JV personal best

All JV should be three innings or 75 minutes - whichever comes first!

Good job though in all seriousness, that’s keeping them moving!

I had a 10-0 Varsity in 75 minutes last night. 

In Ohio, we can’t quit until five innings are played, regardless of score. Or if coaches mutually agree to stop earlier.

Tonight, I had a 2-1 ten inning game in under 2.75 hours. You win some, you lose some.

• Like 1

Illinois adopted a 2-hour time limit on all JV and under games.  Of course, most schools are still only paying $60 because of that.  (Run rule here is 15 after 4, 10 after 5.)

My personal best was a full 7-inning varsity game in 1:18.  The home team scored 1 quick run in the first inning and NO runner made it to second base after that: double-plays, thrown out stealing, or 3rd out of the inning.  Pitchers were not wasting pitches and batters were swinging at the first thing they saw.  I never went to C after the first inning.  Doubt I will ever see anything like that again.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Illinois adopted a 2-hour time limit on all JV and under games.  Of course, most schools are still only paying $60 because of that.  (Run rule here is 15 after 4, 10 after 5.)

My personal best was a full 7-inning varsity game in 1:18.  The home team scored 1 quick run in the first inning and NO runner made it to second base after that: double-plays, thrown out stealing, or 3rd out of the inning.  Pitchers were not wasting pitches and batters were swinging at the first thing they saw.  I never went to C after the first inning.  Doubt I will ever see anything like that again.

Those are definitely the good days!   I’ve had a couple like that over the years and they’re something to savor!

• Like 1

TN in my area plays the JV’s at 5 innings or 1:15 drop dead followed by V game to start 30 mins after. Only pays $30 for the JV time frame then $90 for the V. One school in my area plays 2hour JV games w/full $90 V rate.  These guidelines set by TSSAA.  I had a 65 minute 2-1 final in 5 yday with both P’s dealing. Hardly ever get those but this was actually 2nd one that quick this season.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

AZ is 2 hour (maximum), no new. Schools may elect to do 1:50 or 1:45, and the school AD and/or Varsity coach can direct that the JV game ends “drop dead” if the Varsity game needs to be started. Run rules 15 after 4, 10 after 5. $62 for that game. 

Most of the outlying “perimeter” schools, beyond the Phoenix metro area, send 1 bus, with JV (if they have it) and Varsity softball, and JV and Varsity baseball all on that bus. So, on those, we’ll have up to 4 umpires all in the same lot! Woot! 

By contrast, the bigger metro schools will do “exchanges”… the JV squads of both bat sports will go to the opponent’s school, while the Varsity squads will be at the “host” school. This gets problematic for us (umpires) because we now have to cover two sites, not just one. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MadMax said:

By contrast, the bigger metro schools will do “exchanges”… the JV squads of both bat sports will go to the opponent’s school, while the Varsity squads will be at the “host” school. This gets problematic for us (umpires) because we now have to cover two sites, not just one. 

This is what happens in Bay Area, CA for all schools (in my experience) other than early before JV season starts.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Velho said:

This is what happens in Bay Area, CA for all schools (in my experience) other than early before JV season starts.

Part of it is that most fields don't have lights. Only the richy rich ones do.

16 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

16-1, run ruled after three innings in 75 minutes.

~Dawg

Nice! Best I've gotten is a varsity game is 90 minutes for a 5-inning, 10-run rule, game.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Subvarsity here we have no new inning after 2 hours, drop dead at 2:15, as well as a 15 run rule after 4 innings. We get $65 plus mileage (only one driver per game crew).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Old Skool said:

TN in my area plays the JV’s at 5 innings or 1:15 drop dead followed by V game to start 30 mins after. Only pays $30 for the JV time frame then $90 for the V. One school in my area plays 2hour JV games w/full $90 V rate.  These guidelines set by TSSAA.  I had a 65 minute 2-1 final in 5 yday with both P’s dealing. Hardly ever get those but this was actually 2nd one that quick this season.  

I like most of that but am going with a sad face.  5 innings is a "full" game and should be full pay.  If we get a reduced game check ($30 - $45 tacked on to a full game), it is fully understood the JV is capped at 3 innings.  (The 2 hour time limit is for full games.)

10 hours ago, MadMax said:

Most of the outlying “perimeter” schools, beyond the Phoenix metro area, send 1 bus, with JV (if they have it) and Varsity softball, and JV and Varsity baseball all on that bus. So, on those, we’ll have up to 4 umpires all in the same lot! Woot! 

When I played in Illinois, that first method was how we worked.  I went to a small, rural school though.

Nowadays, not many schools are that smart.  That also brings up my soapbox point: yes, we have an officials' shortage, but there are also WAY TOO MANY GAMES being played.  Needing 4 umpires when you could have done with two illustrates that.  I have been asking JV coaches how many games they have on their JV schedules and have been floored by the answers: 25 to 32 (not counting Freshman or Sophomore specific games).  THIRTY-TWO JV GAMES?!  Plus we having pitch limits!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Man in Blue said:

When I played in Illinois, that first method was how we worked.  I went to a small, rural school though.

Nowadays, not many schools are that smart.  That also brings up my soapbox point: yes, we have an officials' shortage, but there are also WAY TOO MANY GAMES being played.  Needing 4 umpires when you could have done with two illustrates that.  I have been asking JV coaches how many games they have on their JV schedules and have been floored by the answers: 25 to 32 (not counting Freshman or Sophomore specific games).  THIRTY-TWO JV GAMES?!  Plus we having pitch limits!

Parents want to watch their kids play a sport and some want to envision them making it to the show. It's better to have them on a field getting their butt kicked than doing whatever else, other than homework or reading, that would keep them occupied. It's a chore that I endure but am paid for it. And while it's bad baseball I do see many positive things from either dugouts in my neck of the woods. no bad sportsmanship, no taunting, positive coaching from coaches that have been pressed into sevice, positive encouragement among the players including the kid that could, in some environments, be bullied, and kids that play the game to the best of their ability behind 20 to 0. i get to do the bad and the good and the bad keeps you using your rules knowledge or finding that you lack it.

• Thanks 2