Partners mistakes

Umpire_ar
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2576 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So this is isn't intended to throw anyone under the bus. I need some advise. My partner tonight in a 2 man setup on the bases wasn't up to snuff. Not hustling, weak calls, and just a flat attitude. Don't get me wrong, I have my off days too, but this didn't seem to be an off day. I talked to my assigner about him so he didn't have to hear it first from the coaches.

How do you explain the importance of hustling? I tried and it didn't sink in.

One of the coaches told me, "He's making you look bad." And that's a first for me. I screw up plenty myself.

Again not throwing anyone under the bus. Just don't know how to handle this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't fix stupid nor lazy. Do your job, and pray he doesn't put you in a jackpot. Personally, I drink (editted...I mean after the game). Bet your assigner knows all about his laziness. He needed a warm body and it was your turn to suffer.

Beimid ag ól!.

• Like 3

How was your pregame? Did he seem to know what to do? Any idea what his motivation is? In any case what you can control is the example you set. Hustle, signal and take your rotations, communicate. Be the very best you can be and it's bound to have an effect on his behavior. Good luck, don't let coaches divide you from your partner no matter what.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Umpire_ar said:

One of the coaches told me, "He's making you look bad."

Actually, this comment is a positive reflection on you, as the coach noticed the difference. When I work with a guy like this, and in my area it happens ALL THE TIME, I try to kick up my focus even higher, and MAKE SURE the difference between my partner and I is absolutely noticeable, even to my lazy partner! 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Umpire_ar said:

How do you explain the importance of hustling? I tried and it didn't sink in.

After you've been faithful and honest in a constructive and friendly way with no attempt on his part at change (assuming you work with him multiple games), tell the partner you're gonna notify the assigner that you'd prefer to not work with him, and then do so. If nothing changes, you might want to work somewhere else. 

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

A wise man once told me:

Get in.

Get done.

Get out.

I have found that the advice works on baseball umpiring as well.  ;)

I think he may have told you that in regards to women............... :D

@Umpire_ar - I'm not an umpire, however, I could suggest after you notice the issue, still occurring, you can remind him that his lack of hustle and effort will be noted by the coaches and could jeopardize future assignments, which of course would hit him in the wallet...    fear and greed too very powerful motivators (in general)

7 hours ago, stkjock said:

m not an umpire, however, I could suggest after you notice the issue, still occurring, you can remind him that his lack of hustle and effort will be noted by the coaches and could jeopardize future assignments, which of course would hit him in the wallet...    fear and greed too very powerful motivators (in general)

It's a threat lost on most.  

I have yet to run into any umpire association in any state, province, city, or town that is so flush in umpires that they would willingly remove an umpire at the cost of having no umpire, except in the most egregious (ie. criminal) cases.    Players, coaches and parents, in most cases, would rather have a below-standard umpire than pull a parent out of the stands.

Or worse, because nobody wants to work with them the sub-par guys end up doing the solo assignments.  At least with two-man crews the coaches have some reprieve that some portion of the game is going to be handled professionally.

@ricka56 is right -- you can't fix him. And yes, you can take the coach's comment to you as a positive, but what he was trying to do was shame you in some fashion, which is juvenile at best and manipulative. Every one of us has to tolerate sub-par performances -- coaches included. It's unfortunate, but it's the way it is.

Now... how do we fix it? That answer is long and involved since doing so requires a systemic, organizational approach that I'm willing to wager none of our associations can undertake. At the level most of us work, do your best, show some hustle, constantly learn and improve. In the end, we're the only ones we can control.

Having said that, umpire associations need bad umpires, too, because someone has to be assigned the low-level games so those of us who improve can move up. Maybe look at it as an unfortunate necessity? 

• Like 2

On 3/17/2017 at 9:49 PM, ElkOil said:

Having said that, umpire associations need bad umpires, too, because someone has to be assigned the low-level games so those of us who improve can move up. 

Such as sad, sad statement.

Sadder that it is also very true.

• Like 1

I know one or two like this. I guess I take the approach Kyle mentioned.  Try to stand out all the more for hustling and doing your job right.  Unfortunately, this is an older guy who's been doing it forever and sets a poor example to the new guys.  Then, he stands back and complains he never gets anything above Freshmen ball and few games.  I guess it's obvious to everyone but him why he isn't getting the games.  

Yet, he gets games because everyone needs warm bodies to cover the lower levels, especially in rural OH where I am.

Bottom line, try to help and then leave it to him. You can lead a horse to water...

As many have said above, this will happen a couple times a season.  Sadly, in high school and below, some of these dudes may even be crotchety assigners who take games just to make more money and have absolutely no respect for the game or its players.  They will show up with their navy or powder blue shirt with ketchup and grease stains, faded pink flat front heather grey paints, met guards hanging off their shins over no plate shoes.  It won't happen every game, but they will drag you into SH*#, miss rotations, and walk out with copenhagen snuff slobbered all over their face.  Best thing to do is umpire your game and read your manuals.  If they try to teach you, say ok and leave it there. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have two guys in our LOCAL (non-High School) Association that does everything from 6u through Middle School.  They've both umpired for far longer than I and the "better to best" umpires in our association.

Our Association assignor put it this way, "They both suffer from the same disease ... they don't want the responsibility and accountability of calling HS ball, so they look at the level of ball they get assigned to (mostly 12u and Middle School) as "not warranting their best efforts."

They won't take a pregame seriously, they will do everything in their power to limit the number of steps they take in the field, and they stand in A and do the one thing we press every official NOT to do ... be non-commital.

My favorite partner was put with one of these guys the other day for a single MS game.  After watching his antics in the first inning, he called him in and flat out said, "JOHN -- you need to hustle!  I have to know how to read you when you're in A.  Either go out hard or commit to coming in hard, and I'll do the opposite of what I see you do.  When you look like $hit, I look like $hit, and we both look like $hit.

This umpire - fake name John - went to the OTHER lazy umpire - fake name Don - and told him that fake name TOM got "all over me" last game trying to impress everyone with his precise NCAA mechanics.  "He's just being a pri--."  Then Don went to the Assignor to share this story - taking John's side.  Our Assignor has known their reputations for years, and he's decided to try to keep them together as a pair, and not subject the rest of us to it.

No one has the luxury anymore to fire umpires unless, for example, they show up drunk to a game.  The pay is bad, the annoying fans/parents/coaches can drive you to drink, and less than 10% of the people ever stop you and wave with a "Great Job, Mr. Blue!"  We're all sick puppies to sign up for the gig I suppose.

• Like 1