and probably would assume he saw a safe unless I had a clear view of the play and/or my partner was "that" guy.

noumpere    2,412
4 hours ago, spiffdawg7 said:

Good.  I agree on the first part (out) and if I know why he called it, I agree on the second part.  That's a little tougher, but it's pretty obvious in this case, I think.